• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Another newbie

Chopchop82

Reaction score
How's it going? Ok so rigs. I have a 86 3/4 ton suburban J code, no egr. I also have 3 5.7l k1500's, ones my daily but hasn't been running so my plow truck is currently my daily one for parts. and a minivan (for the wife). I love cars and trucks in general and have worked on them for years. I would like to do a diesel swap for a Cummins or a LMM on my suburban at some point but I have 6 kids and time is money at this point. Anyway, hope anyone that took the second to read this is having a great day and if I can be of any help, let me know. Thanks!

Welcome.
Is the 6.2 just way old? Want more power do thats why the cummins/ dmax thought?

They are both great engines, but I find most folks looking hard at conversions just need an extra 100 hp/150-200 tourqe often. A proper built 6.2/6.5 turbo can do it way cheaper than say a dmax- especially when you look at long term costs like replacement of those 80 kazillion psi injectors...

I admit to having a really hard time not putting one of the two in my hummer. if I was still into go fast stuff still, then a dmax would already have been in there...
Well, that and the fact that a butterfly could carry my wallet around! Haha.

Hahaha, the butterflies I tell ya! No, the reason is that it's a heavy truck and it's a bit of a dog compared to say my daily k1500 with a old 5.7 with 240k on it. The 6.2 is actually low mileage, only 80k original on the entire truck. It was beautiful when I first got it but its having its issues. I feel like a tank this size should be able to get out of it's own way is all. I mean, mpg and spg are there, plenty of miles and smiles but boy she's a slowpoke trying to get around in traffic.

I have a buddy that has a 91? Dually with a 6.5 turbo and I realize I could upgrade that way too but for a turbo kit its entirely too expensive just to add say 40hp. If I was going to spend 3k on a banks sidewinder kit I might as well see what i can get that will drop in with say 140 more hp and torque for 4500. . . Just my thoughts is all

Ok, just realized we are talking on you other thread. Factory turbo or expensive banks kit is not the answer.

Way better turbo options for less. Lets solve the not moving problem first. If it is a
Rear end l, transfer case, brake problem- you might have more power than you know- haha.

Food for thought until then-
A good stall converter and ATT turbo will make a big improvement and save you more fuel towing.
maybe the hx35/40 hybrid or hx40wii is more your needs. Getting proper exhaust pipe and better incoming air helps after the turbo-
Depending where you live, there may be someone with a proper set up 6.2/6.5 to show you what they are actually capable of.

6.2 to stock turbo 6.5 is an ok improvement. Not as big as 6.5 turbo to a 6.5 proper sized turbo.
Gm turbo (banks is tiny bit bigger, not much) is what all the honda guys buy for the little 2 liter engines.
A stock hx35 is still too small, and that is built for a stock,
Lower rpm 5.9 liter- so wanting higher rpm and another 1/3- 1/2 liter yeah. Think how huge the duramax turbos are in comparison- that is a 6.6....

Doubling your hp takes a rebuilt engine. But 100 hp doesnt.

If you do end up swapping- please sell the 6.2 here- folks need engines!

Heck, maybe a new to you dmax pickup- I might need a 6.2 suburban...

Welcome to the forum

There’s really good people here and very knowledgeable

Back