• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Best fluid for 4l80e

arupert

Reaction score
Has anybody got a fluid recommendation? Especially for heat reduction. On E4OD's using some 10w30 mobil one helps with heat but then that tranny gets real hot. TIA

dexron 6, not only new tranny's but retro to mid 70's I believe. its synthetic and I always add a bottle of lubegaurd. have not checked amsoil or others.

Great I did not know about dex 6. Something odd to me when I tried mobil one tranny fluid in a E4od it seemed to shift slower, like you would expect if the weight were thicker in a manual tranny. With dex 6 did you notice any change in shifting? Also did your guage show any temp decrease? TIA

not noticeable, however lubegaurd got a toasty tranny from middle of new mexico back to fort worth after burning fluid. I have noticed a lighter wallet after switching to dex VI, $6.+ a quart. I have not looked at aftermarket synthetics yet,only what GM specs on all auto trannys.

Lubegard is cool stuff, I stopped a bad shudder in a E4OD with it and also added just a little to a cranky noisy steering box and both stopped their anoyances.

not noticeable, however lubegaurd got a toasty tranny from middle of new mexico back to fort worth after burning fluid. I have noticed a lighter wallet after switching to dex VI, $6.+ a quart. I have not looked at aftermarket synthetics yet,only what GM specs on all auto trannys.

Hi, docdray can you emphasize a littel more for me about the lubegaurd, i don`t think i can buy it here, never heard of Dex 6 thats new to me.. maybe it hasn`t landed here, yet,, you know the Big Oil Country..

Last edited:
How would the Royal Purple ATF be in these? That's what I was thinking about putting in there next time..

sorry for long post in advance,
lube gaurd has been out for quite a while. it is a friction modifier and fluid conditioner(helps reduce friction, extend life of fluid and tranny) look up on web.
dexron VI was developed by GM of Canada in conjunction with Petro-Canada and Afton Chemical Corporation. The main difference between Dexron-VI and prior Dexron releases is the added low-temperature performance and shear stability due to its build and lowered viscosity. (6.0cst) It is considered to be lifetime fill and is expected to last 100-150K under all service conditions

DEXRON®-VI ATF
General Motors Powertrain has recently upgraded to DEXRON®-VI ATF with the start of 2006 vehicle production.
Only 2005 and prior models that currently use DEXRON®-III may use DEXRON®-VI as a replacement.
All 2006 and future models that use DEXRON®-VI are to be serviced with DEXRON®-VI fluid only.
DEXRON®-VI is an improvement over DEXRON®-III in the following area:
DEXRON®-VI
Extended Factory Fill For Life 160,000 km (100,000 mi) For Cars and Light Duty Trucks*
80,000 km (50,000 mi) (Severe Use) For Cars and Light Duty Trucks*
Clutch Friction Stability Improved 100%
Clutch Durability Due To Fluid Improved 120%
Oil Film Thickness Increased 20%
Fluid Oxidation Improved 100%
Foam / Aeration Improved 150%
Shear Stability Improved 200%
* These ATF change intervals remain the same as DEXRON®-III for the time being.
2006 Transmission Fill and Cooler Flushing
Some new applications of the 6L80 six speed transmission will require the use of the J 45096 -- Flushing and Flow Tester to accomplish transmission fluid fill. It is highly recommended that the clean oil reservoir of the machine be purged of DEXRON®-III and filled with DEXRON®-VI.

General Motors has introduced a new ATF specification it has termed Dexron® VI. GM decided it needed to upgrade its ATF specification to accommodate the Hydra-Matic 6L80,
its first 6-speed automatic. This fluid is the new service fill and factory fill specification for all Hydra-Matic GM transmissions. It will be used as a factory fill for all 2006 MY Hydra-Matic automatic transmissions starting on April 4, 2005, and it will be mandatory service fill by January 2007. Dexron® III(H) or Dexron® VI can be used for service fill until January 2007. Dexron® III(H) approvals will be valid until December 31, 2006. Dexron® VI is backward compatible with previous Dexron® formulations. Dexron® VI will be offered through GM Vehicle Care products in dealerships and service centers in Summer 2005.

GM believes this new ATF is two to three times better than the best Dexron® III(H) fluid on the market, today. Some of the enhancements of the Dexron® VI include significantly improved shift performance and fluid durability as well as superior pitting protection, oxidation stability, foaming protection, and shear stability.

also look at Redline D6 ATF Full Synthetic fluid, Mobil DEXRON-VI ATF, Allison Castrol TranSynd , Valvoline has a full synthetic Dexron VI, Royal purple GM - DEXRON VI no RP equivalent,

Brilliant write up docdray.

I have a headache maybe you can help with, putting the solenoids in the tranny found on the 1-2 solen, the star bolt is been messed up it seems from the factory coz no one else has been there..

Got some idea how i can get this out, with having to drop the other piece as you know it`s round headed & there's not much room to work, i`v sort of ruled out drilling,as i feel it needs to be surgically clean there.

The only thing i can think of is to re-test it if ok leave it there, as i was thinking about a Transgo upgrade when the warm weather arrives

will a pair of needlenose vise grips fit?, 2 other ways I have used-both can ruin bit- use JB weld to attach socket to bolt(smaller socket that way jb weld gets in torqhead slots), or tack weld when all else fails. I do not beleive an easy out will fit in there?

Dexron VI seems a good alternative to the higher priced synthetic ATF s out there ( Mobile 1 etc ) . I have also had good results with Lubegard ( red in Dexron ) . I bought several bottles of it it when it got a Long Mfg stacked plate ATF cooler at www. bulkpart .

Last edited by a moderator:
Amsoil also sales a ATF for the Chevrolet/GMC. Ask the local oil guru! :thumbsup: He will help you out and keep you on the road. ):h

Back