• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

anti freeze

As far as I know it won't, just flush the old stuff out real good. The two types don't mix well.

hey i have a 2003 6.6 durmax will it hurt anything if i change the anti freeze to the old green stuff thanks in advance

others have done it, but Personally I wouldn't...I'd stay with a 50/50 mix of DexCool and distilled water JMHO

DON'T mix green with dex-cool unless you want a NASTY mess in your cooling system. Run DEX-COOL in it as it isn't bad stuff contrary to what many believe(sort of like how many say cars today are junk but were great 50 years ago).

The biggest problem with Dexcool is that it didnt last as long as GM hyped it for. Its part of the ongoing process of GM creating a revenue stream for things they can license, like the new Dexos approved oils.

The biggest problem with Dexcool is that it didnt last as long as GM hyped it for. Its part of the ongoing process of GM creating a revenue stream for things they can license, like the new Dexos approved oils.

DEX-COOL used in the correct style cooling system wil llast a LONG time, no problem. I have had a few come to me with well over 7 years and 200K miles and it still loked like new. The big problem was that GM put it in cooling sytems not designed for ELC.

If you want a "Forever" coolant go with Evans NPG+, it's a little more than antifreeze but never goes bad and won't kill animals.....

Coolant doesn't go bad, it is the additives and saturation of cantaminets that makes it go bad. You can filter and put an additive package back in it and run it another 5 years and just keep doing that so long as the levels in it stay proper.

What about the dmax head gaskets failing?

The plastic intake manifold gaskets on the 3400 and other gassers.. Bad gaskets?

What's the verdict on these?

What about the dmax head gaskets failing?

The plastic intake manifold gaskets on the 3400 and other gassers.. Bad gaskets?

What's the verdict on these?

The DURAMAX head gaskets that failed have absolutely nothing to do with the coolant. It had to do with poor design that caused the gasket to work against itself over heat cycles(riveted VS the new crimped design). After mid year 03 they were improved, and again in 05(?). Head gasket problems on stock DURAMAX trucks is quite uncommon now. Not sure on the 3400, but the 5.0/5.7L VORTEC gasket problems was 2 fold. One thing was ELC was a new thing and the long term effects of it to certain plastics was an unknown factor as well as its long term effects on some o-rings. Up until about 01 or so GM was using a plastic that was not fully compatible long term with dex-cool, and the o-rings were updated around 99 to the compatible ones. The 2nd intake gasket problems with the vortecs anyways was the clamping design. They used a bolt clamping angle that caused it to actually crush the gaskets when the metals expanded. I know if you buy new intake daskets for a early vortec after about 06 they now use a metal sleeve built into the gasket to help prevent gasket crushing. This has pretty much taken care of gasket failures on them as well. Many people blamed dex-cool, but in reailty it wasn't the fault of the coolant but the lack of long term data.

Coolant doesn't go bad, it is the additives and saturation of cantaminets that makes it go bad. You can filter and put an additive package back in it and run it another 5 years and just keep doing that so long as the levels in it stay proper.

I have a filter setup on my 05 but after a ton of research could not find any type of a balancer that can be used with Dexcool. My goal would be to use a need release filter in my setup but the balancer is only compatible with the green coolant.

I know there iso ne out there, but don't know of any directly dex-cool compatible. Maybe try looking for one for the CAT ELC as it is basically just dex-cool with a slightly differrent dye in it.

Did they have the Dexcool (gasket mat'l) problems figured out by '96.. ('96 Impala SS bone stock 6100 miles) I was thinking about switching it out to standard green..

Back