• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Anybody have heater hose/core flow data?

I get that and whilst I have only given this so much thought there is plausibly merit in looking at temp differential using accurate temp measurement. Perhaps a waste of time but I'd most likely play around with installing a Tee and digital temp gauge and sender and seeing if I could establish a noteable differential in temp when placing some or more restriction on flow. It could be just single digit degrees changes but if it is reproducible that is still valid.

Cheers
Nobby

Ah, now I see. I thought you meant you would look at temps to diagnose a blinded filter, which I thought was odd, because it would easily be the number one suspect. I see what you're saying now. That's an interesting concept. My preference would be to measure flow directly rather than extrapolate it from another style of reading, but I do like the alternate perspective. I guess that means I'd rather stick my head up a bull's ass to get a good steak rather than take a butcher's word for it. 😁

Well before I could complete my plans for the next step, I was forced to make a change early.

Yesterday I had to go into the office, so I decided to drive the truck in so I could show it to a buddy of mine. While I was showing him under the hood I noticed coolant leaking from the heater hose filter. Heck of a way to impress a guy….

So I had to remove that and then install the screw-on coolant filter I had using stuff I had laying around. I installed a bleed valve on the outlet of the filter head so I can purge air since it’s so high and so I can crack it open and see if it’s clogged or not. I still plan on installing a flow meter, but this will get me by for a while. The old filter didn’t have as much junk in it this last time, so hopefully a lot of the larger junk in the system has been removed already.

FC3502C5-BD8C-4C1A-8D0E-59EAEE4082D5.jpeg

The old filter had 2 cracks in the plastic body. This is weird since the plastic isn’t structural….the brass spine is. I guess it just couldn’t handle the environment. Good thing it didn’t let go at a critical moment.

B376AE4C-8B28-4002-8978-5ECAA628E979.jpegA354A3E5-F2B8-4E4B-BBC1-00054BF1F770.jpeg

Back