• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Are 2wd trucks good in the snow?

AngeloGibson

Reaction score
Hi everybody,
I've been a truck driver for quite some time. My job has to be away from home, and I rarely get to go home. In about a week I have a trip into a place with a lot of snow. I'm worried that my two-wheeled truck won't work in the snow. Anyone who knows the answer you can tell me?
Thanks everyone.

It depends whether the snow is plowed or not?
Most places that has regular snow are plowed so you should have traction.
Now, if you are in TX and it has snow, then you should be worried.
The city here don't have snow plow. LOL!!!

Good snow tires will help a bunch along with several hundred pounds in the bed

What he said.

Bags of sand makes good weight items. Plus if you got stuck sand can be poured out to gain traction in certain instances.

I have used everything from blocks of firewood to cinder blocks for weight, but those items can be subject to sliding around in the bed. Play sand from Lowes or Home Depot is normally packaged in durable plastic bags that with stands the weather. Put the weight as far to the rear as possible, near the tailgate.

If you have a limited slip rear differential helps tremendously. Regardless, if you don't want to/can't afford to put a new pair of Winter (not All-Season) tires on the rear, a much cheaper and great option is a set of radial "Z" type roller chains. Definitely about 750-900 pounds of sand bags/tubes between the rear axle/tailgate. Put a 2x8" board on edge behind the wheel wells from bed wall to bed wall to prevent the sand bags/tubes from shifting/sliding forward on a panic stop or impact. Stay light on the throttle from stops/while turning and the same with the brakes. Use coasting well in advance to slow to a safe braking speed for a stop light or a turn, don't lock your front tires.

I live in upstate NY and have of all things a 2wd dually.. which would be the worst thing ever for snow.. but a few hundred pounds in bed and I get pretty good traction..the real question is do YOU know how to drive in snow... As in are you experienced at it...if not then the truck isn't the issue..best truck in world can't give experience..

Some more items to carry are pieces of firewood and a couple shovels. Reasoning is that when stuck, shoveling some snow from in front of the drive tires can help (or in back if trying to back). Bonus is if it is safe enough to jack the truck, shove a piece of firewood under the spinning tire(s) for a little extra help with grip. By the way, if the snow is deep enough, might also need to dig out under the frame as snow under the truck will hold the truck in place no matter how much traction you get.

Carry some extra strong recovery straps as well. If you get stuck hard, might have to wait for another vehicle to pass by for some help with getting unstuck. Just make sure that the frame is not compacting snow and dig it out if it is.

For bed weight, there is another option of a water bag specifically designed for this purpose. Definitely would carry a bunch of sand and kitty litter for use as grip.

Along with sufficient weight on the rear and a LS differential (as already noted) another factor is tire pressure.

Sure, there are plenty of articles and emotional commentary about not messing with tire pressure, but my experience with this is that it will absolutely help with traction. Examples:

- Sports car with 50/50 weight distribution, rear drive LS, manual transmission, and highway all season radial tires (35 psi max variety). When it snowed a modest amount, I dropped psi to 20, put some kitty litter in the trunk, and carried as much fuel as possible (tank sat just in front of the axle). It was just me and the 4WD Jeeps out on the road. Did not venture out in depths past 6" as I did not want to push that car's limits.

- 8K# SOB 4WD diesel pickup, manual transmission, Load E highway radials, and a LS rear that did not always work:
> Scenario 1) 20" of snow. Let the weight of the snow in its bed act as a rear weight. Dropped psi to 20 and it plowed through. Had to stop and rock on occasion, but never got stuck.

> Scenario 2) Bottom of a muddy ravine with the 8' bed completely loaded with freshly split wood. Tires at their normal pressure spun as I tried to climb back up the hill (even in 4WD Low). Dropped to 50 psi and still spun. Dropped to 15 psi, rolled right out of the muck and back up the hill.

Regarding negative comments about dropping psi. I actually agree with the warnings of doing this as it is hard on the driveline and tires. So, when going this route, limit speed until taking the psi back up to a normal range as soon as possible.

