• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Back in a 93

plumbtuf

Reaction score
Hello,
So after awhile throwing money at an 04 PSD, I finally picked up another 93 to replace one I had years ago. This truck is a k3500 drw with an auto , my old one was a k3500 srw 5spd. Picked up the truck for a decent price knowing it needed some work, So far ive done the injectors,glow plugs , oil cooler lines and glow plug harness. I pulled the motor out and replaced all the gaskets and timing chain /gears.I should say that before pulling motor I replaced the turbo (gm3) with an ATT . After reading about injection pumps, decided to go with a moose jr. overall I'm kinda disappointed with the way it runs right now. I think I may need to put the puff eliminator kit on it. right now the egts rise to high to take full advantage of the turbo. I have ordered a intercooler and tubes and they should be here early next week. At 60mph on highway egts are 5-600 , but as soon as you hit gas they rise quickly. it gets tires tomorrow and will post pictures and start a build thread. Love the site and thanks for all the info ive stolen to this oint and all that I will steal in the future.

Unless your trying to tow you might be disappointed in the ATT especially if your at any altitude. ATT shines at high rpm and heavy load.

Yeah, funny thing- some years back Inhad a friend with a 92 that he put an ATT on, and came to my place to show him how to crank the fuel screw and man what a difference from his gm4 iirc. He moved to NorCal and I hadn’t seen im in years. Later i delt with other ATTs on ds4 rigs that had tunes to help them out. Anyways he swung by my place with the gmc and it was running good. But the difference of not having a tune to help, it was slower off the line than I remembered. Still better than the stock turbo was, but the very low end wasn’t to nifty.
Adding a ton of fuel should help, but won’t fix it all. Gearing or load to work that bottom end and spool it up.

@WarWagon he did both a qsv and a high rpm tc to spool them up in different rigs.

I have been wanting an ATT as a possible turbo for the hummer to help on the freeway, a brick wall going down the road with no aerodynamics is like towing a descent load and the lower gearing should help spool it. But it would give up some low end to do so over a couple other turbos.

Watching EGT will just give you heartburn. Watch the ECT because over 210 bad things happen. I have sustained 1550 EGT and the 6.2 bottom end survived.

So cover up the EGT gauge and how does it run? Seriously I IGNORE mine. Now on the Cumapart I do watch it...

Forget about anything but cruise with the engine under 2000 RPM on the ATT. The trans literally needs a tune chip to shift sooner with load. It didn't lug the Asthma Attack GM3 enough anyway. The ATT simply doesn't light off below 2000 RPM, but, then it will pull hard past 4000 RPM. It will smoke more at altitude. I live in a hilly place with lots of grades so the load changes enough to make the trans tune worth it.

If you have snap test emissions to pass the 4000 RPM governor setting may bite you in the ass. I had a pump that went over 4000 RPM and bent most of the valves in my engine. Just saying red line is 3600 on 25 year old valve springs, with how many miles again?

After using both a spool valve and a Yank converter I recommend the stall converter. Floor it --> engine snaps past 2000 RPM --> ATT lights off after a moment --> Rear wheels light up. Esp. if doing a brake stand on DRY pavement. Reverse with a trailer and the front wheels hung on a curb... I got to be careful punching it through the rear tire traction sometimes.

the truck really runs good. I just freak out when the egt gets high. The turbo really seems to take off around 2400 rpm . its shifted a couple of times at 4k , just to see whats up . got about 17-18 psi of boost there . intercooler and tubes showed up today. Now I have something to kill time on this week end.

Everyone I heard off got worse results with innercooler on ATT because it is so large and no wastgate it doesn’t have the heat cycle problem of most turbos. Since you have the parts, maybe try it, but thought you should know...

And wow, 2400 rpms... What gearing?
You mentioned the puff limiter, you leaving a cloud?
Any chanc for a youtube video tosee what you are getting?

The truck has 4.10s . I don't have the puff eliminator, not yet, the thought is that the moose jr dumps a lot of fuel before the turbo spools up, but with the puff eliminator installed I may be able to enjoy the boost for a little longer. but its next on the list..

the truck really runs good. I just freak out when the egt gets high. The turbo really seems to take off around 2400 rpm . its shifted a couple of times at 4k , just to see whats up . got about 17-18 psi of boost there . intercooler and tubes showed up today. Now I have something to kill time on this week end.

Why? EGT doesn't matter to this engine. If you need to freak: do so over ECT near or over 210 as that's justified. EGT on this engine is not. I have had high/extreme EGT 1550 sustained pulling a 7% grade for miles with the GM3, HX40II, and the ATT. Frankly I need to get up the grade and BS EGT myths the ignorant spew just gave me heartburn - Dad ignored it and no damage and eventually so did I. Other engines are different in regards to EGT and this is just rubbing off on this engine. Now if your ECT is going sky high with high EGT you have too much timing. My EGT episodes did not go over 210 ECT. Going over 210 ECT I scuffed and cracked a piston.

Don't run the intercooler with the ATT as it lags it even more. This is from the original "A Team" testers. Your boost numbers are good. It's low pressure and low back pressure so the intercooler really doesn't do much but add a restriction and more volume to have to 'pump up'.

Again if you want to mod it more a stall converter and trans tune should be next. The spool valve helps, but, not as much as just winding it into boost RPM. See my sig link for what I am talking about with the stall.

The Puff limiter is for emissions snap testing. If you stall the engine up to 2000 RPM you won't need it. You give up the cold advance for the puff limiter.

So haven't really made to much progress on the whole fuel , boost , egt thing. Last week the flexplate center broke out. Because I'm an idiot I got to do it twice. Yes , I put it in backwards. A couple hours today to fix and it is back going again. I have installed the tape on the egt guage. Still laggy down low but once it spools up it runs pretty good. Anybody have ant experience with accurate diesel injectors? Its real smoky at start and sounds like a injector may be sticking.
Thanks

Bosch has had my long standing recommendation. Any brand always should be balanced to within 25 psi of each other. A few of the guys here had the new sets from Leroy tested and they were all within that range. So it seems the India made bosch are shedding their out of balance reputation.

Afaik the delphi still are out as much as 100 psi within a set.

I do not know if other vendors here have same or different options.

DO NOT buy some at a slight better price from unknown suppliers or worse from some known rip off suppliers- especially fleabay.

If you find a “deal” mention it before you buy so if it is one of the many known rip offs, we can speak up and save you $ and time.

Smoky start: Check the cold advance is working: oh wait a Moose with a puff limiter doesn't have one. :p Drop it in gear and brake stall it some (not WOT) 5 seconds to heat the precups up. You may try a touch more advance unless you timed it to a spec.

So I have advanced the timing a little, Maybe a 1/16 towards the drivers side. Between this and heating the pre cups per WW suggestion there is a lot less smoke at start up. Seems to run a little better too. It snowed in Denver yesterday so the drive to the job site was interesting with all of the people afraid of snow, but on the way home when roads where clear is when an ass clown smacks the drivers side rear fender and blows a tire and drives off. The tire is ok, rim is toast and now I have source a fender. Shipping is a killer. As they say 2 steps forward. I did order an old mt 480 and will try that for the timing once it shows up.
Thanks

Back