• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Best paint for inside steel wheel/ rims?

DieselAmateur

She ain't revved 'til the rods are thrown...
Reaction score
I have the same issue on several steel rims- one my front tractor tire, the other steel rims for the pickup. The inside of the rim is rusted enough that the bead won't seat fully so I have perpetual slow leaks.

The tractor tire in particular bugs me as it's only 13 years old and is mostly kept in the barn, so it shouldn't be rusted beyond repair. Plus I don't like putting tubes in farm equipment. I can plug a tubeless tire in the field and get on my merry way, with a tube not so much.

I'm going to wire wheel/ sandblast the mating surface and re- paint to hopefully fix the issue. My question is whether there is a specific paint/ finish that works best with the rubber, or is there a type of paint like an oil enamel that won't play nice with sealing the tire bead. Trying to not overthink it, but don't want to monkey with it more than I have to. Opinions/ suggestions welcome

Probably the most bullet proof would be powdercoating. Just be careful not to chip it during tire install. Lot of guys like por 15 but my experience with it is that it chips really easy. Otherwise the cheap route would be rustoleum rusty metal primer and a topcoat.

I didn't know you could get galvanized rims, I'll keep that in mind for my equipment trailer!

I put this brush on stuff on my fuel tank, would it being oil base and high gloss make it any better or worse than a rattle can?

It also comes in a rattle can but not sure if it's the same oil base or not

Powdercoating is about $75/ rim, can get a lot of rattle cans for that amount. I'd definitely use the oil base on the outside of the rims, just wasn't sure if its glossy finish would be beneficial or detrimental. Probably go with the rattle can for frugal sake. Thanks for the input gentlemen

Not recommended for those who still have teeth.:happy:
Foam fill is nice. But tires still rot. I foam filled one front tire on the old backhoe. It's getting quit old now 1975. I've had it about 25 years.
It has a sidewall puncture and was not repairable. It's been foam filled for maybe 15 years now.

I'm afraid that pretty soon I'm going to have to replace tires. Just due to age. They warned me when I had it filled, that this day would come

From what I've seen the foam fill is more like cured silicone caulk. Sure makes a wheel heavy.

I seen it used on a couple of applications . One on a backhoe that was half torn off and it was still usable , if you didn't mind the constant " flapping " when driving it . Most of the time the old tire has to be cut off the rim , or just buy another rim , but for ease of mind knowing that tire is not going flat ever should count for something . I will say , don't ever drop one as they are heavy .

There is a company called Amertyre -https://amerityre.com/
They are WAY lighter than regular foam filled ones. They been trying to go for into big time production for years but need mega millions to do it.

If ever looking for a foam fill and they make the size you need- strongly consider them.

The have one location not far from my house.

Back