• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Auto-steer

WeedNemesis

A Weed's Worst Nightmare
Reaction score
Who's got 'em, who want's 'em. Who doesn't care?
Personally we have two units that we move around and I wonder how we got anything done before we had 'em.

I guess Im behind the times, like on most things :eek: What is it?

I guess Im behind the times, like on most things :eek: What is it?
Hands free driving of your tractor or whatever across a field guide by GPS.

I purchased a Trimble EZ Guide 500 light bar a EZ Steer to my 4 wheel drive for field cultivating before planting. Once I got all the settings fine tuned it worked great. I put a guy in the tractor with zero experience and had him working ground in a half hour. Settings could be a little more user friendly, but all in all a good system. It is upgradeable if I wanted to use it for planting.

I moved just the light bar part to my sprayer for application of pre- emergance herbicide. Took some getting use to. It was more like driving some video game then spraying but it worked great when there are no rows to follow.

I've never used it but I've seen a couple different systems in action. The latest JD one and one on a Challenger. I can't remember the implement behind the challenger but the operator left the challenger cab, got on a cat walk to the implement, fiddled with it for a bit and in the meantime the challenger reached the end of the field and turned around by itself.

I'm afraid the first person to fall and get run over is going to ruin this technology. You just know it will happen and the family will sue. The safe guards that follow will be a royal pain in the ass.

People have been getting out of combines and tractors and fiddling around with different things long before auto steer came along. I guarantee that everyone that has operated a combine has opened the door and stepped out on the platform at some point while cutting.

I'm afraid the first person to fall and get run over is going to ruin this technology. You just know it will happen and the family will sue. The safe guards that follow will be a royal pain in the ass.
Most of the built in systems have a seat switch that deactivates it when you get out. Though ours are supposed to be setup that way I didn't feel like hooking it up. Though they still kick out if you don't hit a button or something after 5 min or so.

We want to get it but haven't yet this year due to cost. We had a few fields mapped and variable rate fertilized by simplot. Hoping to get the entire trimble/ag leader setup next year so we can do it ourselves. We have a valmar 40 foot air spreader that runs the rate like all spreaders off the tire. Looks like all I need to do is remove the transmission and drive tire and put a hydraulic motor there. Get a shaft speed sensor, a oil flow rate control, and calibrate it, should work good. The hard part will be calibrating it to get the oil flow rates right, but I think the regional GPS guys would come help us with that. They sounded interested anyway. This is only the second year that an RTK tower has been available from the dealer here, so GPS is just getting adopted by the row crop guys. Some experimenting with strip till and stuff like that too. That works less here than other places though because you still have to work some of the ground first, since we rip in the fall to prevent wind erosion.

We're running the new Deere GS2 systems with SF2 subscription on Deere 8520 w/ Deere 1770NT 16row plater. It works great! If you're running a Deere tractor, the Deere autosteer is a no-brainer!

We want to get it but haven't yet this year due to cost. We had a few fields mapped and variable rate fertilized by simplot. Hoping to get the entire trimble/ag leader setup next year so we can do it ourselves. We have a valmar 40 foot air spreader that runs the rate like all spreaders off the tire. Looks like all I need to do is remove the transmission and drive tire and put a hydraulic motor there. Get a shaft speed sensor, a oil flow rate control, and calibrate it, should work good. The hard part will be calibrating it to get the oil flow rates right, but I think the regional GPS guys would come help us with that. They sounded interested anyway. This is only the second year that an RTK tower has been available from the dealer here, so GPS is just getting adopted by the row crop guys. Some experimenting with strip till and stuff like that too. That works less here than other places though because you still have to work some of the ground first, since we rip in the fall to prevent wind erosion.
Save yourself some trouble and talk to Rawson or Raven. I setup a pull-behind buggy with a Rawson drive motor with their Accu-rate controller hooked to the JD GS2 to do variable rate fertilizer. Now we just need to split the buggy and put a second chain & motor in so we can do a dual product application.

Dad's Gearhead buddy, the one i help during the summer, has it in his 8320, i really like it. this guy has actually gotten components from JD sales and e-bay and hooked up Auto steer pretty easily on an Oliver 2255. He says it's easier than one would think.

picture.php

All these tractors are JD autosteer, even the Cat. The autosteer is worth every penny. The fuel you save by not overlapping and also seed and fertilzer. Since all these are outrageous prices you gotta save where you can. The Cat and 2 deeres have Gs2 displays that are the berries.

picture.php

All these tractors are JD autosteer, even the Cat. The autosteer is worth every penny. The fuel you save by not overlapping and also seed and fertilzer. Since all these are outrageous prices you gotta save where you can. The Cat and 2 deeres have Gs2 displays that are the berries.

x2 on fuel savings, the overlap on the flex king sweeps are less than 1 foot, it really saves time and fuel. new technology is quickly becoming a necessity.

Our sharecropper needs it, his corn rows aren't as straight as they used to be!:sifone: (kinda sux when you try to follow that stuff with the combine, especially a six row head behind an 8 row planter!)

Bingo Ryan, you nailed it on the head.

Auto steer is not so much for ease as it is for money savings on our end.

we are small guys in the grand view of things running only one Raven GPS unit with the EZ-Steer system and moving it from machine to machine as needed.

I have made mounts for our JD 4240, 4020, 8100, also for the White 4-210 and even for our 69 Chevy K-30 Sparyer truck. Basicly this system uses the GPS to move a motor that to place agains the steering wheel.

I have run the JD Autosteer system on a 9520 and it is far better than the system that we have, it directs the tractor by way of correcting the direction at the hydrolic system for steering, not al the way at the steering wheel.

We use the system for everything from shooting anhydrous, running the cultivator, planting corn, drilling beans, and spraying.

Between the cost of fuel, price of fertlizers and chemicals down to the cost of a bag of seed corn rising daily, you have to be as efficent as you can be to stay afloat anymore.

The system pays for its self in a short period of time.

we are probably going to upgrade combines after wheat harvest this year and will most likely have a yield monitor on the next one. we will probably add this display unit and system to it.

http://www.trimble.com/flash/ag_fieldmanagerDemo/aggps_fieldmanager_demo.shtml

its a pretty sweet system. it will run autosteer, be your yield monitor, adjust your variable seeding and nitrogen rates when used in conjuction with your planting tractor.

Back