• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Bleeding ABS on OBD-1 Suburban

Tinker

Reaction score
I suspect I have air in the ABS unit on my 94 Suburban. Is there a way to bleed the unit without a scan tool? Hoping for some of the same jumper wire magic as with the lift pump rather than taking it to the local shop. I've not been able to find anything in web-land or even on this forum.

It can take a few times doing it like that. I found waiting a few hours between times helped.
The computer really is the best method.

It can take a few times doing it like that. I found waiting a few hours between times helped.
The computer really is the best method.
I'm glad you said that. I went out later to move the truck and the brakes were much firmer this time. I think I'll bleed the wheels again this weekend and see where I stand. Thanks @Will L.

92-94 units also have bleeders at the abs unit you have to bleed.
I thought I had read that somewhere and I see two bleeder screws on the unit. But I haven't found any procedures for this, i.e. do you simply loosen-press on the brake-tighten as you do at the wheels? Or do you need to bleed at the ABS with a scan tool/command unit?

You bleed the abs bleeders just like at the wheels, but I believe you need to also rebleed the abs bleeders after actuating the abs unit.

Back