• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Another wonderful day!

Pillow

Recruit
Reaction score
I just wanted to start a warm and fuzzy thread for the 6.5s :)

I started a new job which requires a lot of travel on the road car/airplane. So far mostly car time and the Suburban has done a great job!

Just this morning I drove up to PA which takes about 3 hours and it was just smooth like butter. Who needs a car payment when these old girls perform so well?

Let me add though that I have upgraded the radio dramatically to help those highway miles tic by a little easier.

In the future I do plan on adding a few more goodies so stay tuned for:
- Feed the Beast
- Fluidampr (just in case - as I do not trust the Chiness replacements)
- Replace front sway bar (the current one cracked! - unbelievable)
- Install a new front air spoiler / chin spoiler
- ATT (when fundage allows)

At 185K she still runs like a kitten... Thanks to some upgrades :)

That is wonderful to hear, Adrian.

I'd add front and rear sways to your list. The burb really handles a lot better when you put some decent sway bars on.

-Rob :)

I just wanted to start a warm and fuzzy thread for the 6.5s :)

I started a new job which requires a lot of travel on the road car/airplane. So far mostly car time and the Suburban has done a great job!

Just this morning I drove up to PA which takes about 3 hours and it was just smooth like butter. Who needs a car payment when these old girls perform so well?

Let me add though that I have upgraded the radio dramatically to help those highway miles tic by a little easier.

In the future I do plan on adding a few more goodies so stay tuned for:
- Feed the Beast
- Fluidampr (just in case - as I do not trust the Chiness replacements)
- Replace front sway bar (the current one cracked! - unbelievable)
- Install a new front air spoiler / chin spoiler
- ATT (when fundage allows)

At 185K she still runs like a kitten... Thanks to some upgrades :)

Good idea on the Harmonic balancer. Also check that your injectors are balanced well! (Please take the advice of a man with a 2 piece crankshaft!)

When you are ready for a turbo, we will be too!

Great news!

Well I just got my china HB in (don't trust it either) but idle is very smooth now it doesn't even make ripples in my iced coffee, it did before.

My truck is running really tight too. Much better all around than the near new E-350 gasser I've been renting. Much better MPG's too with 1500 extra pounds to boot.

My truck has been running exceptionally well lately. Engine is doing great, drivetrain is great and almost coming up on 2 years of ownership now. Though, for a truck with only 78K on the clock, I would expect nothing less :D

06-03-10_1343.jpg

06-03-10_1344.jpg

1/2ton truck LOADED! 28 Foot Draper header for a 9635 Massey Swather on an OLD JD grain drill trailer ~6-7K # in tow ? tounge weight, not quite on the bump stops. :eek:

06-01-10_1203.jpg

Pulling out a stuck irrigation pivot. I put the truck in 4 low and 1st gear while tied on and walked to the control panel to let it run foward. Pulled it out at idle up hill. :D

05-20-10_1349.jpg

Clean and lookin good! :thumbsup:

Gets 18.5-19 mpg highway, 16.5 mpg pulling out irrigation or towing a header 120 miles @ 55 MPH in 3rd gear, thank god for the DMAX Fan!

Old GM rigs are pretty darned good.

Been running GM stuff now for quite a few years.

Used to do only Fords but during the early to mid 80's I could not stomach the stuff they built.
Went off and bought GMs for a long time.

Bought a stroke in 97 OMG what a mess that was. Got a Lemon and just had fits with it.

Kept the stroke for 3 years and off'd it and went back to GM stuff.

Glad to hear everyone is happy.

Missy

1/2ton truck LOADED! 28 Foot Draper header for a 9635 Massey Swather on an OLD JD grain drill trailer ~6-7K # in tow ? tounge weight, not quite on the bump stops. :eek:

Clean and lookin good! :thumbsup:

Gets 18.5-19 mpg highway, 16.5 mpg pulling out irrigation or towing a header 120 miles @ 55 MPH in 3rd gear, thank god for the DMAX Fan!

Hey Tanman I don't know what suspension mods you have, I really love this one www.activesuspension.com I can carry the bed fully loaded with sod and it sits dead level, same as when I hook up to my g/n trailer, if you have factory tire & rim ratings you'll want to upsize those as the ones that came from factory for the 1/2T are only rated for 1870#, I went to load range E tires and 3300# rated rims

For stability and weight control even on stock setup this is one of those KISS ideas that work well, when I bought mine years ago they were around $250,

Thing I like about them is that they are passive in that you don't feel them in there until you put the weight on them, you ride on normal suspension until adding load, you get better sway control at all times, and no air bags to inflate/deflate.

Hey Tanman I don't know what suspension mods you have, I really love this one www.activesuspension.com I can carry the bed fully loaded with sod and it sits dead level, same as when I hook up to my g/n trailer, if you have factory tire & rim ratings you'll want to upsize those as the ones that came from factory for the 1/2T are only rated for 1870#, I went to load range E tires and 3300# rated rims

For stability and weight control even on stock setup this is one of those KISS ideas that work well, when I bought mine years ago they were around $250,

Thing I like about them is that they are passive in that you don't feel them in there until you put the weight on them, you ride on normal suspension until adding load, you get better sway control at all times, and no air bags to inflate/deflate.

I have a set of 3/4 ton springs off of an 02 sitting around I need to install, I'm stock for now. I am pulling the 245/75 E rated tires from Ol'Blue to run for now and put used E rated 285's on it. I have been thinking of getting stronger rims but I hope to get Ol'Blue running before I need those.

My cousin has Firestone Air Bags on his 03 3/4 ton w/ 6.0L and they work great and take TONS of abuse

I don't like airbags myself as they only help in up & down loading, and ride rough as a cob when inflated, or you deflate some to try to restore the ride which is one of the plus's for the GM IFS (best ride) and then need to be re-inflated when you wanna haul heavy.

The axle-wrap & stability issue are not improved by bags only, back in the day when I was a "young-in hot-rodder" I was all about the air bags, since I saw these on TV I bought a set and would not go back to air bags for the world.

Oh if you plan on using bags for "tons of abuse" often on your 14 bolt SF rear, swap the springs AND the axle from that 2500 over to your 1500, the SF will handle it occasionally, but I would not do it often, FF from the 2500 is what you need for hauling heavy often.

I don't like airbags myself as they only help in up & down loading, and ride rough as a cob when inflated, or you deflate some to try to restore the ride which is one of the plus's for the GM IFS (best ride) and then need to be re-inflated when you wanna haul heavy.

The axle-wrap & stability issue are not improved by bags only, back in the day when I was a "young-in hot-rodder" I was all about the air bags, since I saw these on TV I bought a set and would not go back to air bags for the world.

Oh if you plan on using bags for "tons of abuse" often on your 14 bolt SF rear, swap the springs AND the axle from that 2500 over to your 1500, the SF will handle it occasionally, but I would not do it often, FF from the 2500 is what you need for hauling heavy often.

I don't plan on hauling heavy with my 1/2 ton Just the occasional stock trailer after I get my 1 ton up and running.

My 1/2 ton is a going to be my project truck, I have always wanted to do a SAS on a 6.5.

Back