• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Aux Filter Setup for my TDI

saratoga

Unpaid Help
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a smaller filter head or a filter combo that I can use to fab a pre-OEM fuel filter like the ones some of us made for our Dmaxes? The stock filter housing doesn't have a drain on it, and I'd maybe like to install two filters if possible. One on the inlet to the pump and one on the retrun to the tank. Reason being, some people have grenaded the Bosch CR pump by putting in gas and it then sends metal shavings back to the tank which get recirculated and kill everything.

There are two electric lift pumps so getting fuel through them won't be a problem.

I may be able to use the same head and just a shorter spin-on filter... will have to look around under the jam-packed hood again.

Nothing over at TDI? I thought all those guys were gearheads there...:hihi:
Well at least the banned the sack.
Gotta think one of our vendors would have an idea.

Thanks! I hadn't thought to look through those sites.

The filter on my car has about 6 lines attached to it, but it's in the same place a the ones in the nicktane pics. I don't want to eliminate the OEM filter and will have to check to see if there is room to fit one of those.

Thanks! I hadn't thought to look through those sites.

The filter on my car has about 6 lines attached to it, but it's in the same place a the ones in the nicktane pics. I don't want to eliminate the OEM filter and will have to check to see if there is room to fit one of those.
Of course we would all encourage you to favor a supporting vendor first ;)

I changed the oil at 5k, but other than that... nothing yet. There is honestly no room under the hood or anywhere else for that matter to install any type of aux filter.

VW schedules maintenance in 10k increments. Oil every 10k, fuel filter every 20k, DSG (trans fluid and filter) every 40k. Timing belt and water pump at 120k.

The oil/filter change is simple. Drop the plastic pan and pull the plug; oil filter is one of those canister setups under the hood that you take the top off of with a big (36 mm?) socket and change the pleated element. 5 L of Mobil-1 ESP 5W30... Pep Boys actually carries this stuff whcih meets VW's proprietary oil spec for the new common rail engines. The M-1 ESP is one of maybe two or three oils available in the US that meet the VW spec.

The fuel filter is also in a big canister under the hood held together with about 6 torx screws. It says MAN Diesel on it and strangely enough the element looks larger than the OEM Dmax filters.

From what I have read I would also run something for lubrication. them hpfp's seem to be failing.....

Back