• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Bad dealings with Teds Trucks!

Hi btfarm,

Yeah not bad for only $2100 right?
I’m sure people will be lining up around the block for some more of these?

While I will agree you didn't get what TED's strictly advertised (IE: "excellent"), I'm going to try and point out the positve side of your "deal".

For 2100 you got two Navistar cast blocks that are capable of rebuilding.

Just finding a rebuildable 6.5 block is darn near impossible. If you can, they can go for as much as 1000-1500 a pop. And they're still the original gm design at that and subject to all the casting failures they always have been.

Now toss in with whatever else is "salvageable" from the block. Lifters, con rods, cranks etc.....

While you didn't get a "drop in and go", the parts alone justify the 2100 dollar price you paid.

I'm just trying to look on the positive side, not saying anyone is right or wrong.....

Yeah that's why I was wondering about buying one off of him. But for some reason he doesent want to sell it and rather have it sit on his garage floor taking up space and whine about it on this forum.

Hi CtChevy427,

Yes I do, although the close ups pics of the cyl-wall damage are to big to upload to this forum, had to resize 'em smaller. Unfortunately even in these pics the large patches of erosion in the cylinders were cleaned up with WD-40 & Scotchbrite. I don’t like making warranty claims unless I know there is something significantly wrong, so I had to clean these to determine the extent of the damage.

View attachment 30500View attachment 30501View attachment 30502View attachment 30503View attachment 30504View attachment 30505
By the looks of the pic's that engine has sat for quite some time with moisture in some bores.
I doubt if it was test run at all cause running it would've quikly burned the rust from the head's piston area and would've shined up the cyl walls as well.
The camshaft is history and should not be used again at all,cause of that alone i would not trust the rest of the internals either.
The cracks in the precups is normal with these engines.
Further,i don't think the military is babying any engine and takes no prisoners using them,that's why the fast turnover,use hard and replace.

Then again,...a used engine is a used engine,......you take a chance!

I have to side with 3500GMC

Hi DZZ71,

Wow, well I guess I’ll take your comments as a form of Hazing, right?:rolleyes5:

I guess you didn’t see my first response to you, about the one block (that I'm rebuilding) needing at least one cyl sleeve, and the other will need a LARGE OVERBORE!
I take it also you didn’t see were I said I don’t/wont sell damaged/bad parts to anyone, period!

I though I also gave you a complement on both your 95’s build-ups!

Now since your up in Canada, and apparently getting this +400Lbs block shipped to you would be spendy, I would imagine you wouldn’t want a dud?
When I say LARGE OVERBORE I’m talking 60-100 thousands to clean it up.

Even the Opti-6500 International Harvester casts 6.5’s are only 0.020” thicker in certain areas of the cyl-wall.
The 6.5 is one of the thinnest walled diesel iron castings in production, it was done to save weight/cost.
Now add in some typical core-shift, coupled with the required overbore, and presto paper thin cyl-walls!

Is that something your willing to pay me for?
Perhaps I confused your end use for this block; I didn’t realize your looking for a boat anchor, or perhaps a cement filler base for an outdoor light post?
Or-----maybe you’d prefer to purchase my used-up 1994 264K mile 929 block that’ll require a 40 thou deck job to clean up the damage from the blown head gasket, and it's heads with valves so recessed they’re about to suck through the seats!
As an added bonus it’s a virtual ticking time-bomb for cracked mains, but you might wanna drop some serious coin into that money pit too?

Your just pulling my chain right?
Because your coming off like a self made victim waiting to happen!

Instead of trying to razz me into selling you a known piece of scrap metal, why don’t you go to the Governmentliquidation web site, (probably were Teds gets his from) and gamble on a pulled engine for $300-900 US dollars. Many have walked away with low mile good running Opti-6500s in that price range, while other receive what I got from Teds!

Yeah I was completely aware what I was getting into. It's not like I could come back and say you sold
Me a junk block. It's odvious I was well
Educated on the condition of it. I have put worse blocks then yours back into service. I wasent planning on building a
Monster it's just for a farm truck. But what ever go haul it to the scrap yard. And yes thank you for the compliments.

Hi CtChevy427,

Yes they do, but I purchased mine via the phone.
-------------------

Hi DZZ71,

I'm sorry, didn't mean to chew you a new one!
It's just for me this whole thing has gone to Sh!t, mainly over well advertised (as good running) core parts for premium pricing.

I do plan on trying to machine the really bad block back to spec some day, I might have to sleeve 4-5 cylinders at $190 a pop plus parts. I think such a massive overbore is going backwards really.
So there’s $840 + tax to fix the block.
The heads need servicing too. The better of the two pairs I had pressure/vacuum tested, ground 16 valves and seats, purchased 8 new diamond pre-cup for the tune of $766. The pair I have left has a cyl that looks like it fragmented for severe hydro compression damage.

So I’d have to sell these parts at my repair costs (and that would still be expensive), and quite frankly I’m just not that charitable to strangers, no offence!

Hi CtChevy427,

Yes they do, but I purchased mine via the phone.

OK, did you try to get any help from your CC company?

