• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Any way to add a 40-gal. fuel tank in the back in tandem w/ stock sidesaddle tank?

Sentinelist

Reaction score
I'm planning to relocate my spare tire (probably to a tow hitch receiver upright mount, still TBD) in order to free up space for fuel capacity. Has anyone hooked up one of the 40-gal. monsters from a Suburban to the stock sidesaddle fuel tank on the driver's side frame rail? Is there an intermediate lift pump needed? I just want to maximize my range- I've got some 5-gal. NATO cans as well. Thoughts?

It's been done. I think burning oil did it to one of his, but I'm not certain. You can use a transfer pump and manually transfer it in as needed, or install a selector valve inline like from a mid 90's FORD.

Can be done fairly easy just depends how you want to do the filler neck. The Suburban harware will fit with minor triming of its cross member. You can run the filler neck to the wheel well or cut a hole in the bed and weld up a fuel door. That obviously requires paint & body work. You could probably even run the filler inside the bed.

Good deal. With my truck camper largely 'permanently' installed, I'm looking at either a classic license plate filler option (?) or manual transfer somehow using the standard single filler neck. I wonder if I could fab that up from an old Caprice or something. Recommendations on a transfer pump? Manually may be OK if I have separate gauges for each tank and a way to control it from a switch in the cabin...

Leroy- one of these weekends I'm going to have some free time to get those other parts on from January and will update my sig...

GM used a stock 6.5 lift pump as there transfer pump for most of the dual tank diesel rigs. The valve setup I linked above can be used to switch the dual fuel lines and sender signals for your gauge with the flip of a switch. For filling, you might could use a late model Y like the newer BURBS used from 00-05. They had dual tanks with one filler.

Great! your in Houston Right?

I don't think you be able to put filler neck behind licence plate, I think its lower than the tank?
Nice thing about a Burb tank is that you can wire it up to work with the fuel gauge.
Im gearing up to build a camper for mine and want to do the Burb tank in this truck to. Also want to have a propane tank, but dont know where to put it. Maybe on top of the roof?

What about a (both '84 6.2's) Suburban tank in a Blazer to get that extra 10 gallons?

I bet its pretty tight. I'd meassure one and see before you buy. But that brings up an idea. Depending on how big the Blazzer tank is maybe I could fit my propane tank in ther too? (doughtful)

Great! your in Houston Right?

I don't think you be able to put filler neck behind licence plate, I think its lower than the tank?
Nice thing about a Burb tank is that you can wire it up to work with the fuel gauge.
Im gearing up to build a camper for mine and want to do the Burb tank in this truck to. Also want to have a propane tank, but dont know where to put it. Maybe on top of the roof?

Dallas! I just remembered you're in Houston. Good call on the filler neck there- it may be lower, or at least mid-level, with the tank there if I'm remembering my Dad's 1998 Sub correctly... I like the ability with this to use one gauge!

Right on with the camper build. It has changed my truck into a completely different animal. My camper (Lance 815, highly recommended) has a space on the passenger side for propane tank storage- there's a 20 lb. tank in there now. For extra bottles? Yeah maybe up top strapped to a safari rack. Or get a trailer for hauling extra bulk like that. :)

What about a (both '84 6.2's) Suburban tank in a Blazer to get that extra 10 gallons?

Hey, whatever works. But the Suburban tanks like I'm talking about are a direct swap to my understanding- same chassis. It's just the plumbing and usage I'm trying to figure out.

Hey, whatever works. But the Suburban tanks like I'm talking about are a direct swap to my understanding- same chassis. It's just the plumbing and usage I'm trying to figure out.

Not totally direct swap, but fairly easy once you figure out the filler neck. You have to remove spare tire wench cross member, cut Burb cross member to fit, plumb & wire.
I have a 1972 Blazzer type filler neck in mind for next time. It go's inside the bed if you turn neck 180 degrees and has a real nice sheild to cover it from loads in the bed. I used one on my 70 chevy truck and it worked awesome.

has anyone looked into the new Titan tank Spare tire replacement tank? you would think it would fit our trucks, with custom filler neck and wiring solutions of course.

https://titanfueltanks.com/sparetirepr-images-html/

http://www.xtremediesel.com/titan-4020208-spare-tire-auxiliary-fuel-system.aspx?

I think I would rather spend a couple hundred and get the suburban tank in there and get more capacity.

I have kicked around this idea for quite some time, but have not been able to get stated on it. Everytime i'm at the JY and remember to pull a suburban's tank and straps there are always holes poked in them. I have not put a tape on frames yet, but I seem to recall that the frame widths between the 3500s and other trucks (suburbans) are different. Not that it is a big problem, but it is easier to shorten a crossmember than it is to lengthen it. One of these days i'll get on it.

has anybody looked at the way ''monroe truck' did the fillers on the dually bed conversions?,or just put it inside the wheel liner

I saw pictures of a fill spout behind a hinged taillight on a squarebody.
The license plate fill has been done too but the bed crossmember was notched to clear it.

From orbit via Android.

I liked that idea. Some old 50's Olds or Buick had that to ever since I wanted to do it on something. The truck might be a good canidate, but seems to be pretty tight back in there?

I liked that idea. Some old 50's Olds or Buick had that to ever since I wanted to do it on something. The truck might be a good canidate, but seems to be pretty tight back in there?

The cap was below the taillight housing. I assume this is a 67-72 chassis with the smaller lights that don't wrap around the corner. That would be really really tight.

From orbit via Android.

Back