• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

BD Quick Spool Valve Install with Pics

DID you catch the fact that Suburbank is running a stock tune as well and you are running a high performance tune? Also Suburbank has 3.42 gears. Just saying!

I run 2.7 to 3,2 at cruise with no load and around 5 to six loaded and the boost gauge moves in time with the fuel pedal give it fuel and the boost comes up right now. Towing heavy was never an issue for me, torquing the frame with my set up in first creeper gear was though:always use second to start unless I was heavy like at 27,800, That is a respectable tow.

Very rarely did I ever see over 1150 with the tune I was running while towing and that was up a one mile long 10 percent grade from flat to the top in one mile in upper Michigan, Was in second gear at the top. The goose neck trailer was like having an anchor, stop and go traffic in town was also fun with a stick and that kind of weight.

I have noticed that a load will increase peak sustained boost on the ATT from 14-15 PSI to 18 PSI. This would be WOT with a trailer on the 1993 into a grade vs. unloaded. So the more load the more boost.

Low RPM and high boost for towing is bad even on a 2008 Duramax. In another GM tune rushed to market GM leaves you in 6th gear, double overdrive, pulling a light grade with heavy throttle. It should downshift sooner with the load and high outside air temps or even when the ECT starts to run away. Even after putting a rather large dead zone in the temperature gauge it will move when things are getting hot. Lack of water pump RPM and fan RPM even with a 25" fan made towing with 245 ECT "normal" for us. This cooked off the passenger side battery and split a heater hose over 100K miles or 1.5 years from new. It also thinned out the engine oil and set off 'low oil pressure stop engine' alarms. It even cooked off the oil cooler hoses for the aftermarket oil cooler I installed a couple times.

The 2008 Duramax would also start to ping like a gas engine as ignition delay went down due to heat build up on the grade with double OD and the ECM did not retard timing. CAC hot, ECT getting hot, boost and timing staying the same as IAT goes up all lead to faster diesel ignition after the injection event. This would over advance the factory timing for conditions and ping the engine. Even though the timing stayed the same it needed to be retarded.

These light grades you want to pull in the highest gear possible can be lugging the engine and sending oil temps through the roof. I was watching my bottom line as well when I was forcing the Allison into 5th to keep ECT in check.

Just in case you missed it

Suburban K2500 6,5td. F 1994 256000 km.

3 pillar gauge Boost-exhaust-tranny temp.
3,5 inch exhaust.
No Cat
Marine injectors.
3.42 rear
Custom hood scope
Custom top mounted Intercooler setup
Pull fan under Cooler
Push fan in front of AT oil cooler
AT@T Turbo
K-47 Air box AFE Dry media filter
3 Banger MPC Tune(not installed yet)
GMTD Scan Tech

Also
[h=2]
icon1.png
[/h]

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Slim Shady
Very sweet set up. Gjorde du har sier Cajsa Holgersson hjelpe deg med tune? Han kan gjøre de tre måte tune i tillegg.tune virkelig skal gjøre trucken kommer til live.

Hi Slim

Was that Google translate ?, not impressed with Google translate
1smile.gif

The setup works very nice, will use the GMTD to se when the ATT starts to Spool, i cant say there is any noticable lag with this setup.
the cooler flows great, and the IAT is also very nice.
Will probably install the tune in the weekend, and make another test run, will be exiting to se if it makes a big difference.
Will post results when the test is done.
I have The 3 banger from Buddy​

I think if you look at the top of his video it says with stock tune. Unless I made a mistake. Look at the top it says without tune.

So a few weeks ago i started on planning for a better setup.
I bought a 600x300x76 intercooler rated at 700CFM, K-47 filter box, AFE filter, new turbo, and a 3 step MPC tune.

All but the Tune is now installed, and i am very pleased with the result.
I got a lot of help from a great guy at this forum.
Going to let the turbo break in properly before i install the Tuning.
The results so far is looking very nice, very little lag and nice IAT´s.
Love the sound from the new turbo.

