• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Alternator for 96 6.5 diesel

Brooklyn Tow

9 11 Never Forget
Reaction score
Hey everyone...It's been a little while hope everyone is well

Anyone have a pic of there Alt....with the wiring.

Does our alt have a ground on it?........I don't think so.....But if so where is it/

Just a quick explanation of the at wiring please

Pics would be great.

Thanks,
Louis

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Louis, how are you?

The alt is grounded through the frame AFAIK. I don't have any diagrams. What are you looking for?

So is there a wire that runs to the frame?....Connected to the case?

Really need a pic.

Not on my 95 Louis, I had it off recently to tighten the Bat. terminal. There is just that wire and the plug that goes into the alt.

Just in case your thinking about adding one...
When we would build trucks that had high draw electrical systems, It helped to run a ground wire from the alternator housing directly to the battery. If multiple alts went in then we ran jumpers from one to the next. There is nothing it can hurt to add one other than a cut on you knuckle from a slipped wrench.

Finally got enough people UN-buried from the snow to have time to say hi, eh? :hihi:

The part of the alternator that touches the frame/bracket (which touches the engine) is the ground.

No separate grounding or cables running to/from the alternator other than from positive battery and the connector (trigger and tach).

Back