• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

another "No start"

matuva

Tropical 6.5er
Reaction score
New Caledonia. An island in south west pacific, cl
A fresh rebuilt engine is turning us mad :

new crank, new main & rod bearings, new piston rings... new strong fast spinning starter and good lift pump

Put piston # 1 on top dead center, align the marks on crank sprocket and camshat sprocket, rotate 180° and align IP, new CPS, good glow plugs...

We bleed the engine, plenty of fuel arrive at the cylinders...

Glow, crank, lot of black smoke (not white, black), but no start sometimes some hiccups like if she was going to fire, but then, nothing... :mad2:

before we light a match in this thing, anybody has a suggestion ?

could be flooded with the black smoke while cranking. I had that on my 94 when I first got it. I finally disabled the glows and had my wife crank it while I very lightly misted it with ether. when it finally started huge cloud of black smoke.

Glad to hear you got her going. Nothing like all that anticipation after all that work and nothing. Makes you want to beat your head against the wall.

Grammer

Louis you're a sight for sore eyes. Great to see you around old pal
Hey Mike!.....It's good to be seen....I've missed all you guys (and Missy)
She starts.

I was too suspecting a timing issue, but the engine was properly timed... Swap to a fresh reman IP... and bingo! :D
Glad you got it running Al, Was the IP Bad when you did the rebuild? Truck came in running?

tons of black smoke means you are getting fuel? is the engine turning over fast enough? I have had issues before where a new starter fixed everything. how old is the starter and batteries? have you tried jumping the glow plug terminals for a longer light?

if you are getting fuel but not starting it will be one of those 3 issues as long as " all the dots are lining up" on the gears.

Back