• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

ATS or PPE trans pan???

SS HDMAX

Reaction score
Hey Guys! Its good to be a member. I'm new here and have a question already. I've been researching trans pans for my Allison tranny and I'm not sure which route to go. ATS offers a deep pan that claims to hold 5 additional qts of fluid for proclaimed cooling and longevity of fluid between services, but I don't think it was manufactured with the internal fluid channels like the PPE. Now, that being said, I found the PPE design, construction, and price to be substantially better than the ATS pan, yet the PPE pan only holds a proclaimed 4 additional qts of fluid as opposed to the ATS's 5 qts. So, my question is, which pan is more efficient at cooling? Do the internal fluid channels of the PPE out weigh the benefits of ATS's additional 1 qt capacity? Interested in facts from engineers/technicians and opinions from the experinced... Tx!

SS HDMAX, welcome to The Truck stop...

The difference in capacity should not be a factor. I have yet to see anyone say they experienced any change in fluid temperature due to the design or capacity of the pan. Although I have read many times to save your money and buy a deep Allison pan.
Which is the route I took over 60K ago.

Take a minute and fill in your signature so we know what your wrenching.....

I have the Mag-Hytec and am Happy with it.

As far as I know, the Mag-Hytec is the only one that has a Built-In O-Ring Gasket, so there is no need to Buy a New Gasket every time you Drop the Pan.

...and as far as Temp Drops go, it takes the Fluid Longer to Heat Up because you have more in the System, so that is where the Part about Fluid Temps Dropping comes from. But even so, I have not seen Overall Temps as High as I Saw with the OE Pan than I do with the Mag-Hytec.

I have the PPE deep pan. The pan does hang down a little low. I have another thread in this same section with a few photos. Take a look see. The OEM gasket is pretty stout, and gets used with the PPE pan. No need for any other gasket. The way the PPE pan is cast, looks as if it dissipates heat very well. It has finned aluminum both inside and out. The inside fins also hold the deep filter in place, and has a nice magnetic drain plug. I am not sure if you need more than 4 extra quarts of fluid for a stock Allison.

Welcome to the forum! :welcome2:

check out www. yourcovers.com PML is the name of the company I've had on for 7 years now and am quite pleased with it, looks like a Mag-Hytech but not as much $$$; I'm not sure if they have one for DMax, as for cooler trans temp additional capacity doe help a little as more fluid in system to heat up, cast aluminum pan also works a little like a heat sink, but what turned corner for me was an additional trans cooler with a thermostat controlled electric fan, I got it from Summit made by Deralle fan comes on @ 170F return temp line from radiator return to trans which is where I tapped in, the cooler/fan is rated for 25K# towing loads I've yet to see above 200F trans temp in pan on mine since adding the additional cooler.

Provides cooling in stop/go or slow traffic where air thru grille mounted cooling equipment is compromised.

Any photos of the trans cooler w/ fan Tim? It sounds like a great idea. I also think PPE makes a pretty stout pan as well as rear end diff cover. I have the PPE deep pan and a PML rear diff cover. I like the PPE rear diff cover better.

Back