• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Batteries goes toes ups.

Ok, I have a quick question in regards to the military truck statement. Is it actually a military M1008, M1010, M1028 or M1031? Those were equipped with quasi 12V/24V systems that had two independently ground alternators and a 24V starter. Was your truck converted to a 12v system before you got it? Did it still have the 24V starter on it? You may have some "conflict of interest" within your wiring harness if not correctly swapped over to 12V only setup. The alternator wiring arrangement was peculiar. The two battery lamps in the upper left instrument panel representing each alternator comes to mind.

There are links on the net specifically discussing the proper way to do the 24V to 12V conversion on the CUCVs using dual alternators to maintain the 2 batteries.

Not insinuating you've done it wrong, just suggesting that some CUCVs have been sorely abused by previous owners. (I'll let you guess how I know about that.)

It was, it's 12v now. Was done right and problem is recent. I'm good at electrical, I'm pretty sure it is a defect in something I've installed, not the installation.

Update.
Per a fancy new multimeter I don't really understand and didn't come with a manual...
It has a Millivolt draw of 24-35 and a milliamp draw of 5.5
Yesterday it rained. I had my automatic charger on it and it started cycling on and off. It normally does not do this. It was under the hood and dry.
My two battery cables run along the frame, inside of a split loom. They are 4-0 cable, fine wire core. They may be welding cable, I'm not sure.
Before I start calling the battery company about my expensive batteries, what else could it be?

In regards to the red top batteries that you are referring to, are they sealed AGM batteries? You said they were remote mounted in a box? No possible moisture or condensation tracking between the battery posts? Where are you grounding the batteries? Directly to the frame, close to the batteries and again at the engine compartment? Or grounding remote in the engine compartment to the engine block? The rain possibly causing issue with the charger creeps in.

Another possible issue could be the wiring of the CS144 alternators with their new pigtails. Different than the 2 original isolated ground 27si that came on it originally. Double check your pigtail connections.

AND for those that are unfamiliar with the military CUCV version of these vehicles I will add a PDF from Roscommon Equipment Center about their conversions done for the many volunteer fire departments that put the CUCVs to work in their after lives. (But I'm getting a message that the file is too large to upload at 1660KB) But I WILL get it loaded and post to let you know where it is.

EDIT: PDF LINK:
www.thetruckstop.us/forum/files/nn10.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
AGM Batts. Using the cucv bus bars. All the cables are good. I'm going to drive an hour and a half to an interstate battery dealer and do an exchange after talking to the manufacturer on the phone.

OK, from personal experience, while you are working on the batteries, go ahead and remove ALL the wiring from the buss bars, remove the bars and clean everything thoroughly. Think Scotchbrite pads and contact cleaner on the bars and the ring terminals. They can be pitifully corroded from the neglect being hidden behind those plastic covers.

Oh, BTW, another quirk of the CUCV is that if the GEN2 bulb in the dash is burned out, Alternator 2, the drivers side alternator will not work and not charge the rear battery.

Those are gone with the cs144s. They have a seperate excite wire plus the light wire. There's not many original wires left in the truck. Mostly the wires running to OEM lights. I did change out all the sockets tho. One of those already rusted out.

3 hours driving. Dealer only had one new one for exchange, is going to get another if both the batteries test bad. Says he'll get it to a site closer to me. I had to do some calling to optima, but they were stand up about it on their end.

I tried Optima once, didn't last good for me. Limited accessibility here too. Went with NAPA batteries next zero issue's.

Don't laugh, but I have NEVER had any issues with the batteries I get at Sam's Club. The pair of commercial dual posts (1 year warranty) I got for my 94 lasted 8 1/2 years! The pair in my 98 Burb I got in January of '11 (72 month prorated) are still going strong. Same with the battery (72 month) I bought in March 2010 for my 95 (green) Camry that then wound up in my 95 (white) Camry three years ago and now resides in my 2005 Camry for the past six months with NO indication of dying any time soon. BTW, these are NOT Optima batteries, which IMHO, are NOT worth the price for their hype or lack of longevity. Just standard lo-maintenance batteries. (I don't consider "No Maintanence" batteries to be no maintenance. I still pull the caps and check the water levels in the cells quarterly.)

Don't laugh, but I have NEVER had any issues with the batteries I get at Sam's Club. The pair of commercial dual posts (1 year warranty) I got for my 94 lasted 8 1/2 years! The pair in my 98 Burb I got in January of '11 (72 month prorated) are still going strong. Same with the battery (72 month) I bought in March 2010 for my 95 (green) Camry that then wound up in my 95 (white) Camry three years ago and now resides in my 2005 Camry for the past six months with NO indication of dying any time soon. BTW, these are NOT Optima batteries, which IMHO, are NOT worth the price for their hype or lack of longevity. Just standard lo-maintenance batteries. (I don't consider "No Maintanence" batteries to be no maintenance. I still pull the caps and check the water levels in the cells quarterly.)

What brand are they?

I dont laugh at any battery lasting long. I have seen some serious long life batteries from time to time.

Had a friend drop out of highschool from Utah to move back down here in Vegas. Lived in his Crysler Cordoba. Then a Nova when it died, then a ford f150. Got a junkyard battery that lasted him 6-7 years threw it all. Crazy long for a $10 battery. Who knows how old it was when ot went to junkyard.

2-3 yrs is normal here.

Back