• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Allison deep pan

Rob is correct, the filter lock is not needed when using the factory deep pan and the factory deep filter. Most aftermarket pans do not fit the filter properly so they can come out so you either fix the pan or install a filter lock to keep it from happening.

i paid around 59 bucks for the pan and like 12 for the filter from the local alli dealer. cheap upgrade imo. the nice alluminum pans are good but you don't even see them.

been running my deep pan for 4 years. Paid arounf $100 for everything to do the jo. IIRC it is an extra couple quarts. I do think I see slightly lower trans temps after install.

I was thinking about going with the deep pan, but if you say it will take longer to warm up I don't need that with the cold temps here in upstate NY.

The factory deep pan is the best bang for the buck if you want to increase fluid capacity. Don't expect it to drop your temps however... It increases the fluid capacity which just means that the fluid will take longer to reach operating temp. I've got some pics and will see if they're on this computer.

I was thinking about going with the deep pan, but if you say it will take longer to warm up I don't need that with the cold temps here in upstate NY.

It definitely takes longer to warm up, especially on cooler days here... I could only imagine how long it would take when temps are in the single to minus digits.

When temps are in the mid-high 90's it doesn't get up to 180-200* as quickly as it used to on my drive home, but it will still reach those temps.

I've got a couple of pics in my photo album.

Keep in mind no news paper or dam dog around, news paper got stuck all over bottom of valve body dog hair just about screwed things up sticks well to trans fluidCIMG0088.jpgone last pic finished product

It would never warm up.

I wouldn't not get the deep pan because of a few months of winter, vs the benefits of using it during the many warmer months, especially if you tow. You are adding 2-3 qts to a 12-13 qt system, which may slow warmup slightly. IMO, the initial time to warm, if unloaded, is mostly affected by the time for the engine coolant to warm, as the trans line runs through the radiator.
I have the Mag-Hytec, and my truck typically takes about 4-5 miles highway driving in WI winter for the coolant temp to increase enough to help warm trans fluid and allow the TC to lockup.
The winter front is a must to reduce winter cold air through the radiator and trans cooler.
I was a little worried that installing the Mike L. trans cooler could be a problem with cold winters, but I recently bought his cooler, (used), and will rely on the winter front, to minimize overcooling in winter for a few months, and benefit from it when towing 5ver from May to October.

Last edited:
You do not need the filter lock with a factory deep allison pan. They were designed to work perfectly with the allison deep sump internal filter. The deep pans are on every topkick/kodiac without a filter lock. Now some aftermarket deep pans need the filter lock, but not the Allison.

Rob
Do a test next time you sell a deep Allison pan. barely stick the filter in the case and then see how the new deep pan fits. I bet it never touches the filter. It should bind and force the filter in the case. It won't.

i'm skipping the deep pan mod, cuz it takes long enough for the TC to lock up in the winter as is. i'd be 3/4 the way to most of my destinations before the damn thing ever locked up.

I wouldn't not get the deep pan because of a few months of winter, vs the benefits of using it during the many warmer months, especially if you tow. You are adding 2-3 qts to a 12-13 qt system, which may slow warmup slightly. IMO, the initial time to warm, if unloaded, is mostly affected by the time for the engine coolant to warm, as the trans line runs through the radiator.

The Allison "system" holds a lot more than 12-13 quarts.

Back