• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Aux Tranny Cooler

North Maine

Merchant Mariner
Reaction score
When I installed my new radiator it came out of a 1995 and had a different thread size for the tranny cooler lines than came with my 98, thus I had to bypass the stock radiator tranny cooler and I'm running on just the aux cooler, and since I dont see myself using the rad. cooler again I want to install a second cooler in place of it, but I'm wonder what size is necessary? What do I look for with an aux cooler? thanks in advance for any help.

Derale makes one that is designed to be remote mounted, and has a thermostaticly controlled fan mounted on it...

I went big on mine I have the Deraile rated for 25K#, you won't tow that much, but since you have reduced cooling with no rad cooling, I'd size it for bigger than you'll ever tow myself, consider stop & go traffic, or slow off road driving where you won't have much air flow across the aux cooler, and rad/rad fan won't help since main rad cooler isn't plumbed in

What are thoughts on having both the trans cooler and egine oil cooler mounted under the bed with an electric fan and thermostat? will it work. My thought is if I can get them out from in front, maybe I can shoe horn an ata up front. Just a thought. Right now I have a summit engine oil cooler kit with braided lines that needs to go in and it would be easy to do now.

That will work, and, as stated earlier, Derale makes a unit for that. They even make a combined unit for engine oil/ tranny oil....

Back