• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

at wits end

beerwolf

Reaction score
I have read and reread the posts on this and still cant seem to get it going.

Demographics: tell us about your truck and your ambient conditions:

- Year: 1995______
- Truck model and class (ie: c2500) C/K1500 4x4 Z71_________
- Automatic or Standard auto__________
- Mileage: (indicate miles or km) 425,000 km_________
- Replaced parts and mods (IP, PMD, chip/PCM, TM, injectors etc) IP,PMD,LP,OPS___________
- Model: ‘S’ or ‘F’ engine, NA or Turbo, EGR? S –egr turbo______________
- Ambient outside temp: (indicate *C or *F) -2c__________
- What fuel are you using? (#1 Diesel, #2 Diesel, Bio, VO, WVO, etc) truck stop pump_________
- What fuel additives are you using? Kleen flow___________
- Where are you located? South ontario_____________

General maintenance: inspect and evaluate the condition of each. When were they last changed?
- Air filter cleaned K&N_________
- Fuel filter 8000km_________
- CDR Valve? 25,000km________
- Coolant – last flushed/replaced at today_____________
- Oil – synthetic/regular, changed at today_regular_________
- Batteries – state of charge, (matched set) replaced at matched age?_____________
- Battery cables and grounds (removed, cleaned and tightened): _cleaned_____________
- Glow Plugs - how many miles on them? __?_______ What type? __?___________
- Injectors - last changed at _?_____________

History: (Describe how the problem first appeared.)
- What were you doing when it happened? Driving down the street______________
- How was the truck running fine before this problem appeared? good_____________
- Has this problem ever happened before? no_______________________
- Describe any related factors that might be part of the problem. ______________
- Have you checked for DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Codes)? (Y.N) _Y___ And? none________

Diagnostics:

1] Starting:
1a] Does the engine start? _no________
1b] Does the engine crank over? _yes_______
1c] Are your batteries fully charged? _yes________
1d] Have you removed, cleaned, and tightened all battery connections? _yes______
1e] Does your Wait to Start light come on for a time? How long? _N/A
1f] Does your glow plug light come on? _yes ________ For how long? 10 sec________
1g] Do you see smoke from the exhaust while cranking? What color? none________

2] Fuel Issues (if not running):
2a] Can you hear your lift pump working? _yes___________
2b] Do you get a steady flow of fuel from the water drain (T-handle) ? _yes________
2c] Loosen the inlet line from the IP – is fuel coming out (Lift Pump on)? _yes__________
2d] Loosen an injector line and crank the engine - does fuel come out?no _________
2e] Do you hear a vacuum (hiss) when you remove the fuel cap? _yes__________

3] PMD / IP Issues
3a] Location of PMD (on pump, on intake, remote mounted) _now remote(bumper)__________
3b] Condition of Extension harness (if used) Vendor or Homemade? _vendor________
3c] Condition of grounds / ground wires to IP / PMD. Check Harness. OK_________
3d] PMD Make:Stanadyne ___________
3e] PMD Age: used X3_____________

4] Stalling Issues
4a] Do you experience stalling only when hot? no____________
4b] Does it stall under particular circumstances? (ie hit bump, or on accel) _no_____
4c] Does pouring cool water over the IP seem to help with restarting? n/A_________
4d] Is stalling momentary (engine recovers)? N/A_________
4e] Does SES light come on when engine hiccups? __N/A_______
4f] Does cruise control quit working when engine hiccups? _N/A__________
4g] Does re-starting seem to reset engine, restoring cruise and power? _N/A________
4h] Changes to dash lights or instruments during stalling events? N/A___________

5] Running Issues
5a] On cold start, does upper rad hose get hard before engine warms up? _no______
5b] Any bubbles or oil film in coolant overflow tank? no_______
5c] Any white slime on oil surfaces (dipstick, CDR, oil Fill cap)? _no_________
5d] Excessive white smoke from exhaust on cold start? At times_________
5e] Excessive black smoke from exhaust under hard acceleration? _yes_________

6] Performance Issues
6a] Do you have gauges? _no__________
6b] Maximum boost under load? ____________
6c] Have you added a performance PCM (reflash) or Chip? _no_____________
6d] Have you changed exhaust / downpipe / crossover? _yes__3”-4” no cat_____________
6e] Wastegate – mechanical or vacuum? _vaccuum_____________

7] Temperature-related Issues:
7a] Single or dual thermostats? __single__________
7b] Have you replaced them lately? Manufacturer of replacements? _________
7c] Have you pulled and cleaned Radiator and coolers lately? Yes when I replaced engine 25,000KM ago____________
7d] Have you replaced the fan clutch? Manufacturer of replacement? no________
7e] (winter) Have you tested your antifreeze? Good to what temp? _-40_________
7f] (winter) Are you using a winter grille cover? no___________