To Stoney's point about experience with driving in snow, have a real world example of where the absolutely best vehicle will do nothing for an inexperienced and stubborn driver. In Scenario 1, I came across a fool in a Hummer equipped with a nice set of mudders whom volunteered to drive hospital employees to / from work. Despite a heavy vehicle, AWD, and good tires, that moron managed to get it stuck. Tires were completely aired-up and he was heavy on the throttle as if he was trying to do qualifying laps at a NASCAR race. Was funny to watch all tires spin as he flung snow everywhere and the Hummer just dug-in. I pulled him out once and offered suggestions on how to change driving habits and tire pressure. But, he was *way* too smart for me and continued to hit the throttle hard with fully aired tires after I got him free from where he dug-in. He eventually managed to get out of that community but I did not offer any more advice or help. The impressive show of four white rooster trails as the Hummer slid about was hilarious :)

Yelp, what those guys said, the best vehicle and tires available means nothing if the driver does not know how to drive in snow or mud. I am not saying that your not a good driver, but since you asked the question in post 1, I would assume you have never driven in the snow, much. Like those guys said experience is only gained by driving in those conditions. Each trip creates different situations as far as getting traction and stopping. A dry powdery, fluffy snow tends to offer better traction than a wet slushy type snow. Things like that you learn by driving on those snow covered roads.

When driving in snow reduce your speeds and drive like there is an egg under your pedals. Increase following and stopping distances. Easy on the go pedal and brake pedal. If it was to be a straight drive, same with the clutch and travel in higher gears reducing engine rpm when going up grades. Car control is the biggie, knowing what to do when the back end kicks out sideways. What to do if it starts sliding down the hill, so on.

Last but not least no matter how fast the other drivers on the highway are passing you, don't feel like you have to keep up with them. More than likely their the ones you will find stuck in the median or flipped upside down around the next curve. Driving normal speeds or too fast on bad road conditions proves nothing at all. It goes back to that extra testosterone or watch me syndrome.

Those little lines on the tires bigr posted are called siping the more of those the better. The other factor is softer rubber so it's more flexible in the cold

Yes Sir, they get a gripe and I can feel how soft they are. They serve one main purpose, get a gripe on snow and ice. Their not too bad in rain conditions either. I run them from the first winter snow to about April or May. This is the third winter of use.

I have another set of wheels with all season tires that I put on after I figure the winter snow is over.

4WD gets you going better and helps you stop a little better. But it makes turning harder. I ran a open diff "one tire fire" 2WD pickup in snow for years. Some were 2WD 4 banger S15's with a manual transmission. And shoveled em out a couple times as well. It's why I live here and laugh at other's misery dealing with that white krap.

A G80 locker is safer for ice. Other posi or lockers can step the rear end out by loosing the limited traction on both rather than just one tire. Hit black ice from a melting snowbank up north at elevation once. Was otherwise dry roads under full power with a trailer and the rear stepped out on the ice never mind lockers or not as too much power on ice broke em both loose with a full load in the bed and trailer. The skid marks were impressive to recover it.

Bluntly if you don't have to go and deal with shitty ice and snow covered roads DON'T! This trip will make you what kind of cash vs. risk of wadding your pickup up in a rollover after sliding off the road. Medical can be more expensive than the pickup to replace even new. In this modern suicidal world your experience doesn't matter as others with zero experience are more than happy to discover they can't stop on ice and plow into you depending on the area and local experience as mentioned already. Some areas are not bad as they have the equipment to de-ice and plow the roads vs. oddball storms like in Texas where they simply don't. A plowed and ice treated road is better than a iced over snow covered slick road.

In the end just remember you will have as hard or harder time stopping than you did getting going.

Last edited:
4WD gets you going better and helps you stop a little better. But it makes turning harder. I ran a open diff "one tire fire" 2WD pickup in snow for years. Some were 2WD 4 banger S15's with a manual transmission. And shoveled em out a couple times as well. It's why I live here and laugh at other's misery dealing with that white krap.

A G80 locker is safer for ice. Other posi or lockers can step the rear end out by loosing the limited traction on both rather than just one tire. Hit black ice from a melting snowbank up north at elevation once. Was otherwise dry roads under full power with a trailer and the rear stepped out on the ice. The skid marks were impressive to recover it.

