• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Battery Questions

colbythekid

Reaction score
I am in the market for new batteries and positive and negative cables for both sides. I was wondering if anyone had any input on what type of battery connection was better the GM side post or the top mount that every other car manufactures seems to use. I prefer the top mount ones when it comes to jump starting another car because it seems to provide better contact for the jumper cables.

Based on this principal I would assume that the top posts also provide more surface area for positive and ground connections. I figured that since I need to replace both the batteries and the cables at the same time if the top mounts are better I would pick up some batteries with the top mount and cables that are also top mount.

Thoughts?

Thank you

Colby

Top Post. Side Post can't Pull as much Power.

I've had Optima - Nothing but Problems...Odyssey - Pretty good Performance, but Short Life: 3-4 Years.

Currently run the Biggest Battery Napa has to Offer as a Direct Replacement and no Complaints.

The set from ptwiring in the vendor section looks like the best available, I wound just ask to pay a bit more for top post, James is right top post is a lot more draw capacity than side.

I get batteries with both top and side post connections. Pull from the side post and run to the top post to eliminate the troublesome double side post positive connection. Some batteries hate this - running like 2000 CCA through the single top to side internal connection. Ideally I should run top post driver side to side post passenger and pull to the starter from the top post as the top post have more current capacity. (I do it backwards and starter from side post. Works so far, but, as said above a better way to do it.) You could also run both positive cables to the starter like modern diesels do.

If you run individual to the starter it is best, just make sure you get equal charge to them from the alternator.

My batteries are from the top post with a marine adapter and the cables just have eyelet lugs. Then a 3/8 nut to hold em down.

I like the factory cable setup with dual post batteries. great for jumping, looks clean. if I cant start it in the winter, I will re-evaluate, but I have never has issue getting enough juice to the starter with the GM system.

Back