• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

ATT for christmas

Looking at propane just for fuel economy is ridiculous.

For someone not hauling heavy trailers 4 days a week Propane may not be an economical mod if youre just looking to save money. People buy bigger turbos, larger exhaust, Flashed PCMs etc. etc., its not just for better efficiency. Do you ask how long it takes to recoup your costs on those, or do you enjoy the better throttle response and happy you have better fuel economy. If you can now tow your boat, but would have had to buy a Dmax then yeah, that save $25000, so nice money saving mod.

Do you ask how long it takes to recoup your costs on those, or do you enjoy the better throttle response and happy you have better fuel economy. QUOTE]

I tend to want to understand all 3. :D I wasn't trying to make a case for/against propane. Just trying to better understand how to weigh possible economy benefits, when considering a propane system.

I think what we try to do is put a value on satisfaction, that sometimes can be worth more than the economics of a situation.

Kind of like buying a Gear vendors unit, pay back in fuel mileage = long time depending on mileage driven. If you tow a lot the satisfaction from owning it can be (is) worth every penny. Kind of like the A Team Turbo, (you knew I had to throw that in there, unabashedly I might add ):h). Can't price satisfaction.

I'm just trying to see what all I can get out of this engine. I'm so buried into this there is no reason to quit now!!

I'm right there w/ you guys. No way I could make a logical cost justification for all the work I've done. The enjoyment of doing the work & the results (when they're good) is what keeps me spending on mechanical hobby pursuits.

After wrenching on performance cars so many years, I gotta say, I really appreciate these truck's simplicity & basic physical size. I'm 6'5"/275, so it's a nice change to work on this stuff that's so easy to get to, work under, etc.

I'm just trying to see what all I can get out of this engine. I'm so buried into this there is no reason to quit now!!

We have all been there at some point in our life, at least if you have lived a little. Kind of like spending money for a date when you were single, never knew if the price was worth it until after the fact. But would have never known if you didn't at least try.

I'm right there w/ you guys. No way I could make a logical cost justification for all the work I've done. The enjoyment of doing the work & the results (when they're good) is what keeps me spending on mechanical hobby pursuits.

After wrenching on performance cars so many years, I gotta say, I really appreciate these truck's simplicity & basic physical size. I'm 6'5"/275, so it's a nice change to work on this stuff that's so easy to get to, work under, etc.

Yeah my wife just rolls her eyes when parts come in the mail or ups. Doesn't even ask what I am doing anymore, just as long as I don;t do another turbo start up. She cringed at the cost of that project, I was in the dog house for quite some time over that.

Got the truck running again tonight!!!

So far so good i've only drove it bout five miles my drain tube is leaking really bad so i'm gonna work on that tommorrow. I didnt go real hard on it I think the most boost I saw was 5 pounds. REALLY loud lol rite now I jus have a 4 inch straight pipe that ends at the back of the cab I gotta get a piece of flex and some clamps to hook it up to the stacks. You can hear the whistle really good through the exhaust even in the cab. I will have to try and get a video sometime. I couldnt really tell much of a difference it's been so long since i've drove the truck it was a huge change from my dads s10. May seem lyk it lags a lil on take off but once it builds a lil boost it's fine.

Ya I may need some help gettin it uploaded on youtube. I tried once before and couldnt get it to work. My friend said it sounded pretty good when I was drivin around the barn lot.

I think that power adders with out extra unburnt fuel wont make a huge difference,I tried a home made propane system ,didnt like the extra timing it gave,though it did help turbo spool up,I was hoping to replace diesel with propane at higher rpms,never tried nos,dont think I will either.Now if you had lots of fuel and added nos I would think there would be some serious hp.Maybe I should try propane again

Got my stacks hooked back up today sounds pretty good:smile5::smile5::smile5:. A whole lot deeper sound than before. Truck seems like its got more giddy up now. Couldn't be happier wit the A team turbo!!!

Yep i'm a broke high school student now lol. I don't really have a job til we start planting in the spring only thing I get to do now is help deliver hay every now and then. So now I jus gotta scrounge up money for truck payments and fuel for a couple months.

Got my stacks hooked back up today sounds pretty good:smile5::smile5::smile5:. A whole lot deeper sound than before. Truck seems like its got more giddy up now. Couldn't be happier wit the A team turbo!!!

Come on, you can install a new turbo, you can upload a video to youtube!

more like install an engine lol. I will try and get one uploaded this week sometime today the wind is gusting about thirty mph so maybe tomorrow lol

Back