• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Another 506 build

Twisted Steel Performance

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
Reaction score
@DieselAmateur

Next 506 build ready for assembly.

This customer wants a all out maximum strength and power build.
Short list of mods.......

Block has been line bored & honed, splayed main caps, Halo Girdle, fresh cylinder hone, fire ringed deck, block decked, short filled block, total seal ring set, 18:1, race spec rotating assembly balancing, head porting, and a full array of our coatings, and a custom cam grind to name a few.

001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG
004.JPG

Looks fantastic Chris!

The engine is going in a 1993 K3500 1 ton dump truck. Will see lots of work hauling construction materials and equipment. Still working on getting a built DB2 to mate with the engine. This engine is hopefully going to get the custom front crossover using the Banks Sidewinder manifold and hummer/ van manifold on the passenger side. Turbo will be a genuine Holset HX35/40 with 14cm housing, 6 blade compressor wheel and 10 blade turbine wheel. I'll get a build thread going for this engine soon 🤘

@Big T It's a very clean low mileage Optimizer takeout. I never bothered to look up the date code, any chance you could decipher it Chris?

I found it on marketplace 2 years ago just outside of Cleveland. Someone had bought it as a takeout and installed leaky head studs so they sold the engine. I bought it from the second owner who was moving south and moving on from his project of restoring a K3500 pickup. I got really lucky getting it for only $1200 in such good condition. It's also getting P400 heads. I wanted to put P400 rods and pistons in as well but couldn't swing the additional 3k, needed it elsewhere for the build.

Also to clarify my first post the van manifold is used on the driver side for building the front crossover, the banks mannie goes on the passenger side.

@EWC this is the manifold for a van/ hummer, stock form used on the passenger side

When bolted to the driver side it faces forward. The outlet is flanged like the outlet of a turbo; a flat faced flare is needed with a v-band connection. Given how it points right at the back of the power steering pump, a short 90 is needed. Seeing as how it would be a bit tricky to flare a short 90 I had the flanged face of the manifold machined down flat so a standard half of a v-band would mate to the manifold and the 90 elbow is welded to the v-band piece.

Others have done this setup by cutting off the flange welding a v-band connector, or do what a fellow did on here and use the driver's side hummer manifold but he cut and re- welded the flange to get more clearance behind the power steering pump.

Given how tricky and temperamental it can be to weld cast I'm hoping to do the mod/ upgrade without having to cut/ weld the manifold at all. Planning on using 2" pipe, but may have to be 1 3/4" at the elbow to clear everything before then going to 2"

I have both of the manifolds off the vans brand new . I was thing about cutting off the 90 on the one side , shorten the pass side and welding the 90 onto it . Maybe machine a groove onto the end so a clamp could be used . Just another project .

In the thread I linked to the OP ultimately used the manifold with the 90 and just cut the 90 and re- positioned it to point downwards and welded it back. I've got to dry fit things on the blown engine in the dump truck to see if my plan will actually work or if I'll have to get creative.

Get a good welding/cut shop to plaz cut You two 3/8ths thick plates like what they use for headers. There are header kits available with the mandrel bend pipe elbows and etc. might be able to come up with a mighty fine arrangement from something like that.
Be a lot easier than trying to weld cast, I would think. 🤷‍♂️

Back