• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Axle width and truck weight?

Will L.

Reaction score
89 k2500 gmc standard cab & bed length 6.2 manual trans.

I might have to rent a tow dolly or car trailer to haul one, but need front axle width and ball park weight.

Thanks

Ball park 5500 LBS. 75" outside edges of front tires on my 93.

Nix the Fing useless dead weight tow dolly idea
from the "evict the person sleeping in the K Car Dodge Charger" adventure. Aka get all 4 unknown rotten tires off the ground for 4 ST trailer tires that may or may not last longer. Hopefully the trailer will have working brakes as you will be at ~10K LBS for the total of trailer loaded with cargo of the 89 truck.

Ball park 5500 LBS. 75" outside edges of front tires on my 93.

Nix the Fing useless dead weight tow dolly idea
from the "evict the person sleeping in the K Car Dodge Charger" adventure. Aka get all 4 unknown rotten tires off the ground for 4 ST trailer tires that may or may not last longer. Hopefully the trailer will have working brakes as you will be at ~10K LBS for the total of trailer loaded with cargo of the 89 truck.
Read through that story, been on a couple of them retrievals Myself. LOL
One reason I bought My own 7500 pound utility trailer. LOL

Ok thanks. He is going to see if AAA will tow it from his house to mine, or if not from his house to a mechanic shop close to mine, then tow strap it home.
Otherwise it’s make it happen somehow mode with a small window to get it out if there.

Tires are still good on it, only 2-3 years old.

This guy is a 6.2 lover, he owns 2 but wifey took him new truck shopping and now needs it gone for the parking space. Says he wishes he could just get it back to family property in Cali, but happy just to know it isn’t going for scrap or junkyard.

It is supposed to need new batteries and have bad fuel in it. He said after a fill up taking fuel out of the other truck (dead with over 400k on it compression so low it just wont fire anymore) truck that had been sitting a while, this one started running rough, so he parked it and just never got back to it as it was an extra rig. Iirc he said that was 1.5 years ago. A bit afraid of that old fuel, water & bugs are a serious possibility. Just hope that ip survived.

I’ll post pics and stuff when it gets here. Yeah, here as in same place the RV was, blocking my shop- haha, sigh. My sister and her 2 kids live in a trailerpark that unregistered vehicles get towed right away, hopefully this weekend gets it running and ready for dmv come Monday. Then in a couple weeks he can test it out with a 100 mile tow getting his 74 Jeep pickup out of my front yard to his friends property.
That’s my hope, but if this one ends up dead here too, my wife might add me to the dead list and bury me in the backyard...

Get the wife flowers, NOW! Soften her up a little first before it arrives. :D

Pop the fuel filter and it will give you an idea of what's up. You are the expert on if the old fuel is any good. It's age may be way older from sitting in the other dead truck before being put in this one.

Tires that have sat years without moving may be separated, cracked, or have really short life left before they fail. Look into warranty if they have visible cracks. IMO iffy tires aren't worth the damage they cause in our hot 'fast tire ageing' weather. 5 years from purchase is a safe age to replace them. Much as I complain about low miles out of the tread it's actually good that I can use em up before they age out.

Back