• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Atlas 1000 torque

Williamlee

Reaction score
Just a question since there is no drain plug in the Atlas 1000 torque converter has anybody drilled holes tap it and put their own drain plug in ?

Attachments

• 16065902801252073133783.jpg
    16065902801252073133783.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 3
Hit something in the converter with the drill bit, derbis left in the converter from drilling, unbalance the converter, cracks start from the hole and converter flex causing a leak or "Boom!" crack pops like a balloon complete failure, threads strip or otherwise fail loosing all the fluid and burning up the trans. That's a horrible idea... When are you going to start and post pics of the mod :happy:

I ordered a new torque converter just waiting for it to show up. Was planing on drilling the old one welding a bug on it kinda like the ones I've seen on aftermarket torque converter to help it not crack. But i didn't think of the balancing problems.

2 items-
Welding skills need to be on point- the cracking or leaking here will be the death of the converter and that will ruin the transmission too when it goes. And getting perfect weld without porosity being oil soaked - you can do it, but I would clean then acid etch it just like I had to when I was tigging on a tanker truck.

You have to rebalance it because of the added weight on that side. 1/20th of an ounce at 3,000 rpm 7-8” off centerline- Yeah that’s gonna destroy the input seal and pump in a week or two. You might find if there is a rebuild shop in your area where they can balance it after you weld it inplace. I can’t think of a diy way to balance one - its a specific balance machine like a tire rebalance machine is for that use. Plan on $100 and 2 day turn around.

Not that they are the only ones out there, but, who did you order a converter from and why? There is a lot of junk out there that can give you no end of trouble.

Yank Converters testing some other's junk:

Well i got the welding part of it covered , i got myself a nice little tig welder. Done a fare amount of presser welding hear in the patch. Thanks for the heads up on the balancing part tho . I ordered one from LQA. Its a used one but been tested. Reason for getting it was because was not sure if what im trying to do with it will work or not.

Back