• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Batteries, batteries batteries

Acesneights1

Reaction score
Well, It's been said here before and on the old stie how important it is to have to solid matched batteries. My Tahoe came with two Interstate megatrons(Junk IMO) in it when I got it. Since day one the truck never started that great compared to my 2000(which olddly enough has cheapo walmart batteries in it.) Well we got our first shot of cold weather in CT and the Tahoe wouldn't start. Went down to Sears and got two brand new Die Easys gold series and that truck turns over like a SOB now. What a difference. I have never had any luck with Interstate batteries. Anything I have ever worked on over the years with any kind of starting / charging problems that had interstate batteries, they were the cause. They are not that old either. But let that be the lessson. Two new matched batteries are a must.

Hey Kenny, I always had good luck with megatrons....but my truck came with 2 new Napa batteries in it, and they have held up great so far.....

There are only 3 battery manufacturers now.

It can be made by the same company with different spec.

For example, Walmart and AutoZone are made by the same (Johnson Control) but their spec are different. I think Walmart's battery is the mid level of AutoZone. IIRC, DieHard are made by this same company.

Exide made Napa's.

I am not sure who made Interstate.

I personally have had better luck with AutoZone's.

Searching around reading about batts for an hour or so.

Who maeks the best, most CCA largest batt that will fit in our rigs? (easy modification is ok with me). I dont' mind Side post, as the bolt mod is better than the top post swap-over IMO.

When there is a Battery discussion on here ,I always think back to one time I was having starting problems with an old farm tractor.
I was blaming eveything but the kitchen sink for the problems . My wife who usually stays clear of such things ,finally piped up & said 'Why dont you put a new battery in it" .
I did ,it cured the problem & for ever after I made sure I,ve got good batteries .

When there is a Battery discussion on here ,I always think back to one time I was having starting problems with an old farm tractor.
I was blaming eveything but the kitchen sink for the problems . My wife who usually stays clear of such things ,finally piped up & said 'Why dont you put a new battery in it" .
I did ,it cured the problem & for ever after I made sure I,ve got good batteries .

FWIW I have 2 Interstate Megatron 850CCA 1000CA batteries that were in it since I've owned the truck. I Believe they are from 12/04 going by the sticker's. I bought the truck in 05. 5 Years is a long time even for a 7 year battery. So, I was thinking of changing them in the summer time.

I have had no crank problems ever.

I think I will buy the batt load tester at Harbor Frieght.
THey just put a retail store in my city, I love that place. Picked up a mechanic's stephescope for 1.99 the other day. They have a batt tester for 18 bux or so.

I heard that the gel-cell batteries from Optima were the best you could get... at 3x the price of a Costco (Johnson Controls) battery, I would think so...

-Rob :)

I heard that the gel-cell batteries from Optima were the best you could get... at 3x the price of a Costco (Johnson Controls) battery, I would think so...

-Rob :)

I love my yellow tops!:thumbsup: Alternator went out and the repalcment wasn't even working for a month and a half of daily driving before they wouldn't turn it over.

Nne at all, but they were only about two to three months old at the time. Now they are a few years old but still working great and no corrosion at all. Well worth the money I spent in my opinon. Advance auto alternator went out the other day at work and drove home and parked it till the weekend and still had more than enough CCA's to cycle the glow plugs and turn it over cold.

There are only 3 battery manufacturers now.

It can be made by the same company with different spec.

For example, Walmart and AutoZone are made by the same (Johnson Control) but their spec are different. I think Walmart's battery is the mid level of AutoZone. IIRC, DieHard are made by this same company.

Exide made Napa's.

I am not sure who made Interstate.

I personally have had better luck with AutoZone's.

Sorry to rain on your parade but none of this is correct. I happen to work for the largest single sight battery manufacture in the US. We private label for over 200 people and many of the brands you mentioned. Walmart for example uses several brands and we happen to service 3 states worth of walmarts but we will not take on anymore then that simply because we do not have the capacity. We do sell most all of Napa, Oreilys and a lot of brands you have heard of. The bottom line is sears is buying batteries from a couple of companies just as others do. Interstates are made by JCI for their auto line and marine are made by US Battery. We have made some Interstates before but not very often. The US battery manufactures in this country are Exide, JCI, East Penn aka Deka battery (who I work for) and some other small manufactures but these are the majors. Bottom line is very few battery manufactures do anything exclusive for any one brand.

Dave

All boils down at time of buy for said retailer, who the buyer for that retailer could get the best deal from, one interesting note as I was standing in line to have my wifes 1 yr- 2 month old Advance Auto Titanium battery tested/replaced there were 4 others in front of me getting warranty on their batteries replaced.

When warranty is no longer good only 3 yr on the Titanium; I'll be putting in Autozone Duralast Golds into the TDI like I have in my Burb & Truck that have served me well over the years.

Funny you say that. We just finished signing contracts to build Duracell Copper Top Auto batteries for them. You should start seeing them in the next few months.

Perhaps we could learn alot from you, What makes one battery better than the next, and what should we look for?

Back