• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

ANOTHER NEW MEMBER

MrMarty51

Reaction score
Just joined up.
I was searching for a pic of the disassembled 6.5 diesel starter. I found not only a disassembled series of pics, but all the info to properly put it back together again.
Happy that I found this site.
And here, I thought Rock Auto was for just parts. LOL
Here is a pic. of My 2000 Chevrolet K3500 with the 6.5, auto transmission and hooked to the camper that I just finished doing a frame up rebuild on.
IMG_3264.jpg

Welcome.
I like the front bumper. Who made it?
Got any pictures from the front?
No pics from the front, I will get a couple when I get the starter back together and get the truck out of the garage.
It might be that the image below would suffice. LOL

I purchased this truck about a year ago, The young man that I purchased the truck from had built the bumper.
it is made of exhaust pipe and bumper itself is of 3/16ths inch steel.
He has a friend that owns a muffler shop, re all the nice bends came from, and another friend that has a metal break, how He bent the steel for the bumper portion.
He, and his family, have had the GM trucks with the 6.2 and then the 6.5 diesels for many years. he is very familiar with what it takes to make them run good.
I had been searching for a long box, crew cab 6.5 diesel for a couple of years, even prayed about it. this one came available on Craigslist and I immediately knew it was the right truck, I think that was a God thing. After contacting im, He even said that He would hold it for Me until I got an answer from the bank about the money. He had listed it just a couple of hours earlier and could have easily told Me, first come first served.
I used My 93 K1500 to pull the trailer to lewistown, I believe about 230 miles from My town of Miles City, Mt. After the purchase, the trucks were switched around and the 93 with the 350 gas was loaded and the diesel pulled it back home.
I must say, the K3500 diesel pulled the loaded trailer easier than the K1500 pulled the empty trailer. LOL
The K3500 came with the pillar gauges, trans temp, pyrometer and boost pressure. It also has the remote kit and heat sink on the PMD module and air bags on the rear axle.
To date, I have done a complete tune up, new injectors and glow plugs, new timing chain/sprocket set.
The next thing I want to do is to install a new oil pump. Oil pressure runs just over 40 at operating temp, hot and on the road, but then drops to about 25 at idle.
The truck has 240,000 miles on it. The 93 K1500 that I sold, it had 270,000 miles on it and had received the same treatments that I`m doing to this one, oil pressure on it went from 15 at idle and 25 hot on the road to 35 hot idle and 45 hot on the road after the new oil pump.
Must do what is necessary to keep them running sweet and smooth.

IMG_2668.jpg

I drive a 2000 k3500 6.5 4 door long bed myself. I love it. My father in law says it looks like a white school bus going down the road.

Welcome!
Lots of good info on here on how to get some real towing power out of a 6.5. *cough* Swap turbos to something bigger *cough cough*

Myself I would run a 15w-50 engine oil, but, as long as the hot idle is over 10PSI there is no action required. The real cause for low oil pressure @Will L. is worn cam bearings if anything. Diesels tend to run lower oil pressure @ hot idle than the solid 40 PSI you see on the gas engines.

I drive a 2000 k3500 6.5 4 door long bed myself. I love it. My father in law says it looks like a white school bus going down the road.
LOL, now that is funny. I love the way this long unit rides.

Welcome MrMarty51, nice truck and camper.

Also you live in one of the most beautiful states, I AM JEALOUS.
No mountains over here, just hills and plains, but still, te Yellowstone river is one bblock away. Makes it mighty nice to hitch onto the boat trailer, down the street, over the river bank and into the river. LOL

Welcome!
Lots of good info on here on how to get some real towing power out of a 6.5. *cough* Swap turbos to something bigger *cough cough*