Cruising in 55 mph i get 19 degrees IAT
WOT up a hill of 30 degrees a 73 mph i get 35 degrees IAT
Outside temp was 14 degrees.
0-100 km\h 9-10 sec.

Above is a quote from a thread started by Suburbank2500 on 7/29. http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/sh...tall-of-A-Team-turbo-amp-Intercooler-complete

Suburbank has a very nice setup. His speedometer is also off quite a bit, at least 10kph at those speeds, so youll have to take that into accout. I only know that from other conversations. His 0-60mph time is likely almost 12 seconds in reality, still very quick for a stock chip and if its 3.42 gears.

Suburbank has a very nice setup. His speedometer is also off quite a bit, at least 10kph at those speeds, so youll have to take that into accout. I only know that from other conversations. His 0-60mph time is likely about 12 seconds in reality, still very quick for a stock chip and if its 3.42 gears

That's what I get with a stock tune also. 12 seconds, and if you look at my vid the computer is hanging out to prove that, also if you look at my dash vid while I'm driving you'll see the CEL come on from overboost and set a defuel code, I didn't see the CEL light come on in his vid, but I was in in iy longer I think. Suburbank has 4.10s I believe and that's worth at least a second over my 3.42s.

http://youtu.be/w-fndm3deV4

Just in case you missed it

Suburban K2500 6,5td. F 1994 256000 km.

3 pillar gauge Boost-exhaust-tranny temp.
3,5 inch exhaust.
No Cat
Marine injectors.
3.42 rear
Custom hood scope
Custom top mounted Intercooler setup
Pull fan under Cooler
Push fan in front of AT oil cooler
AT@T Turbo
K-47 Air box AFE Dry media filter
3 Banger MPC Tune(not installed yet)
GMTD Scan Tech

Also
icon1.png

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Slim Shady
Very sweet set up. Gjorde du har sier Cajsa Holgersson hjelpe deg med tune? Han kan gjøre de tre måte tune i tillegg.tune virkelig skal gjøre trucken kommer til live.

Hi Slim

Was that Google translate ?, not impressed with Google translate :)

The setup works very nice, will use the GMTD to se when the ATT starts to Spool, i cant say there is any noticable lag with this setup.
the cooler flows great, and the IAT is also very nice.
Will probably install the tune in the weekend, and make another test run, will be exiting to se if it makes a big difference.
Will post results when the test is done.
I have The 3 banger from

Ok back on track A nice thread on the BD valve. Also found out from a knowledgeable person that Mazda invented the original design and used it on their rotary motors so they could use a larger turbo. Was a production item until Mazda scraped the idea.

http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95730

Post 11 shows the production use on a Mazda rotary.

Also a very good thread on the subject of quick spool valves.

http://www.enginebasics.com/Advanced Engine Tuning/Quick Spool Valve Test.html

I think I will take one of the larger housings and make the valve built in guess 6.5 gets to be the first person to use it if I can get it to work.

There is no need to send him my turbo. I have performed the same tests with the ATT as the HX40 I'm running and am posting all results on YOU-TUBE.

1) Stop attacking people just because they don't get the results you want to advertise so you can sell more turbos. Let's all put our pride aside and move forward.
I'm not in competition with you or anyone else. I'm not selling turbos, just buying them and trying them.

I test them and let the chips fall where they may, no agenda, I promise you that. That's why it's so frustrating when you get involved.

Even after all the crap you started over on the other site with me and others alike, I'm still giving this turbo an honest account and being unbiased in my testing and reporting of how it works on my truck.
You're the reason that I didn't post my results here or start a thread here. The answer from you is always the same if someone doesn't get good results, [It must be the truck].

Well Dennis it's not always the truck, if I had a 5spd that I could rev out of the hole to15/1600 rpm than maybe my results would be different. This turbo has bottom end lag especially when run on an automatic trans PERIOD! Why else would we be reading about a spool valve being used with an ATT on a M/T truck no less.

