• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Any Pros/Cons for a 98 6.5L engine?

GM Guy

Manual Trans. 2WD Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is good or bad about the 98 as compared to the other years?

Dad is at an auction, and this is towards the end. it is a 98 C3500HD.

Thanks!

They have the oil spray blocks which were more prone to cracking IIRC.

They have the oil spray blocks which were more prone to cracking IIRC.

97-early 99 castings are the first oil piston sprayer blocks, and were also the low nickel ones that were most prone to cracking.

so 98 is weaker b ecause of the extra oil galleys for the piston squirters, and the metallurgy isn't as great (low nickel)? is this right?

So excluding the better cooling, a 98 is less reliable than say a 2000/late 99 or a 95?

Wow.....weak sauce old man.:D I though i taught you better. Guy can't tell 98 from 93!):h

Sale bill said it was a 98. He went with it, but looked through the glovebox, 1992 owners manual, so i had him describe the dash, then look under the hood at the pump, and i am 95% sure The thing was a 1992 or 1993.

He got it though. for 2,600 i think? He got it Knowing it was the older block, and possibly the mechanical. (It is at least a 94 older, according to dash) If it was a 98, he would have talked himself out of it.

1992 or 1993 (maybe even 94) GMC C3500HD summit white 159.5" chassis regular cab SL, west coast mirrors, 6.5L Turbo Diesel, NV4500 5spd manual, 2wd dana 80.

He also got a 2000 GMC C3500 summit white regular cab SL, west coast mirrors. 350 Vortec, 4L80E auto, 2wd 159.5" chassis cab w/ 12 foot x 8 foot flatbed. for around 2,900 bucks.

I want to buy the 6.5L off of him. only downfall is no A/C. otherwise, perfection!:D

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Not for a while. :sad: Will go get them around the 15th.

Dad has obviously ran 7.3L N/As in need of overhaul for too long... the 6.5 he just bought, he was really impressed with, as it sat all day at the auction, no keys, then when they got to it, key in, run glows, then she fired on the first attempt. It was under freezing by a decent amount.

Good old 6.5!:thumbsup:

But yeah, when we get them home i'll try and get them up here. Supposedly, the 2000 GMC 350/auto 2wd C&C is a real creampuff, only 60K, someone bought it when their truck died, and they were off on a construction crew. they drove it home when they were done for the year and consigned it, and dad got it for 2,900.

Back