• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

ATT & FRC-10 Install

bigdaddyinacaddy

Obsessed
Reaction score
Hey TTS peeps. I just got my frc-10 and ATT in the mail (thanks Burning Oil). Gonna start this evenin when it starts cooling off, heat index has been about 105 with 80-90% humidity for the past 3-4 days (welcome to Louisiana) and my shop doesnt have A/C! This will be the thread I upload pics, before/after vids, etc. I've heard the walbro makes your truck sound different. I've also heard that the ATT makes your truck act different.... :hihi:

I will be uploading plenty of pics and vids in the next 3-5 days. No rush. Gonna take this as leisurely as possible. Wish me luck!!

Good luck, The ATT was a fun install. I did mine out in the the driveway below freezing. I've had to go back and retorque everything cause of that.

The hardest part will be getting the old turbo off, at least it was for my install.
:)

I liked Raceday's set up but I'd need a lot more time than he did to do fab it up.
Orionthade did a good job too. Both used prefilters as did I with the FRB-5 you sold me.
Unfortunately, I'm not getting search hits for the job Orion did. Sorry, tried to find links.

Orion used square 'tubing' from Lowes or Home Depot in using lengths sufficient to create a system that could be adjusted / adapted later. Same type material one sees in heavy duty shelving and I used on my Air Dog set up.
I'm more than positive you are going to enjoy the results.
Your next upgrade will problably be the "Feed the Beast" mod.

Ok guys i've just about got the att on. Been bustin my ass all day lol. One problem. How am i supposed to modify the oil return? I need help ASAP im right in the middle of it. when i get done i will upload all the pictures.

nevermind i found the instructions in another thread. Slim, gettin the turbo off is easy with redneck superpowers :hihi: i just cut the nuts off with a cutting wheel and had to beat two of them off with a chisel lol. i plan on mounting the frc-10 using studs and double nuts. prolly not the best way, but it'll work

Alright, it's 12:19 here and she is on! No exhaust leaks, no oil leaks, 10psi not even trying. I think i did a good job, and it only took me 15hr total. Coulda did it way faster looking back, but that included 3 trips to napa for stupid little things and im not the best mechanic in the world....

I've only driven it once, per instructions. When i got back i thought for sure that i had oil leaking because of all the smoke from under the hood, i found upon opening the hood that it was just the residual oil from the bag it was in. WHEW

First impressions are: ALOT more low end torque (my driveway is gravel, and my wife is gonna kick my ass tomorrow, but it was an accident i swear :frown2:), alot less of the loud screaming whistle, but the whistle is still there for sure just not as pronounced. My exhaust sounds alot more beefy. Cant wait to hear it at WOT. So far so good.

Keep in mind that i have only driven it one time. I will fill in the rest as i get more used to it.

The really loud noise i heard when i let off the throttle... was that a bark? sorry im not used to these turbo things... been driving gas burners my whole life.

Thanks dudes, Pics tomorrow promise. For now :partay:

Congratulations

Thanks man.

But where there's good there's bad... I think (hope) it's my gl4 but my egt's are through the ROOF! I looked down at my gauge and they were pushing 1250-1300 :wtf: I think I'm gonna put my stock chip back in just to be safe and call joe tomorrow for a retune. My coolant temp isn't going up along with the EGT's like it did with the gm-4 so that's good I guess.

Congrats,I have a similar setup and the EGT's get to about 950 tops. My GF is still PO'd about the burnout in the driveway after the install.

The ATT is best matched with a tune for it. It will work 10x better then. And around 20psi she whistles pretty darn nice I think. Just got to get her really going

I'm hoping it's the tune. If I blew a boot off and that's the noise I heard last night, would I still measure boost? Getting over 10 wot. But man it just feels kinda sluggish. Instead of downshifting when I floor it, it just kinds lugs through the gear. I'm used to fast revving v8 power and now it feels like I have a cummins... Somebody point me in the right direction?

First off don't worry about EGT's. The ATT can take at least 1550 EGT for an extended period of time. Buddy and I took mine up there pulling a mountain grade towing.

Next ask for lower shift points in your tune. You have shifted the powerband up in RPM by getting the larger turbo, but, lost the grunt at lower RPM. Maybe it is midrange RPM around 2K where the GMx is at full boost. I had the same problem at mid throttle rolling on 10% grades - it would lug out instead of downshifting. Lower shift points helped a lot.

I'm hoping it's the tune. If I blew a boot off and that's the noise I heard last night, would I still measure boost? Getting over 10 wot. But man it just feels kinda sluggish. Instead of downshifting when I floor it, it just kinds lugs through the gear. I'm used to fast revving v8 power and now it feels like I have a cummins... Somebody point me in the right direction?
'
Pm sent.

Back