• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Bigger oil pan?

kojo

diesel head
Reaction score
Hi,

Is there bigger oil pan available that would fit these C/K series trucks?
i'm planning add bybass filtration system or at least remote mount original filter, but more oil volyme couldn't be for bad

You should gain 1-2 liters of oil with a remote bypass, I wouldn't bother with a larger pan. Leo

I am wondering the same...but i seem to have room.... :) there are many benefits to the HD! :D

I agree... Leaf springs, more clearance, more gvrw, no tornsion bars, solid front axle, wait, no front axle :(

Never being underneath an HD, is it possible to put a Transcase and solid front axle on one of those?

Logically, I think bigger oil pan won't add anything. Better filtration will help the longevity of the engine.

Logically, I think bigger oil pan won't add anything. Better filtration will help the longevity of the engine.

On the topic of oilpans. Anyone ever hear of them rotting out on these? I have some crusty going on, and i'm afraid to scrape it clean to see what lies beneath.

I saw this same crusty on the bottom and scraped it clean a few years back and proved solid. This crusty is more upfront and up by the flange/block. .. Chasing a nasty oil leak, I know my cooler lines leak, so It must be that.

Bigger oil pans allows for there to be more oil and allows for the oil to remain cooler which in turns helps with everything else in the engine to remain cooler. But i would recommend doing the filtration system you get the extra oil plus get more filtration which is always better for a engine.

I went with bypass filtration which added about 2 qts more, then added aux cooler & deep pan to trans, which also lowers the heat load on engine cooling/oil temp by proxy, plus helps trans stay alive longer.

Bigger oil pans allows for there to be more oil and allows for the oil to remain cooler which in turns helps with everything else in the engine to remain cooler. But i would recommend doing the filtration system you get the extra oil plus get more filtration which is always better for a engine.

Where can you find such a thing?

I have seen the larger trans pan or larger rear diff cover to add more oil. But not larger oil pan.

I know the bypass like Amsoil or FS or OilGuard are all adding between 1 to 2 qts of oil capacity.

Do the larger oil pan needs bigger oil pump?

There would be no need for a bigger oil pump, all you would be doing is increasing the oil reservoir from which the pump pulls its oil.

PML makes a really heavy cast alum. deep pan for the 4l80e. 1/2" thick flanges. Kinda spendy,$325. B&m and tci also make deep pans for the 4l80e.

PML makes a really heavy cast alum. deep pan for the 4l80e. 1/2" thick flanges. Kinda spendy,$325. B&m and tci also make deep pans for the 4l80e.

As I mentioned, I know about the trans pan, there are a few of them PML and B&M as you said. There are also Hughes, Derale, TCI, etc from Summit, Mag-Hytec. PML and Mag-Hytec also makes the larger Rear diff cover.

My question is there any bigger ENGINE oil pan because I have never seen it sold anywhere.

As I mentioned, I know about the trans pan, there are a few of them PML and B&M as you said. There are also Hughes, Derale, TCI, etc from Summit, Mag-Hytec. PML and Mag-Hytec also makes the larger Rear diff cover.

My question is there any bigger ENGINE oil pan because I have never seen it sold anywhere.

I think the Hummer/military engines come with one that is too big for our trucks to fit if that helps. There is little room down there for any size increase, and still maintain some kind of removable accessibility.

from personal experience it is a pain in the ass to get the stock one off and a stock one back on with out taking off a bunch of stuff. ie crossover pipe, motor mount bolts, jacking up motor, bell housing from transmission. I have never seen any bigger and if there was it is it would be even more of a pia to put back in. the other route is pulling the motor Jerry

Never seen one commercially, I think at Page there was a member there that had a custom one built, which is only way, I've seen out there.

If trying to put on a K1500 truck forget it, no room period, frame square tube on 1500 truck is lower than that used in a 2500/3500 truck or C1500 burb, engine sits deeper in frame, and why I had heck of time plumbing my IC when I 1st installed it, before going ATT and not needing/removing it.

Back