List and describe any other factors which are not addressed in this checklist.
We can’t see, hear, smell, or touch your truck, so the more descriptive information you can give, the more likely it is that somebody can assist you

The day it quit in the morning -22, it was plugged in. Started very easy,went to work. After work (8.5 hrs) truck was hard to start. Had to fire it up 3x. Lots of black smoke and some white. Started out ran fine for 15 min then just died, almost like you turned off the key. Would not restart.
Towed home. 3 weeks ago, been in my garage since.
Fuel at filter, T vavle, top of IP
Since then I have replaced, PMD with remote harness on bumper, LP, OPS, IP(used but tesed in reputable diesel shop ) Everything I have changed so far has not made a difference. Still no fuel at injectors which was where I started

Got power to ESO solenoid on top of IP when IGN switch is ON?

not sure. I have power at fuel sol. I just got a wiring dia and am going to check that right now

Last edited:
yes i have power at eso. PMD was used. I have 3 now. One that was on truck when it quit. Two, bought from EDAM in Quebec, used. Three was on used pump off running truck. The last IP was tested in London at a diesel shop with Pmd on, passed all tests.

Did you check the codes yourself by jumpering OBD pins A and B and putting truck in the ON position? If so, do you get just code 12, 12 sequential flashes of the SES light? If you dont get anything, or you dont get code 12 at all, after clearing all the codes and rechecking then your ECM or E-PROM could be bad.

Is your PMD harness still grounded to the IP? Is there a resistor in the PMD?

Did you try unplugging the Optical sensor on top of the IP?

Does the cranking change in sound and feel (shaking/vibration) if you unplug the crank position sensor?

I wouldnt suspect the fuel shutoff solenoid, because when mine was flaky and caused a no-start I still got some fuel through, a little, enough to make a good amount of smoke, just not to start.

If you have 3 PMD, try some of the other since it is easier to do now.

Make sure you don't move the ground.

Also, I am assuming you have an extension harness. With it on a heatsink, try to plug it directly w/o the extension harness.

the code shows #12
ground for PMD is still on IP and the resistor is in.
is the fuel shut off sol and the ESO the same thing?
optical sen not tried yet but was tested at shop
crank sensor not tried yet
I will try both of these now.

SUCCESS:D:D:D
It started. 2 PMD are good starts with them.
BAD ext cable(brand new)
I will be sending that one back.

Thank you everyone that posted for my problem, without all of you I would be stuck.Thanx again
Dan

Last edited:
SUCCESS:D:D:D
It started. 2 PMD are good starts with them.
BAD ext cable(brand new)
I will be sending that one back.

Thank you everyone that posted for my problem, without all of you I would be stuck.Thanx again
Dan

That is the second bad extension cable I have heard of in a month. Now you can have a good weekend.

Was the extension cable installed since the truck died? Or did it work before that and casued it to die? in which case dont you wish youd have just tried that on the side of the road :)

And if not is the PMD that wont start the one you took off originally?

a little post analysis of what actually happened

This is a common thing happened to people relocated their PMD using extension from the supplier mentioned above E***. When I read that, I just remember it.

I had the same thing happen to me, my ext. was from Pensacola Diesel,
they shipped me a new one as soon as I called them - this one I plugged
in and tried before mounting in the bumper :smile5:
Stuff happens, can't complain about the service I got from them though

Im still wondering what failed to begin with. The PMD was still on the IP when this happened? And when changing the IP the PMD was relocated? Did that original PMD fail with no warning, none of the stalling etc... Or did the IP actually fail, because if the shop could test the used one did they test yours? Did the shop install it too and not find the issue?

Few IPs just fail, for one to up and quit is the odd man out, those that do quit generally give some symptoms it is dying like errant speed regulation. if a driver was ever IP mounted IMO it is suspect, and I don't care waht EDAM says there is no way to test a used driver and have 100% confidence, when it comes to drivers used is used period.

I know things are tough all over but there is only 1 nearly infallable FSD solution you know the mantra "Get A Heath", 7 years no fail warranty, awesome customer support only way to let your loved ones drive the 6.5 and sleep good at night. http://www.heathdiesel.com/T/chevy-gm/chevy-9601/PMD-Isolators/

Uh, guys? We have a vendor on this site that sells extension cables... Leroy's price is good, warranty is from a 6.5 guy we know, so if you're just buying an extension, let's support him if you can, OK?

www.pmdcable.com

Given the number of issues people have had with Edam from Quebec, it's amazing that this keeps coming up.

A used PMD is a used PMD.

Well of you get it running take it to the local garage and have them check the oxygen sensor. The oxygen sensor is the most replaced electrical part of most diesel trucks.

Back