• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Alternator upgrade ?

CS144 is slightly easier because it uses the same plug as the CS-130 does. Otherwise it's basically teh same swap. They both require an upgrade to the charge wire and they both use the same mounting pattern(if you go wit hthe 96+ GM truck style).

SOrry to say but I'm in the process of doing this sway and those plugs are not the same. The plug and socket for the CS130 is oval shaped and the CS144 I just purchased is rectangular, This verified by the pico wiring pigtail I had to purchase seperately.

SOrry to say but I'm in the process of doing this sway and those plugs are not the same. The plug and socket for the CS130 is oval shaped and the CS144 I just purchased is rectangular, This verified by the pico wiring pigtail I had to purchase seperately.
Because you have a cs130D, it's a completely different alternator.

I did the CS-144 upgrade on my old truck. It made a night to day difference.

So, this is the existing wire that feeds the plug on the CS130(D) (I noticed even the GMC SM calls it a CS130 which likely led to my assumption that's what it was) and from some confusion in reading across several forums and sites it's my only guess that this wire that measure Key On voltage of 1.5 - 1.7V;

23050d1504881381-motor-timing-180-out-p1060859.jpg

...would feed the "L" circuit on the CS144 pigtail, nicht var?;
23053d1504913591-motor-timing-180-out-p1060863.jpg

Itturns out that it IS the brown gauge wire had to get that 50 Ohm 1 Watt resistor for the "L" circuit, I just purchased 5 from Mouser.com, and after I complete this project, I'd be glad to share.

Edit. Just received a FedEx shipment of something I won't share, but if you can get it in your area Finlandia Cranberry. 8th row barley and mild delicious taste.

I upgraded my 1999 Tahoe and just connected the center wire in the new CS144 plug to the existing wire for the CS130D. It has been working for several months. Charges great. Several electrical problems I was having went away with the addition and a new battery. The old battery did not test bad but I was taking no chances. I have replaced one of the AC selector motors, speed control, fuel pump, and was having problems with relay that prevents shifting from park without depressing the brake. No problems now. I reinstalled the old speed control and now it works. Best change I have ever made. I wish I would have done it while the truck was new. The CS130D is pure junk in my opinion. I replaced 4 of them in less than 100,000 miles.

@Lee1936 welcome to the forum. Iirc a rear bracket helps allot on going to the big boy alt. I agree to liking the 144 over the 130. Source is important also.

Double check voltage, as you can command constant overcharge and cook the new battery in a year. 14.4 via multi meter at the battery is a happy place to be with engine running. Dash gauges are known inaccurate so you might be good, but the pic looks a tad high to me.

@Lee1936 welcome to the forum. Iirc a rear bracket helps allot on going to the big boy alt. I agree to liking the 144 over the 130. Source is important also.

Double check voltage, as you can command constant overcharge and cook the new battery in a year. 14.4 via multi meter at the battery is a happy place to be with engine running. Dash gauges are known inaccurate so you might be good, but the pic looks a tad high to me.

Yeah I have worried about how to reduce it a little. I get about 14.7 with cold alternator. Turn on lights and blower and get 14.4 to 14.6. I do know that when it runs awhile with normal driving lights on it comes to about 14.2. I never had a failure on the cs130D other than when they were driven 50 miles or so the charging would get down to about 13.0. Cold would still charge 13.8. One of them actually started charging about 10.0 after 200 miles. Cold the next day 13.2. WAPITA

Since you have already installed this one, I would chase it and try to solve issue. Make sure no draws/ are present that shouldnt be there.

If you hadn’t already bought the alternator, I would suggest calling powermaster. They have engineers you can talk to that find your load and help pick the specific alternator for your needs. Will build one specific if not a stock item.

Back