• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

before and after GM-8 to an ATT

HANK1948

Reaction score
Just thought I would post a couple pics to show the significant difference of the little tiny inefficient GM8 to the free flowin ATT.

I also ran some 0 to 60 times pulling my 32ft 8000lbs Travel Trailer with the GM 8 and will do some with the ATT

I will post the results:thumbsup:

Attachments

• IMG00114.jpg
    IMG00114.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG00117.jpg
    IMG00117.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 51
I've never actually seen the difference in size, side by side, comparing the BW and the ATT turbos. Wowser. Holy tubines, batman!

Hank that's a real world test also, pullin' and workin'. Can't wait for the verdict.

I think that is how the Heath TM works on the GM-8, it changes the position of the actuator rod to a GM-4 orientation.

Leo

position of the actuator on GM-5 and 8 is vertical, 3 - 4 is horizontal, and are not interchangeable.

Also the location of the wastegate itself, 3 and 4 is located in the turbine housing (as in the top photo), and 5 and 8 is in the exhaust elbow.

position of the actuator on GM-5 and 8 is vertical, 3 - 4 is horizontal, and are not interchangeable.

Also the location of the wastegate itself, 3 and 4 is located in the turbine housing (as in the top photo), and 5 and 8 is in the exhaust elbow.

Sure about that? Seems to me the connection is as Leo indicated... you can tell which one is installed by looking at the bolt position.

If you still don't see it, you can look on Heath's website to see the differences, or maybe somebody else will post a picture of theirs to illustrate..

Just a thought, don't shoot the messenger, but you are intercooling hot air. What if you went back to the old school airbox (I'd send you a flat panel one I have) and pulled cool air through the turbo right into the intake?

I wonder what the differences in IAT would be. Hot underhood air, cooled via intercooler, vs. cooler outside air injected directly?

Love the comparison photos.

Looks like my Gm-8 w/ TM.

Sure looks nice with the ATT. I will defanately snatch one up next year....

Anxiously awaiting results.

The ATT turbo makes a big difference in all around feel of the truck. I think that gm would be proud of the combination. The truck runs like it was designed to. The KOJO ATT chip I have been running with the turbo has made some substantial gains in the seat of the pants feel and boost levels. I can get a sustained 18 psi at WOT. That sure makes me feel warm and fuzzy at 3000 rpm. Boost seems more responsive also with the chip.

I think that we may start selling the chip. Still a little more testing needed and a nice tow with it then it will probably be for sale through Veg Out.

The ATT turbo makes a big difference in all around feel of the truck. I think that gm would be proud of the combination. The truck runs like it was designed to. The KOJO ATT chip I have been running with the turbo has made some substantial gains in the seat of the pants feel and boost levels. I can get a sustained 18 psi at WOT. That sure makes me feel warm and fuzzy at 3000 rpm. Boost seems more responsive also with the chip.

I think that we may start selling the chip. Still a little more testing needed and a nice tow with it then it will probably be for sale through Veg Out.

Can you talk him into a reflash for OBD-2? I'll need one if I ever get around to fixing the 98.:sad:

Leo, you need to fix that 98... have you managed to pry the 95 out of your wife's hands, yet?

Can't wait to hear the results, I am also working on a project truck with the ATT but we are going for a new HP record. However HP and Torque go hand in hand with towing so we will see how it does. All the best to you.

Ian

Leo, you need to fix that 98... have you managed to pry the 95 out of your wife's hands, yet?

Yes, yes I did. I got it today so I could change the oil to a 0/40 weight for winter and fix the exh. vibration it had:sigh1:
I hate to open the 98 up in a welding shop, time is also a consideration. I think I'm going to get one of those portable garages to put the truck in, inside the shop to keep dust off it.:thumbsup:

Leo

That air filter set-up is definately heating up your intake air temps a significant amount. When I first got done with my DMAX swap I had the air filter just laying in behind the headlight where the passenger side battery would be and I would see 120-150 degree IAT's on a 95 degree day cruising. Bear in mind this was still away from the engine a good bit and not directly in line with the fan pulling air through the stack. After putting the shield in around the filter IAT's dropped down to within roughly 10 degrees of outside air temps. These temps were all taken via EFILIVE which reads at the mass air flow right behind the air filter. I would have hated to see how hot the IAT would have been with the filter that close to the engine.

I think I'm going to get one of those portable garages to put the truck in, inside the shop to keep dust off it.:thumbsup:

Leo

They work really good in non snow season. I got one of the tent type ones to use while I was replacing the motor in my turck. We got the first big snow 12" we've gotten in 5-6 years and I was up hourly shaking the snow off of it and the army tent I have up. The tarps and bungie cords won't hold the snow load.

It's also helpful to tie a grid of cord to the frame before you put the top tarp on to keep water from puddling.

On the other hand a propane heater and/or kerosene heater kept it nice and toasty to work in.

Well since Nov of last year after i got my ATT installed drove it around a little wanting to pull the camper to get a before and after result. As I was driving it one day I heard a pop and noticed I had a nice turbo whistle but my max boost was only peaking @ 10psi.
So after all this time checking for exhaust leaks,fuel leaks and intercooler piping leaks to no avail. I dont drive this everyday only to tow. So that why its taking me since november to fix it. Other than the max boost it was fine. Actually the turbo made ALOT of noise it sounded sweet!

I was just about to put another turbo on that Dennis gave me, I figured I want to take this apart for shits and giggles to see by chance theres any thing wrong. To my amazement there was pieces of cast iron lodged in the small scrolls of the turbo and thankfully they didnt hit the impeller!
They must have come from the manifold that finally broke loose.

Now I have 15psi WOT but no were near the turbo whistle I had!

So come thursday I am heading up to the U.P.(upper peninsula for all you non michiganders) camping. Finally i will be able to post results for the before and after results!

The pics are the pieces of cast iron chips that i got out and the other pic is them in the turbo

Attachments

• IMG00407.jpg
    IMG00407.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG00406.jpg
    IMG00406.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 13
Back