• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Any Cracked Piston members here?

BoostN

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
After all you hear about the LBZ pistons. I was curious if we had any members that have been a victim?

I'm at 50K now, and still running strong. My truck has been tuned since 3,000 miles. I'm setting around ~425 or less RWHP.

Maybe it'll hold out so I can get my trans build. Then, I guess I'll be saving the nickels for a build motor..:doh:

I do think I'm going try to be a member..:D

Does this only happen with a programmer turned up high or does it happen being all stock or just a tow tune? My dad is looking into getting an LBZ. He'll probably leave it stock but I might be able to talk him into a programmer.

Does this only happen with a programmer turned up high or does it happen being all stock or just a tow tune? My dad is looking into getting an LBZ. He'll probably leave it stock but I might be able to talk him into a programmer.

For the most part it is happening to trucks that are over 500 Hp. Some have done it with less and some for some reason stay together. A programmer should no problem at all.

I dont think theres any rhyme or reason for it. I have heard RUMORS of stock trucks cracking ( no personal proof) and others from as little as a tow tune to high HP tunes cracking. I personally have been at over 500 hp for 45K miles with a total of just over 69K on the truck. I must have gotten a good motor lol

Hmm, so the dealers are probably denying warranties on the programmed trucks?

My dad would be pretty pissed if I talked him into a programmer and then he cracked a piston!

Hmm, so the dealers are probably denying warranties on the programmed trucks?

My dad would be pretty pissed if I talked him into a programmer and then he cracked a piston!

They try to deny warranty any and every way they can. With that saying, it really depends on the dealer your using. Some are more lenient than others.

We have a pretty good dealer sales and body shop wise...not sure how they are about warranty work since we've never had too many serious issues to deal with.

From what i have seen, high timing +35*, ecessive egt's, and low boost have been putting holes in the piston. Im at 26K and havent had a problem

From what i have seen, high timing +35*, ecessive egt's, and low boost have been putting holes in the piston. Im at 26K and havent had a problem

How is thing's going now with them dual DPF's?? :D

Off a little

Your off just a little on your guess of 425HP, you can add about 100 HP to that.:thumbsup: But we see at Suncoast 2010, if we make it.
After all you hear about the LBZ pistons. I was curious if we had any members that have been a victim?

I'm at 50K now, and still running strong. My truck has been tuned since 3,000 miles. I'm setting around ~425 or less RWHP.

Maybe it'll hold out so I can get my trans build. Then, I guess I'll be saving the nickels for a build motor..:doh:

Your off just a little on your guess of 425HP, you can add about 100 HP to that.:thumbsup: But we see at Suncoast 2010, if we make it.

Yea, I'm defiantly over 500 now with Rob's tuning.

Back