• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

ANOTHER NEW MEMBER

Yeah residential contractor. You?
Retired from the Montana Defartment of Transportation. Put in three years on road maintenance, patching, sanding, snow plowing, run back hoe and loaders a lot, mostly drove truck. Went to being a mechanic after a position opened in the shop, Mostly welding and doing PMs on the larger equipment, some on the smaller stuff. Did that for 28 years. Now retired, sort of. LOL
Fixing things is what interests Me, anything, from wood to metals.

It did come with a K&N filter, I replaced that with a paper filter, when that gets dirty, I will have the K&N cleaned and oiled and ready to sip back into there.

If the filter is the flat style, start looking around for a conversion to the K47 style setup which will take a cylinder style filter. Sometimes they are on the auction sites and it is possible to find it on the bone-yard site. Hint: the gasser and diesel shared the K47 code, but they are not the same part.

If the air box is the K47 and using a cone style filter, look for a radial crease about in the middle of the filter (half way between the end caps). If it does have a crease, that filter is adding to the intake restriction and the truck needs a cylinder style filter.

I was once a fan of oiled filters, but went back to paper as the economics just were not there. Especially with the maintenance factor of an oiled filter. Paper filters are simple swaps. Oiled filters are pretty much a day's worth of down time and messing with to get just the right amount of oil (and not to much) saturated throughout the pleats. Just say-in.

And, X-2 about removing the snorkel.

If the filter is the flat style, start looking around for a conversion to the K47 style setup which will take a cylinder style filter. Sometimes they are on the auction sites and it is possible to find it on the bone-yard site. Hint: the gasser and diesel shared the K47 code, but they are not the same part.

If the air box is the K47 and using a cone style filter, look for a radial crease about in the middle of the filter (half way between the end caps). If it does have a crease, that filter is adding to the intake restriction and the truck needs a cylinder style filter.

I was once a fan of oiled filters, but went back to paper as the economics just were not there. Especially with the maintenance factor of an oiled filter. Paper filters are simple swaps. Oiled filters are pretty much a day's worth of down time and messing with to get just the right amount of oil (and not to much) saturated throughout the pleats. Just say-in.

And, X-2 about removing the snorkel.
I`m in luck, it does have the cylindrical shaped filter.
After I pulled out the K&N filter, looking through it, barely any light emitting to the inside. i thought, this looks mighty restrictive, then installed the paper filter.
I`ll keep the K&N, but now that You have confirmed about the messing with the warshing and oiling, guess I will stay with the paper filters. keep the K&N until I get tired of it being in the way and taking up valuable garage space, for a couple of years, then probably chuck it. LOL
good to know about the differences between the gasser and the diesel housings too.

2000 won't have the snorkel restriction in the fender
That too is good to know.
i`m learning all kinds of new infurmashun about these trucks.
I know I have seen these engines listed as late as 2002, By the 2000 year model, they must have had most of the bugs worked out of them, i think.

Just cleaned the old beast up a little. The wheels looked terrible with all the brake dust and grime, scrubbed the wheels, then, looking at the truck, well, why not. fresh bucket of water and detergent and fresh bucket of rinse water and went to work.
It is still in the garage, dont know what it`ll look like in the sun, see what it looks like after I move it out, next time it needs moving. LOL

K&N's plug faster than paper while letting more dirt through. Toss it. Clean your MAF as some later years had one and K&N likes to oil them up. Aftermarket intakes are hot air intakes except a select few as you noted. And, yes, not knowing the year... 2000 doesn't have the GM horrible intake design in the fender.

I found different designs of k&n performed different, and the housing it is in effects filters also. But yeah k47- I would use AC Delco 1st and Baldwin 2nd. But that was as of 10 years ago. No clue on the new stuff.

K&N's plug faster than paper while letting more dirt through. Toss it. Clean your MAF as some later years had one and K&N likes to oil them up. Aftermarket intakes are hot air intakes except a select few as you noted. And, yes, not knowing the year... 2000 doesn't have the GM horrible intake design in the fender.
Out it goes and into the trash. LOL
Fortunately this unit has no MAF sensor. :)
I found different designs of k&n performed different, and the housing it is in effects filters also. But yeah k47- I would use AC Delco 1st and Baldwin 2nd. But that was as of 10 years ago. No clue on the new stuff.
I too like to try to use original equipment components when possible. Unfortunately this was on a Saturday afternoon so NAPA WIX it was. LOL

I am not an oem loyal guy. But AC Delco happens to make the best air filtering media according to 3rd party testing. (Same reason baldwin is 2nd choice) There are several things Ac Delco makes the best ones of for the 6.5. My other rigs have 6.0 gassers, and I avoid kost of the AC Delco stuff for them.

I believe someone on this forum mentioned a different brand aftermarket filter that is reuseable, non oiled, and better filtering than the k&n. Not sure how it ranked against Delco.

Back