• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

at wits end

He would need to do the EGR delete, too. 32 and 33 are EGR codes, and he just changed the EGR solenoids. It's definitely an 'S'...

pmd cable

casperselectronics.com check out their stuff. far better than these home made things you buy on e*** . i bought the pins and connectors and made my on out of much larger guage wire. remember the fuel solenoid draws a lot of current, and i also ran a seperate grd wire from the heat sink back to the ip grd point. the wire in some of these e*** cables are way to small and can not handle the current. cause the connections to over heat and you are walking!

casperselectronics.com check out their stuff. far better than these home made things you buy on e*** . i bought the pins and connectors and made my on out of much larger guage wire. remember the fuel solenoid draws a lot of current, and i also ran a seperate grd wire from the heat sink back to the ip grd point. the wire in some of these e*** cables are way to small and can not handle the current. cause the connections to over heat and you are walking!

Anyone ever -beef- up the main power wire to the PMD/FSD?

If your heatsink is grounded at mounting location somewhere on vehicle, separate wire back to IP ground point can cause ground-loop currents, not even good - FSD module is isolated from ground when installed correctly with the insulating thermal pad - FSD harness ground at IP is the only circuit ground for Fuel Solenoid and the driver section of FSD module on pin F - smaller ground on pin C is logic drive ground from PCM, not to be tied to pin F - 16ga is good for pins B, D, and F - 18ga is good for the logic drive pins A, C, and E - pin F should always tie back to IP ground point where Fuel Solenoid is oem grounded

A thermal pad does not insulate, as its entire purpose is to conduct heat. And it does a pretty bad job at it usually which is why they shouldnt be used.

Running the cable back to the IP would be to prevent an electric potential difference in grounds.

A thermal pad does not insulate, as its entire purpose is to conduct heat. And it does a pretty bad job at it usually which is why they shouldnt be used.

?? There's a fairly big difference between thermal and electrical conductivity. When JD says the FSD is insulated by the thermal pad, he's talking about ground-insulated (electrical).

As for 'fairly bad job' of conducting heat, how do you figure that? I've always felt that the stock thermal pad worked fairly well. ? I'm interested to know more.
buddy said:
Running the cable back to the IP would be to prevent an electric potential difference in grounds.

I gotta agree with gmctd on this one, buddy... getting a ground-loop current going is a sure way to mess with FSD timing - one of the reasons why early Stanadyne techs insisted that you couldn't make a 6' haraness work properly. They wanted to move the ground to the end, instead of leaving it at the IP, forming an induction loop via the extension ... shows up as transients on an oscilloscope, causes occasional 'events' in injection parameters, tossing codes every so often.

Leaving ground right where it is prevents that, something SSDiesel hasn't figured out. Note that Heath ground remains in the stock location and no issues... tells me you don't need to mess with it.

The pad may be an electrical isolator, as you are correct, thermal and electrical conductivity is only the same in metals.

In 12 years of building, upgrading and modifying computers it has become a well known fact that the thermal pads suck compared to using a metal based thermal grease, such as artic silver, to allow direct application to the heatsink. And a computer CPU or GPU is not even as high powered as these two PMD transistors.

only recently have some breakthroughs in carbon fiber infusing plastic has anyhting become close and better than some metal thermal conductance, unless of course the pads are made of diamond :)

I havent gotten any codes or had any issues with timing and I have monitored the stuff a bit. My PMD is grounded to the alternators engine ground too.

FWIW my PMD has been grounded to same engine bolt as my D.S. Battery. Took it off PMD when installing SS-DIESELs crap kit, and ended up putting it there 2 years ago mid winter when I bought my Heath. No issues. No codes. 2 years.

FWIW my PMD has been grounded to same engine bolt as my D.S. Battery. Took it off PMD when installing SS-DIESELs crap kit, and ended up putting it there 2 years ago mid winter when I bought my Heath. No issues. No codes. 2 years.

There are still people running the original PMD on the pump with no trouble too,
but they are the exception, as are you :smile5:

There are still people running the original PMD on the pump with no trouble too,
but they are the exception, as are you :smile5:

I plan on removing the intakes to clean/inspect pipe in a fuel filter before IP, I will move it back to where it belongs. Summertime jobby. Also want to plumb in a fuel pressure guage at the same time. I don't like the looks of digital, but it is by far the simplist for fuel pressure, and may mount it down low under the dash somewhere.

Back