• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Bad water temp sensor?

Classified

Reaction score
Well im on to the little things now.

My factory water temp gauge only shows a few ticks over 100* at normal operating temp and a tick or 2 higher when towing a 7k# trailer in the summer. I dont have A/C.

Is that normal temp? by looking at the gauge it looks like 110-130* range.

The temp sensor is on the drivers side of the block right above the manifold right? I think it was a one wire sensor, not sure.

Thoughts??

Yes that is the right sensor it is mounted in the head, be sure that the truck is cold when you replace it because you will get coolant all over your hands.

stuck open huh? It does sound like that, I agree. Is there any benifit to leaving it open? I know its easy to replace but if I dont have too, id rather not, LOL.

No benefit at all Diesels like some heat, plus I'll bet you do also, easy way to check it though for stuck, and a possiblity you don't even have a stat, from looks of rest of your probs you are going thru the P.O. possibly gutted the stat. Anyway if you have a stat, put it in pot of boiling water just before boiling 212F at sea level you should see it open, if it is not stuck closed, want to get fancy put in a cooking thermometer or other temp sensor to know zactly when stat is opening.

No stat can actually cause an overheat condition

PHP:
No stat can actually cause an overheat condition[/PHP]

How so I know in race cars they put in a restrictor instead of a stat to get more flow while maintaining some temp.

Well I bought a stat today, ill toss it in tomorrow. No point in testing since ill just throw the new one in.

And your right TD, chances are, there isnt a stat even in there. Well see! LOL

That a question AK ??? couldn't tell by way you posted

if a question the restrictor is acting like an orifice to regulate flow just like a wide opened stat, a completely removed stat isn't regulating the bypass flow past the opened portion of the stat, to maintain flow thru rad you need to orifice it down or have stat in place, youd be better off with gutted stat valve/temp bulb removed, frame only than no stat at all.

In a race car you could also set up your cooling system to flow x gpm for the given power band you plan to run at plus race car is all out one speed more or less, a truck is variable speed so it needs ability to open or close as engine temp cycles with engine loading.

Hope you bought a ac delco or robert shaw thermostat. They seem to be the only ones that work right on a 6.5. I had nothing but trouble with napa stats. They cost me 2 rad.s in my 91 6.2. Same goes for temp sender,ac delco only.

Hope you bought a ac delco or robert shaw thermostat. They seem to be the only ones that work right on a 6.5. I had nothing but trouble with napa stats. They cost me 2 rad.s in my 91 6.2. Same goes for temp sender,ac delco only.

Its the autozone brand. Should I not use it?

I had an overheating issue whe i first got my truck, i replaced the one that was in it with an Autozone one. It still overheated, i then got a robert shaw no problems since. I did clean the cr*p out of my radiator, A/C condensor and fluid coolers first.
Don

Back