• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Anyone try the Hurricane 7 wheel?

restoguy

Reaction score
So I know that Heath can be all over the place sometimes with the parts they sell. Offering one thing and then dropping it in favor of something else or just forgetting about it all together. But I do think that they try to offer good stuff to us for an engine that everybody else has forgotten about. I see on the site that they have a new compressor wheel for the GMx turbos. Given the goings-on in my other thread, I don't want anybody to get any ideas about my thoughts, just wondered if anyone had tried the wheel yet.

Look up Wicked Wheel. Some have tried that. Again the real issue is the small exhaust housing on the GMx turbos causing extreme backpressure.

I want a batmowheel. Just because it's fun to say! Batmowheel...

But seriously, I kind of thought the problem was more than just the compressor wheel. They had a complete turbo that was supposed to be based on the HX40, then it went away and they offered the Super 8, now the Hurricane 7 wheel. No pics of any of it. I know we are cheap bastards that steal a good idea instead of pay for it, but that's just how it is.

The gm turbos just are not built for high rpm. It's too small. I would. LOVE to be able to get another 900 rpm (engine speed) worth out of my gm6. Changing both wheels and a lot of metal work like a cobra head is in my wishes at the moment. Anyone not using the van turbo that can change out their sidemounted turbo and doesn't is missing the boat big time IMO.

I always wondered about that van setup. Can you make a T3 up-pipe adapter so you can run a normal turbo? What do the Hummer guys do for a better puffer?

Nothing except a better wheel that I have seen other than the supercharger that used to be available. I looked for one of those a long time, once I had the money to buy one I couldn't find one for sale.
As far a a bigger turbo, it becomes a cluster duck of a mess on everyone I have seen. Most of the people with the money just pay someone else to do a Duramax / Allison conversion. Rather than spending the cash and no assurance, most of the owners we not the DIY people. They are a sign a check person.
I have so many projects in front of me it will be at least a year and a half before I consider any turbo games, unless this one lets loose.

You can make another turbo fit a van but it takes time, energy if you do it yourself or money if you pay someone.\

I put a billet compressor wheel on a customers 98 dually, he tows a huge 5th wheel, noticed a bit more power and a slight reduction in EGT's.

I saw that whipple setup. I watched it out of curiosity, but I didn't realize it was the only thing avaliable for the van/hummer guys. Some of the marine 6.5's had supercharger on them too, I think.

I saw that whipple setup. I watched it out of curiosity, but I didn't realize it was the only thing avaliable for the van/hummer guys. Some of the marine 6.5's had supercharger on them too, I think.

Its not the only thing available.

ok, I was hoping you knew some more magic tricks for the gm6 besides the one wheel you showed us in the other thread.

Back