If he is selling these on eBay I can't believe his feed back does not show any bad transactions. I know he has "no returns" on his auctions but if one pays through PP they sure would lean on him.

Hi CtChevy427,

Trust me the day they told me Tuff Luck, I called my CC via my bank.

Lucky for me, bacause I was being the understanding customer, trying to let this "Christian" vendor do the right thing, the time period for "disputing payment" had sailed away.
Now one to blame for that but me, hard lessen learned I guess!

Next time a have an issue with a vendor, I'm going to stick it to 'em right off the bat!:rocketwhore:
It really just doesn't pay trying to be the nice guy anymore.

Gentlemen, let me try to be clear on this - because this medium isn't the best for clarity.

1] I hope you get things settled with Ted's, and settled to a degree where everybpody can walk away happy.

2] I don't feel that you whined, or mis-represented anything. I do feel that once the horse is dead, one should dismount. You made a very clear statement about the quality of your Ted's engine; at this point, I would like to hear from Margaret or Rickey at Ted's.

Why? The last time something like this happened, once we got everybody to the table, the problem got solved. THAT is the best outcome here, and I don't apologize for hoping that will come out.

If the purpose here is to scare people away from a vendor, then you have achieved it. Pics, informed opinion, and clear descriptions are not something to be ignored, and nobody is calling you out on any of that. However, once the point is made, belaboring it is counter-productive, no?

As I initially said, thanks for sharing. Ted's is not a vendor here, and there is no way I can put any heat on them to help you out. I think everybody wold be much better off with a clear, non-antagonistic thread. Maybe they will come to the table... it's happened before.

Jim

Close the thread then.

I'm absolutely sure a new member (or old, we don't know) will start a thread Just Like This. Déjà Vu all over again...

What voice (medium) do we have then, if matters cannot be solved between the original two parties? BBB? Not. Supreme court? Not. Phone Call? Not. Email? Not. Smoke signal? Not.

I hate crooks.

How many more folks will have to get burned?

We understand your frustration 3500, the thread isn't going to be closed, consider the position the site is in, a relatively new face to the site shows up having problems with a vendor, OP may be 100% the real deal having issues, or they may not.

Remember the guy last year that showed up at all the 6.5 sites supposedly running a Rescue Service griping about bad PMDs then went anal about the whole thing when he was given all info he needed. Then we did a little digging and found out the OP in that post was not what he was representing himself to be.

In Jifaire's last post about to temper the discussion I think all he was saying was give it a break to see what vendor is willing to do now that that the issue is out there.

Remember last time the Ted's issue came up here, the post just about went viral with negativity, but eventually it was made right, and.....there have been a number of 6.5 guys that have had good luck with them, so I think what Jim & I'll agree based on that/making it right last time a small benefit of doubt is owed to them.

All that said; if Ted's Trucks is truly a company to steer clear of then the truth will come out, ask ole Steak Boy, who just about can't give away his products, the 6.5 community is pretty close knit, and if a vendor really is bad they won't last long.

The OP reported a issue, let the thread stand on its merit once all information comes out, if Ted's won't make right or takes forever to make right/or is difficult in the process, then OP needs to/should report that experience as the situation changes for good of the community.

Nobody dislikes a crook or shady vendor as much as the 6.5 community does, let's take a breather and see where it goes from here, I think is what Jim is saying.

Tim is right; we aren't going to close the thread or edit out any of 94dieselsub's remarks. He has been very clear and factual about all of the issues with his engine(s), and we appreciate that he has kept this civil. My comments were to everybody in general - I don't want this thread to turn into a he-said-she-said catfight.

If a thread like this leads to a good resolution, then it has done its job, and will end with a positive statement about how the vendor came through for the member - like the LAST Ted-bashing thread did.

Unfortunately, sometimes what should go back and forth between the affected member and the vendor ends up being diluted by everybody else bringing their own dog to the fight.

I want to keep this thread clean and on-subject so everybody knows there is an outstanding issue that needs resolution, and who that issue is between. I appreciate that the OP realizes this and has kept his comments on-task.

Good deal. I do really hope the OP can get some sort of justice...

I'd feel strongly enough, (no kidding right? :D) if it were me, I'd load my pick'm up (or borrow one) with the *junk* and take a drive on down to AlaBAM...

Being a completely satisfied Ted's customer, I'm rather surprised to hear this.

I do wonder if what you have is, in fact, a Navistar. You haven't posted pics of the the block casting or posted the casting date. I know that they were running out of the Navistar blocks. Sucks you've had a bad experience with both engines.

For mine, I've got 4K miles on my block, just drive 600 miles from Salt Lake to Lake Tahoe and got 20 MPG on the drive (though I think I was getting better before coming up the hill from Carson City. That's a killer grade.)

For the record, and in case anyone wondered, I e-mailed Ted's and PMed their representative that had been here before with a link to this thread so they would be aware of it. That was right at the beginning of the thread. I never heard from them in either of those heads up methods. I can only suppose that they didn't want to air out any of their dealings on this particular transaction in public or with a staff member of The Truck Stop.

What was you solution for a 'burb engine? I'd like to see you get back on the road some way, with 'teds' help or not...

Back