• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Anyone in CT need a motor?

Yup, she is an awesome platform, so im doing all new seals and a 100k mile replacement part objective....

Aces, you can get a reman'd unit for 3200 dyno tested and all. Or you can get one built with new block and heads for $4100 at 6-5Liter .com.

They even have full drop in units with everything attached with new or reman'd accessories. Those ones are a little pricier though. That may be who I will be going with if I need one. Although, I haven't looked into local builders yet.

You can get the same engine even cheaper if you go straight to International Diesel.

Luck of the draw, with DD, which is where Ratman's came from(was supposed to be mine, thankfully it went to Rich 1st :D), parts for my project engine from DD, parts arrived intact, but I ordered a Scat crank vs. the one DD was selling, IIRC DD no longer sells that crank, nor the blocks, been about a year since I talked to those guys. Their pistons-rings-rebuild kits bolt on stuff was good OEM quality stuff, so I would not discount them wholesale as a non vendor, shipping of parts after the order was always a PITA, good stuff once it arrived. Save yourself some grief though buy from a site vendor.

FWIW 6.5 Liter and International remans have not fared well in reports from those that have bought from them on most of the 6.5 forums

For a really good one build it yourself then you really know what you got. Biggest challange is finding a good machine shop.

I'm thinking if I rebuilt it it would be a really BAD one. I've installed cams, heads, intakes and easier stuff but I don't think I should be bolting cranks into high compression motors. I have a smooth driveway. I don't want cranks sticking out of it.

FWIW 6.5 Liter and International remans have not fared well in reports from those that have bought from them on most of the 6.5 forums

So who is a good builder to buy from? I get my car motors done by a couple of motor guys that my friend with a speed shop deals with, but he doesn't know any diesel shops. I don't know enough people with diesels, and none that have motor buying experience.

I'm thinking if I rebuilt it it would be a really BAD one. I've installed cams, heads, intakes and easier stuff but I don't think I should be bolting cranks into high compression motors. I have a smooth driveway. I don't want cranks sticking out of it.

It's really not as hard as you would think just look at MGW's thread.

A good motor shop should have no problem putting one of these together, yes they are diesel, but its still an internal combustion engine by GM.

Yeah, but the problem is knowing which one is a GOOD motor shop.
Back around '87 (damn, I'm gettin' old) I had a guy do a motor for my Oldsmobile. He was supposed to be great at performance builds. Not long after it was built, the rear main started leaking so bad that I couldn't drive for 100 miles without having to put oil in it. He shaved the heads too much, but didn't match the intake to it, so the motor had almost no vacuum, and I kept losing trannies. Or maybe the great tranny builder wasn't good. Anyway, race motor no warranty, wouldn't fix it. A couple of years ago I had one done for my gasser, and it wouldn't hold oil pressure even on the highway, unless you really had your foot in it. Had that one rebuilt by someone else who was supposed to be good, and I specifically told him to put in a high volume oil pump. Guess what. He didn't. So I had to do it
The only person that I KNOW would do a good job does my performance stuff, and I have been trying to get a motor in there for my car since February. He's just too busy, and I don't know if I could even get him to take my plain ole diesel in there with all of the race motors he has lined up.
I just have to start looking more. There is a diesel shop in town, but I doubt they build them, just work on them, but they may have connections.

Back