• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Another BD Quick Spool Valve Install with A/C

I purchased a set of Hummer headers for another project and after looking at the passenger side header if you flipped it upside down it would point straight forward. Looks like it might not be to hard to mount a t3 flange to it with an elbow... would be similar to the banks iron manifold. Plus since it is steel one could cut and weld to help position the turbo to clear everything. The tricky part is getting the crossover pipe to tie in. A front crossover might work... waiting to see how Leroy skins that cat with his project.

Just check his banks manifold thread, he has a rough mock up of the front cross over with a van manifold. Looks pretty sweet

Update:
Final answer to the hot under hood air intake on this setup:
I went back to the flat panel air filter assembly. I then cut the fender side of the air box at an angle by cutting off more at the rear. Tossed the plastic duct between the fender and air box. Doing this allowed me to wedge the air filter in place around the AC suction hose and fender with the air inlet open to the fender. Standard factory intake hose used.

I cut too much off the inlet. I had the part to epoxy back on - but misplaced it. Some AC window foam would seal it. Cutting another one more carefully after proof of concept would also work.

100_4502.jpg

100_4496.jpg

Time to cpr this thread to full zombie mode! Haha

Quick Spool Valve- aka turbine diverter...
It has been many a moon since I’ve seen new ones out there. Is there any cko options for the t3 or t4?

The BD Diesel one is quite nice, and priced accordingly. The housing pressure can is huge. I just can’t see fitting it in the hummer. A used ATT popping up every now and then keeps me interested- but flatout would require that magic butterfly to be useable off road.

Anyone know of any small housing ones like the ones the boys in the UK are running that aren’t chrome plated to be cool and gold dipped in the price column?

Man I wish I had access to a machine shop still...

Yes exactly. I was looking at that one yesterday, see how small the can is?
Maybe I am being way cheap about this, but I can’t help but think one of the cko turbo companies would be selling these for 150ish. If they can sell a fakey hx turbo for that, how do they not sell these for the same price?

Yes exactly. I was looking at that one yesterday, see how small the can is?
Maybe I am being way cheap about this, but I can’t help but think one of the cko turbo companies would be selling these for 150ish. If they can sell a fakey hx turbo for that, how do they not sell these for the same price?
Well if I remember right Cummins is HQ'ed in China now and so is their Holset line too so we have to ask how much of a knock off is the cheap HX turbos really are? The HX CKO CARA's interchange w/Holset is it just in name only? Consider, the failure rates of the CKO's is very low too so any quick boost valve they release should be good to go and hold up well too.

Anyway, real "used" Holsets can be had on the bay in many different compressor sizes and cm2 sizes to allow for quick spool like an "BIG AIR" HX55 w/11cm2 turbine, HX40w w/14 cm2 turbine there are many different sizes listed around the globe that are just not common here in the USA but the CARA rebuild parts & wheels are.

EXAMPLE;

The HX 40 series that is comparable to the Mitsubishi CKO ATT will always boost sooner however there are more than a hand full of turbines used for the Mitsubishi and the ATT size seemed to be a mystery to the end user.

A HX35/40 hybrid w/14 cm2 maybe the one for your application.

The HX 40 series that is comparable to the Mitsubishi CKO ATT will always boost sooner however there are more than a hand full of turbines used for the Mitsubishi and the ATT size seemed to be a mystery to the end user.

A HX35/40 hybrid w/14 cm2 maybe the one for your application.
Yes, that is the most likely one I will use. I know being centermount I can spin a full 40 easier than a side mounted in the 6.5 so it would be in the running also but as a second choice to the 35/40. S300/S400 is another option, but more$ and not anymore chooch factor so it is farthest down the list.
The ATT if I could qsv, but would need to rig override qsv when low boost hiway use. Same thing for low rpm wastegate, but I figure the cummins fuel solenoid 3 wire unit is a simple item for that.

The biggest appeal to the ATT has been freeway use and price, but by time I factor in a qsv…
Seems it always come back to $...

If my memory serves me right the ATT was designed on the Mitsubishi TDO7-22 however turbine size ATT a mystery turbine acttually a few different ones and turbine sizes were available in 18 cm2 & up for that series turbocharger.
Here is a list that is incomplete keep I mind the number after TDO7 is the turbine size or range of sizes.
If your considering highway use as the main use then an 18 cm2 turbine would work nice with a "full sized" HX40 keep in mind mine started to spool at 1.2k on my 6.5td and NATE still runs one.

Back