Bluntly if you don't have to go and deal with shitty ice and snow covered roads DON'T! This trip will make you what kind of cash vs. risk of wadding your pickup up in a rollover after sliding off the road. Medical can be more expensive than the pickup to replace even new. In this modern suicidal world your experience doesn't matter as others with zero experience are more than happy to discover they can't stop on ice and plow into you depending on the area and local experience as mentioned already. Some areas are not bad as they have the equipment to de-ice and plow the roads vs. oddball storms like in Texas where they simply don't.

In the end just remember you will have as hard or harder time stopping than you did getting going.

I have drove 4, S-10 trucks since 1984, one 2 wheel drive the other three were 4 wheel drives. None ever left me stuck beside of the road in snow.

I currently drive a (daily driver) 2002 S-10, 4.3, V-6, 4x4, the 3.73 rear gears, with almost 150,000 miles on her, none of them ever left me stranded ever in snow. Seems like those trucks have a pretty good weight balance and if you do your part your good to go.

The places I went and things I did with my '80 Subaru DL 1600cc, 4 speed manual, 4WD, two door hatchback that guys with 4WD, lifted pickups said "No way, man" to with their rigs - and I just bombed right on through/over/up it. I still have a set of 175/75-13 BFG Mud Terrains mounted on wagon-spoke rims for it sitting out in the garage, even though I parted it out and got rid of it at 175,000 miles back in '92.

The places I went and things I did with my '80 Subaru DL 1600cc, 4 speed manual, 4WD, two door hatchback that guys with 4WD, lifted pickups said "No way, man" to with their rigs - and I just bombed right on through/over/up it. I still have a set of 175/75-13 BFG Mud Terrains mounted on wagon-spoke rims for it sitting out in the garage, even though I parted it out and got rid of it at 175,000 miles back in '92.

There again its knowing how to drive, if you don't know what to do, then a 6 wheel drive, aint going to do you a lick of good.

I have took 2 wheel, front wheel drive vehicles all over the place and passed up all kinds of jeeps and four wheel drives, its all about knowing what to do baby.... ;) Car control and experience is king.

I gotta add I have had some specialized drivers training on high speed tracks, skid pads, you name it. There are alot of tricks of the trade that i have in my pocket............ ;)

Great driving skills are king..... ;)

One other thing of advise, flat land drivers learn to drive curvy mountain roads before you venture into those areas, you must stay on your side of the yellow line....

Last edited:
I have drove 4, S-10 trucks since 1984, one 2 wheel drive the other three were 4 wheel drives. None ever left me stuck beside of the road in snow.

I currently drive a (daily driver) 2002 S-10, 4.3, V-6, 4x4, the 3.73 rear gears, with almost 150,000 miles on her, none of them ever left me stranded ever in snow. Seems like those trucks have a pretty good weight balance and if you do your part your good to go.

Who said I was on a road?

Besides you got to learn somewhere sometime. Snow, ice, and a muddy road would get the S15. 4WD would just go further. Dessert sand with a trailer was an epic stuck (2000 GMC Sonoma with a gov lock rear buried till the diff was touching) where the 4X4 tow truck got stuck trying to reach us. Took a front end loader to get us all out...

No, officer I am NOT doing doughnuts in the parking lot. I am learning how to drive on snow. :angelic:

Polaroid of stuck in sand cus that was the camera of the day and no auto exposure on that camera.

yellow_iron_stuck_l.jpg

What SAND? 😉

Only sand around these here parts is the sand in some of these river bottoms. Only vehicle I ever saw stuck in sand around here was my grandpa buried a 2 wheel drive, Case 650 tractor to the hub while plowing his bottom land. I jogged 2 miles (up a mountain) to the truck to get a shovel and we dug the sand out from under the axles enough to get it out. We didn't have no 4 wheel drive tractors back then, one wrong move on mountain land and you are in a pickle. I have had more than a few close calls on those tractors on mountain land that would make your butt pucker up.

Main thing we have to worry about is turning over on the hillside or going off of the side of the mountain. 😱

Back