2)I have reported that there must be something wrong with my truck as I couldn't believe that I couldn't get more than 10lbs. of boost with your beloved ATT. I also posted that I found a restriction in the intercooler with pics of what I found. I was also dissapointed when after everything that I've checked and rechecked,F/P, boot leaks, manifold I/E leaks and so on and now can only get 14lbs. of boost. And through it all from day one since it's been on there no matter what I do it still doesn't start spooling until 2000 rpm ON MY TRUCK.

3) Sending my turbo to 6.5 would be a bad Idea, because he would love the way it would spool on his M/T truck with 4.11 gears. I get 0to 60 in 8 seconds with 3.42 gears and the HX40, he would probably get there in under 7 if he knows how to shift and then he wouldn't want to put the ATT back on his truck unless he drives above 3,500rpm all the time, that's where the ATT might have an advantage.

It also is pretty good on the highway as I only have 1/2 lbs. boost and backpressure at 80/85 mph 2,400rpm.

4) If you know someone with a suburban and 3.42 gears and the same or close setup as me than we have a bet.
If you win you can sing the praise of the ATT and I will leave this forum forever.

If I win you take the ATT turbo off the market and leave this forum forever so we can live in harmony and get back to bettering the 6.5 with other options that are out there instead of beating a dead horse.
Why can't you admit that this turbo isn't for everyone, and that so far there is no one turbo that is the magic bullet do all turbo.

5) If you would just relax and let me and others finish the testing of the ATT and find out if it really is my truck or the turbo, you would look the wiser if your attitude would change, including all the keyboard jabs and thinly veiled threats when people don't agree with you.

6) I will start an ATT thread with documentation or contribute to someone elses if allowed by the mods if they belive that I can be unbiased and if Dennis doesn't go to the mods and put a stop to it before it can even get started.
I think it would be great for all ATT owners to put vids in an ATT build thread so we can compare how it works on different trucks with different setups so we all get educated on the ATT.

If this is possible without getting ugly and getting at each others throats, I give my word to be civil and professional with grounds of me being banned forever if I break my word.

I can't be any more forthright than this. ROBZOMBIE

I'm sorry for jacking your thread 6.5, I'm sure you're a great guy and don't deserve this crap and I promise not to do it again no matter how Dennis trys to call me out.

I'll give this a go in public.

Let it be known now. Everyone better read the site rules here, yes, even you guys that are in Blue (vendors).

We have started making use of the infraction system here on the forum, smart ass remarks as what I've highlighted in Bold just earned you your first. Congratulations!

I believe a few members in this thread have been canned because they can't keep it together.

For one, I don't talk to Dennis, I don't know Dennis, all I know is a payment is recieved for this guy to sell turbos. Do I think his turbo is good? I have no idea, why? Because frankly I don't give a shit. I don't own a 6.5, never have owned one, and NEVER will own one. If you going to ask why, well, it's not hard to figure out why. They are not powerhouses to say the LEAST, I could go on, and it all comes down to personal preference... You know what they say about assholes & opinions...

This post about is not directed just to you RobZombie, it's to the forum in general.

I will say this, the general tone in this thread by all parties have been pretty calm(past 24 hours?) and each side discussing the good & bad, and that's the way it should be.

Mine was in 9 seconds, and if I read your speedo correctly it was 10 and that is pretty dam close to eachother.

It's not in your sig, what gears do you have. being a 2500 it's 4.10s right?

If we had the same gears it would be a better comparison, I can only guess that I would be 2/2.5 seconds quicker instead of 1 second faster than you if I had the same gears as you.

I will see how the ATT does in the 0-60 in my truck after checking a few more things out.

I know I won't come close to your times with The ATT because with my 3.42s the truck feels like it has an anchor holding it back off the line and leaves a smoke fest until I get to 2000rpm.

