• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Any suggestions for synthetic power steering fluid?

Heartbeat Hauler

A(ACLU) Agent Yoda
Reaction score
I've been looking for synthetic power steering fluid and I was hoping that Valvoline was in the local parts store...around here it's NAPA and Advance Auto. Turns out Valvoline doesn't offer it anymore....bummer. So, what are you all using that's available?

Oh, BTW, I'll need enough to do a flush which I think is about a gallon?

Last edited:
Thanks Marty! I'll check it out. I have really been looking locally but I am coming up empty! Matter of fact the local auto parts stores are having a hard time verifying that what they have on t he shelf meets GM spec. NAPA store called in the GM part # to where ever they call to, and was told it takes standard power steering fluid. The NAPA brand is Valvoline but not synthetic. I need some front and rear diff oil maybe I'll just do it all at once from one of the Amsoil guys.

Don't forget the transfer case, which takes ATF. Amsoil has all the fluid specs (type, weight, amount) on their website. Just punch in your vehicle and it should pop up.

Don't forget the transfer case, which takes ATF. Amsoil has all the fluid specs (type, weight, amount) on their website. Just punch in your vehicle and it should pop up.

Ed,
I just changed out the xfer case oil with Transynd. I got a real good deal on the stuff, about $30 per gallon. Diffs are due in about 10,000 miles maybe then.

Sounds good. ;)

Lots of people over-look the T-case, especially in northern states where we're in 4wd half the year.

I've got 3 qts of 5W30 Mobil1 (1qt overfill) in my TC per the info from the rebuilder that Mike L posted on DP some time back. Changed it out once last winter and have had good luck with that particular mod.

I was thinking I would do the diffs and power steering with the Amsoil. Problem is, my power steering fluid is 10 years old come May 2011, and I didn't want to wait another 10K miles to flush it when I do my diffs. I went to NAPA, Advance Auto didn't have the fluid that meets GM spec :dunno:, anyways, I went to NAPA and bought a gallon of their NAPA brand (Valvoline) and flushed it this afternoon. That fluid was really black! I think the Valvoline, not synthetic, will last 10K miles until I get the Amsoil.

I was surprised it only took about 40 minutes to do the whole process, and while the steering feels better it did NOT help my spongy brake pedal feel....rats.

What was your process for flushing it?

Under the hood on the driver's side next to the fire wall up high there is a rubber return line w/ a spring clip holding it on. It's real obvious and the only one there. I removed the clip and hose, then attached a piece of clear 3/8" tubing 6.5ft long onto the fitting using a small hose clamp. Ran the other end to a catch pan on the floor. Start the truck, in park, slowly depress the brake pedal as far as you can and hold it. Then turn your steering wheel clockwise 1/4 turn, back to center, then 1/4 turn counter clockwise then back to center. Slowly release the brake and re-apply and turn steering wheel again. Continue this until you hear the pump make noise (mine took 3 iterations). Stop immediately and turn off truck. Fill the power steering reservoir with fresh power steering fluid ( I used NAPA brand which is actually valvoline $12.99 a gallon). Then repeat this procedure until you see clear fluid coming from the hose. Make sure that you put something on the hose in the catch pan to hold the end of the hose in the pan. Mine took a little over 3/4 of a gallon. Probably more than I needed but I wanted to get as much old stuff out as I could, and like I said, the old fluid was BLACK! Then, remove the clear hose and reattach the rubber return line. Also, make sure there is enough new fluid left over to refill the power steering pump when you're done. AND, after you refill for the final time, start the truck and move the wheel back and forth, then recheck fluid level, add if needed. All done.

I can't take credit for this procedure somebody else did a really good write up on it with pics (HookMHornS I think?). Not sure if it is here or at the other place... ;) Look in the DIY or Maint. threads for power steering/Hydro-boost flush.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that up Jeff. I went ahead and put it into a DIY for everybody's future reference.

In the past I had used Royal purple synthetic PS fluid, I have since switched to Mobil 1 ATF in my PS system. .My understanding was that ATF is very close to PS fluid, close enough that it really didnt matter. I figure the pump never worked all that well anyways and the syn made it better. I have had it in for 2 yrs now with good service, the pump even stopped squealing on cold mornings after the switch to M1.

Valvoline MaxLife ATF would probably work well too. I have a gallon jug of that at home, so that's what will probably go in, lol.

In years gone past most of the PS systems used ATF, just like engine oil, the modern ATF is far superior to previous formulas.
We have a truck at work that uses 15w40 oil in its system.

A couple of years ago when I checked, Royal Purple was the only synthetic power steering fluid I found that met the GM specs. for trucks with brake boosters. Amsoil techs reported that Amsoil did not have a power steering fluid for that application at that time

Last edited:
Back