• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Bad injector?

Wayne T.

Reaction score
Hi all. New member..have a 84 m1009 6.2..,injector pump 2 years old.problem started yesterday..engine shudders on hard acceleration.feels like a gasser with a bad plug wire..seems to idle ok,starts fine hot or cold..will change fuel filter tomorrow,changed it 1 year ago.exaust on pass.side not as even as drivers side..I'm leaning towards a injector.any insight would be appreciated.

Welcome Wayne. Do you have a clear 1/4" line on the ip return to check for bubbles? I would try bleeding the injectors, even before you do the filter.

Welcome Wayne. Do you have a clear 1/4" line on the ip return to check for bubbles? I would try bleeding the injectors, even before you do the filter.
Thanks Will, no clear line on i/p ,but will try bleeding inj.'s this wk.end,thanks for quick reply..Wayne

Attachments

• images (2).jpg
    images (2).jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 7
Fuel system is a good place to start. Mechanical fuel pump - check the oil level in case it's going up from a fuel pump failure. How many miles on the injectors? Any smoke or "puffs" when it's doing this?

Don't discount the above advice on the drive line/trans.

Thanks for your input,ALL u joints replaced with in past 2 years.less than 5,000 miles,little use on 4wd. truck has just over 60,000 miles,transmission shifts crisp..snowing heavy here in mid Maine, changed fuel filter a few hours ago ,some water in it.added some fuel additive.gotta put some miles on it.

Water in fuel gets expensive quick. Miles on it with water in fuel be a bad idea!

Remove the water first!!!

Make sure the fuel additive drops the water out of the fuel! If you use Diesel 991 (etc) that "Removes water" - well the only way to get rid of water is past the filter, IP (head and rotor get scored), and injector tips (injectors get scored or tips blown clean off from water steam explosions).

You may need to drop the tank and remove the water. IMO $100-200 of wet fuel left in it is waste oil vs a new IP and injector set - esp in context of if you dropped in a "removes water" additive.

Thanks W/D,not driving anywhere today 8" of snow here more coming. Good advice though.Leaning towards a injector on passenger side,will check them this weekend.Will post results.thanks,,
Water in fuel gets expensive quick. Miles on it with water in fuel be a bad idea!

Remove the water first!!!

Make sure the fuel additive drops the water out of the fuel! If you use Diesel 991 (etc) that "Removes water" - well the only way to get rid of water is past the filter, IP (head and rotor get scored), and injector tips (injectors get scored or tips blown clean off from water steam explosions).

You may need to drop the tank and remove the water. IMO $100-200 of wet fuel left in it is waste oil vs a new IP and injector set - esp in context of if you dropped in a "removes water" additive.[/QUOT
Did use a "water remover"
wt

Fuel system is a good place to start. Mechanical fuel pump - check the oil level in case it's going up from a fuel pump failure. How many miles on the injectors? Any smoke or "puffs" when it's doing this?

Don't discount the above advice on the drive line/trans.
Oil level has not changed, hard to tell today "snowing",.no noticeable smoke.,injectors are original as far as I know.Bought truck from govt.auction in s.Az. 7 yrs.ago when working there...
lift pump replaced 2yrs ago.I/P 2 yrs.

I agree with WarWagon, I few gallons of fuel isn't worth an ip or injectors. Deal with the water first.

The reason I say bleed injectors is it will tell you if it's an air problem. Next is if you do have a bad injector it identifies which one. Most of the time when only one injector is bad it's just carbon build up and can be cleaned and continue use until your ready to get a new set.

If you can't identify 1 injector, or bleeding doesn't cure it you can move on to other diagnostic without throwing $ at it.

Hi Will
I agree with WarWagon, I few gallons of fuel isn't worth an ip or injectors. Deal with the water first.

The reason I say bleed injectors is it will tell you if it's an air problem. Next is if you do have a bad injector it identifies which one. Most of the time when only one injector is bad it's just carbon build up and can be cleaned and continue use until your ready to get a new set.

If you can't identify 1 injector, or bleeding doesn't cure it you can move on to other diagnostic without throwing $ at it.
Hi Will,make a long story short checked every possible cause.leading to believe the Harmonic balancer is the cause.a common problem with the 6.2..ordered balancer and water pump.Will post results when done. Thanks again,

Back