• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Bad injector or bad motor?

Landon730

Reaction score
My lb7 has had two injectors with high balance rates for awhile. Last night i was driving it like normal and it started ticking and missing, which is now a knock. Drive it 12 miles home like that and killed it. Went to start it this morning and it made about two revolutions then locked up. Oil pressure was fine and just changed it about 1000 miles ago. Have a video of it running. That i can email to someone if it helps. Truck idles smooth but missed with rpm. Also hazing super bad but didn’t get color as it was dark. Don’t wanna drop the money on injectors and it be something worse

The lb7 is notorious for leaking injector nozzles due to the VCO design. 99% of the time misfires, hazing, and excessive black smoke can all be traced bad to failing injectors. I've seen them stick open and hydrolock the engine a couple of times. I'd confirm good compression then order a set of injectors.

The lb7 is notorious for leaking injector nozzles due to the VCO design. 99% of the time misfires, hazing, and excessive black smoke can all be traced bad to failing injectors. I've seen them stick open and hydrolock the engine a couple of times. I'd confirm good compression then order a set of injectors.
10/4. I was gonna pull glow plugs and see if any diesel comes out of the cylinders that had high balance rates

Check the engine oil too. hydro lock with fuel tends to send some diesel down south...
UPDATE: Pulled all the glow plugs out and the back LH cylinder is spraying water out. Hot side intercooler pipe had water in it. Went to o’reilly and rented the pressure tester. Will update with info on what that says. Cracked head, blown gasket, bad injector cup?

Pressurize the cylinder through the glow plug hole with shop air. Then look for bubbles in the coolant reservoir.

You need most everything, but an lly swap is not that hard on a 03-04 lb7. You'll want to run an lb7 tcm tune as the lly has a g solenoid which your 03 does not have. You'll need the engine, ecm, harnesses, nsbu for the trans, intercooler piping, and so on.

You need most everything, but an lly swap is not that hard on a 03-04 lb7. You'll want to run an lb7 tcm tune as the lly has a g solenoid which your 03 does not have. You'll need the engine, ecm, harnesses, nsbu for the trans, intercooler piping, and so on.
Now watch it get more complicated lol, my truck is 02

Back