• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Allison deep pan

12ga diesel

Jack of all, Master of none
Reaction score
Does anyone have any exp. with the factory Allison deep pan for the tranny? Does this work as well as one of the aftermarket ones? I'm looking at the Transgo Jr. kit for my truck and figrued I should look into a deeper pan for it as well if I have the stock one off. Or if there is an aftermarket one that a lot of you are using, I'd love to hear about that as well. Any info about this would be great. Thanks.

The factory deep pan is the best bang for the buck if you want to increase fluid capacity. Don't expect it to drop your temps however... It increases the fluid capacity which just means that the fluid will take longer to reach operating temp. I've got some pics and will see if they're on this computer.

The factory deep pan is the best bang for the buck if you want to increase fluid capacity. Don't expect it to drop your temps however... It increases the fluid capacity which just means that the fluid will take longer to reach operating temp. I've got some pics and will see if they're on this computer.

If you have a pic, I'd like to see it. If it doesn't lower temps though, I think I might just get an aftermarket one with the cooling fins on it.

The pics I have are on my desktop at home in Tampa (I'm in Montreal right now). I'll post some when I get back tomorrow night.

Just FYI: No pan will lower sump temperatures. That is a misconception; you need a larger cooler to see lower temps.

The aftermarket pans do not reduce the temperature any more than the factory deep one does from our testing. The Allison deep is the way to go but make sure you get the proper internal filter to go with it.

Attachments

• CIMG0038.jpg
    CIMG0038.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 14
  • CIMG0039.jpg
    CIMG0039.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 13
  • CIMG0040.jpg
    CIMG0040.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 22
Deep pan is about 53 dollars at an Allision dealer, then you also have to get the deep pan filter too, I think that was $27.

I don't have pictures of my pan though. I have pictures of every other part of the Allisons I have rebuilt but no pan.... idiot.

The Allison dealer here had a package deal. It was basically change to the deep pan and switch to Transynd with no labor charges. So I made the switch and let them do the work.

Here's a few small pics I had from days gone by

allis6.jpg

allis10.jpg

If I remember correctly the deep pan setup uses 2 more quarts that the stock GM setup in the truck. I put one on all my trucks as it's cheap insurance and for the life of me I do not see why GM decided to shorten it for the pickups.

I want to say........$225?? Heck that was 1 1/2 years ago. I need to look it up.

Don't forget the filter lock. I found out the hard way when the tranny guy that I used had no idea about what he was doing. Threw codes for three weeks and then put me into limp mode. I shoud have done my homework but I trusted the guy and paid for it later. $350 in labor and synthetic fluid to find out that my internal filter had fallen out of place. Acted just like a bad NSBU with the "Range shift inhibbeted" message and not shifting into gear.

I want to say........$225?? Heck that was 1 1/2 years ago. I need to look it up.

Not too bad. I might swing past the Allison dealership this week and get what I need. Might have them do if they can get me in.
So I will need the new deep pan, new internal filter, filter lock, and a new spin on while I'm there. If I end up taking it there for them to do, would they throw on the transgo jr kit you think?

The Allison dealer here had a package deal. It was basically change to the deep pan and switch to Transynd with no labor charges. So I made the switch and let them do the work.

i like that idea. i'm getting ready to switch to transynd, i suppose i might as well put a deeper pan on too.

Wow, that's a good deal. I'll have to check with my Alli dealer and see if they will honor that one!

You do not need the filter lock with a factory deep allison pan. They were designed to work perfectly with the allison deep sump internal filter. The deep pans are on every topkick/kodiac without a filter lock. Now some aftermarket deep pans need the filter lock, but not the Allison.

Back