• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Anyone else have issues with TB crossmember

Jorge6.5

Reaction score
Had my truck jacked up the other day on the right front corner under the frame rail. I grabbed the cross member for the back of the torrsion bars and I could move the crossmember up and down inside the isolators. Is this normal or are the rubber isolators toast?

I think they are bad because I can feel and clunk under my seat when hitting bumps. Everything else in the steering and suspension are good.

Thanks very much.

I had an isolator or bushing wear out on a s-15. Nephew's truck a newer 1500 had a bolt come out and lost the bushing thingy. I have seen those types of problems and you get a bang or clang noise when you hit a big bump in the road. I think both times a bolt loosened to cause problem. Once replaced all was good.

I think there is too much slop. I think they could use replacing now with 243,000 miles so far

How do I go about replacing them?

I'm not sure about your generation of truck, I just replaced one on my 2002. Groung off the rivets that held it on and bolted in a new one. Took about an hour. Easy and the replacement was about $40.00. Cheaper if I would have ordered one online, but I needed it fixed now.

Mine is a gmt400 and different from the newer trucks.

I'm curious if there is a polyurethane option instead of the rubber factory style. Will have to search this.

I did a set before, but I had the torsion bars out when I was doing it so I don't know if htey have to be out to do it or not.

The bars were in on mine. The bushing had rusted away on one end and it was thumping up and down. The cross member that holds the ends of the t bars just kinda "floats" via the bushings on each end. I'm thinking that both bushings could be broken and the t bars would still stay in place, just bang around a lot.

Back