Myself I would run a 15w-50 engine oil, but, as long as the hot idle is over 10PSI there is no action required. The real cause for low oil pressure @Will L. is worn cam bearings if anything. Diesels tend to run lower oil pressure @ hot idle than the solid 40 PSI you see on the gas engines.
Yes there is a LOT of good info on the 6.2 and 6.5 diesels in here. Is what brought Me here was the thread on rebuilding the starter for the 6.5. that is a mighty fine article.
YUP, Shell Rotella 15-40 is what I`m running. Several thousand miles since last oil change and still right on the full mark.
That is nice to know about the OP, Now, I thinking I`ll just leave it alone. it aint broke. LOL
I was pulling a trailer with a Lincoln loaded on it, the sons GFs car. That was when the boost system set the P0236 code. sometimes no boost, other times over 10 pounds, the ET came right down when it would run ten and power, oh man, it was like driving super truck. LOL, not that it is that bad anyway but there sure was a noticeable difference.
Pulling the camper, it has small tires so was not running much over 60, the truck did not seem to like towing at those speeds as much as it was when running 70 and 75 pulling that other trailer.
I have the manual waste gate controller set so it doesn`t go above eight pounds. I think I`ll give it the extra turn on the screw so it will go to, or slightly above the ten pounds. See how it does at that setting.

The factory Asthma Attack turbo is good for 14 LBS before it starts to generate more boost only by heating the air. The Turbo master tends to boost creep at higher elevations. I had to set mine to 12 LBS at lower elevations. The Drive pressure is extreme to the point you feel it holding the engine back above 2200 RPM. Did you install a better exhaust and remove the intake choke point from the fender? (You can't even get a Bic lighter through the fender snorkel.)

ECT of 210 is the redline to stay at or under and is worth mentioning if you are towing.

The factory Asthma Attack turbo is good for 14 LBS before it starts to generate more boost only by heating the air. The Turbo master tends to boost creep at higher elevations. I had to set mine to 12 LBS at lower elevations. The Drive pressure is extreme to the point you feel it holding the engine back above 2200 RPM. Did you install a better exhaust and remove the intake choke point from the fender? (You can't even get a Bic lighter through the fender snorkel.)

ECT of 210 is the redline to stay at or under and is worth mentioning if you are towing.

Intake choke point is still there. I have been eyeballing a few of the open systems. My only concern with those is the induction of warm air entering the engine, due to the heat generated under the hood. I could unclip the cover and see how it`d do just pulling through the filter. It did come with a K&N filter, I replaced that with a paper filter, when that gets dirty, I will have the K&N cleaned and oiled and ready to sip back into there.
The guy I got the truck from did upgrade the exhaust system. It is 3-1/2" all the way through, four inch tip with no cat and no muffler. It sounds deep and throaty.
When pulling the camper, Quite a bit of wind resistance, the temp gauge did hit 210 several times, always backed down as soon as the long pull was over.
Exhaust temps never went past 9500, that was pulling some mighty steep inclines.
When I first got the truck, it was not unusual to hit right on 1200 degrees when pulling and climbing, temps would go into the 220s.
I installed two new thermostats, pulled the oil cooler as far out as I could, removed the upper shroud half, used solvent in an old H2O fire extinguisher and sprayed down the oil, from a previous leaking oil cooler hose, washed that out then hit it with copious amounts of detergent and water. Blew it all out with compressed air.
The guy I bought it from is in a family of farmers, the radiator was full of chaff, dirt, bees and anything else associated with the road.
Since the washing out, the temp will get to 220 but never above. My other plan is to install a high flow coolant pump.

I think along with the things I accomplished in the above post helped keep down coolant temps and also some on the exhaust temps. I think the new injectors helped considerable on the EGTs.
One other thing, with 240,000+ miles on this engine, I am being cautious about getting over the 10 pounds of boost. do not want to rupture a head gasket. LOL

if yours is a 2000 then it already has the best WP set up

Thank you AK diesel driver.
I do get over to Alaska from time to time. My son, DIL and three grand childrens lives over there, outside of Wasilla a few miles. I love that place. LOL Last trip over lasted only two months, one before was for three, not much more and I might try to claim residence. LOL

Okay, guess I will stay with that pump. I do know that the pump had been changed shortly before I purchased this unit.

That's pretty close to where I live. Stop by next time.

I most certainly will. I`ll make contact before I head that direction.
Warning, I dont drink so no adult beverages to celebrate with, You can though. LOL
I used to say, Whiskey for Me and My friends. Later it turned into, I drink whiskey and I have NO friends. LOL

Back