I have 3.73 rear
Info from Compnine
GT4
AXLE,REAR,3.73 RATIO 3.73R(GT4) - G80 AXLE,REAR,POSITRACTION,LIMITED SLIP POSITRACTION L/SLIP R/AXL(G80

Will install the tune today and make new testrun at the same location as the last one.

A little correction.

From the sticker in the glove box it says 3.42 and compnine 3.73, i have to check this facts to be shure.
here is my VIN: 1GNGK26F6RJ344866 if anyone have other places to check it out.

Thanks

Suburbank has a very nice setup. His speedometer is also off quite a bit, at least 10kph at those speeds, so youll have to take that into accout. I only know that from other conversations. His 0-60mph time is likely almost 12 seconds in reality, still very quick for a stock chip and if its 3.42 gears.

Thanks Buddy, i had forgot that my speedo is off, its been like this since i bought the truck.
Will test it with the GPS also today to be 100% sure.
Will also verify the rear, if its 3.42 or 3.73

It seems like it was proven to work, but I already went with the BD unit and am happy. I doubt I am going to try anything more to the truck. I am pretty happy with where it has gone. Almost the same concept as one of those switchblade turbo's. I would really like to see one of those ran on a 6.5L but they are kind of pricey.

will start an ATT thread with documentation or contribute to someone elses if allowed by the mods if they belive that I can be unbiased and if Dennis doesn't go to the mods and put a stop to it before it can even get started.
I think it would be great for all ATT owners to put vids in an ATT build thread so we can compare how it works on different trucks with different setups so we all get educated on the ATT.

That was a question, not an insult!!
To give me a 20 point infraction is ridiculous.

I have been civil and respectful in all the posts on this thread.

I don't own a 6.5, never have owned one, and NEVER will own one. If you going to ask why, well, it's not hard to figure out why. They are not powerhouses to say the LEAST, I could go on, and it all comes down to personal preference...

^This statement could be taken as an insult to the 6.5 community also then.^

Please remove the infraction and issue an apology to show that you have no agenda and are fair in your judgement of all posters.

Respectfully THE ZOMBIE

I'm gonna try to get some video today so stay tuned. I know that there is a lot of bickering going on, but I'm not gonna lie, I'm having a lot of fun with my 6.5L (dyno, making power, video's for you guys). Regardless of the setup, it has been a fantastic truck since day one and I hope to never have to sell it. I want to keep it forever. As mentioned, the 6.5L is not the powerhouse the more modern diesels are, but that is what is great about them. Any average Joe can take a Duramax or Cummins or Powerstroke, slap a chip, intake, and exhaust on them and make them fast and powerful, but it takes true ingenuity and drive to take something that was never meant to be fast, and make it fast. The 6.5L crowd is a breed of its own, and I love that. So can we seriously stop the bickering please and negative attacks and start working to show that the 6.5L is not the dog that some think it is.

I'm gonna try to get some video today so stay tuned. I know that there is a lot of bickering going on, but I'm not gonna lie, I'm having a lot of fun with my 6.5L (dyno, making power, video's for you guys). Regardless of the setup, it has been a fantastic truck since day one and I hope to never have to sell it. I want to keep it forever. As mentioned, the 6.5L is not the powerhouse the more modern diesels are, but that is what is great about them. Any average Joe can take a Duramax or Cummins or Powerstroke, slap a chip, intake, and exhaust on them and make them fast and powerful, but it takes true ingenuity and drive to take something that was never meant to be fast, and make it fast. The 6.5L crowd is a breed of its own, and I love that. So can we seriously stop the bickering please and negative attacks and start working to show that the 6.5L is not the dog that some think it is.

Ignore the bickering, at the end of the day it's just white noise.

Best way to deal with it is just ignore it and it will eventually die out.

Keep on keepin' on.......ya doin' fine!

:cool:

Back