• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Bad transmission problem

What is wrong with my 4l80e ? I have no 3rd or 4th gears.

• I dont know what a poll choice is

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Help

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Welcome!

There are some folks around here that really know these transmissions..... They would probably like to know what year the truck is and also if you have checked for any transmission codes.

1988 gmc 2500 vandura.
I know nothing about the codes. I am stuck in the desert in Utah. I need to go about 20 miles to the nearest shop. Can I drive there without hurting anything further ?
Van overheated after letting it cool down I tried to drive it and I have no 3rd or 4th gears.

For starters, is this the origanal trans to the van? GM didn't even build the 4l80e until 91, so a 88 shouldn't have one unless it was swapped in. If it's the factory trans, it is probably a 700r4, and you probably burned up the 3-4 clutch pack in which case drop the selector into 2nd, and go easy on it to limp it in.

For starters, is this the origanal trans to the van? GM didn't even build the 4l80e until 91, so a 88 shouldn't have one unless it was swapped in. If it's the factory trans, it is probably a 700r4, and you probably burned up the 3-4 clutch pack in which case drop the selector into 2nd, and go easy on it to limp it in.

Thank you, you are most likely right.
I tried to look up transmission and found that number. I will proceed to the shop. What top speed would you recommend for 2nd gear?

I suggest you reconsider and Be Safe!

You are better off getting it towed in by some low bidder off Craigslist rather than being a slow moving rolling road hazard asking to get rear ended by some moron who is too busy texting to drive. (Or part of a bad pass resulting in a head on.) The tow cost isn't even 10% of the cost of a trans rebuild. There is also other potential damage attempting to rev the crap out of your engine in 2nd gear with little load and running the side of the road can pickup many nails and other debris in your tires. And if it does give up you get towed anyway at the highest possible rate after sitting around for hours. This is assuming the trans isn't out of oil or getting hot enough to melt things and or catch fire. Seen lots of melted things around trans cooler lines when the trans gives it up...

I suggest you reconsider and Be Safe!

You are better off getting it towed in by some low bidder off Craigslist rather than being a slow moving rolling road hazard asking to get rear ended by some moron who is too busy texting to drive. (Or part of a bad pass resulting in a head on.) The tow cost isn't even 10% of the cost of a trans rebuild. There is also other potential damage attempting to rev the crap out of your engine in 2nd gear with little load and running the side of the road can pickup many nails and other debris in your tires. And if it does give up you get towed anyway at the highest possible rate after sitting around for hours. This is assuming the trans isn't out of oil or getting hot enough to melt things and or catch fire. Seen lots of melted things around trans cooler lines when the trans gives it up...

I had issues with mine losing gear on city streets,"3rd and 4th gear lost" (sometimes hwy) sometimes I'd have to pull over and bam, would be "normal"
It felt like neutral was able to rev "in gear" stopped,

Before the rebuild route, at a last stitch method
I got a " transmission solenoid kit" for a 4L80e
I'd bet you have a 3rd 4th shift solenoid that died,...

It's a super easy job, it's all over eBay or your local auto shops,...
I did mine like 3 years ago 65000 km ,still shifts perfect.

I've never touched a tranny and was surprised how simple it was to change the parts, just (if you do) get GOOD quality torx wrench (I forget size) as if anything strips you'd be upset fast....

I had issues with mine losing gear on city streets,"3rd and 4th gear lost" (sometimes hwy) sometimes I'd have to pull over and bam, would be "normal"
It felt like neutral was able to rev "in gear" stopped,

Before the rebuild route, at a last stitch method
I got a " transmission solenoid kit" for a 4L80e
I'd bet you have a 3rd 4th shift solenoid that died,...

It's a super easy job, it's all over eBay or your local auto shops,...
I did mine like 3 years ago 65000 km ,still shifts perfect.

I've never touched a tranny and was surprised how simple it was to change the parts, just (if you do) get GOOD quality torx wrench (I forget size) as if anything strips you'd be upset fast....
If he does in fact have a 700r4, there is no solenoids for shifting, it's all hydraulic. The only electrical in the pan is a 3rd gear switch(for some), 4th gear switch, and lockup solenoid. Theres only 3 wires going into the pan on it. If it is in fact the 3-4 clutches, you wouldn't be the 1st to limp in running 2nd. I've had guys do it for a couple of weeks while they waited to get theres into a shop.

Back