• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

allis chalmers b

dmaxfireman

'Can Do' kindof Guy
Reaction score
just brought this ol girl home the other night... have not run the serial # yet but guy told me it was a 39. if it is somebody added foot brakes and head lights to it. also has factory hydraulics on the pto. so far, needs new 6v battery, i rebuilt the starter, had gear lube in trans instead of the sae 20w that its supposed to have with the hydaulics option. now the bad news..... quite a bit of coolant in the oil. 4 options from bad to worse; freeze plugs in head, head gasket, cyl sleeve orings, cracked block...... so far negative on the freeze plugs and the cyl sleeves from what i can tell. so head gaskets or cracked block. i'm really hoping that its a head gasket. got the pressure tester on and going to leave it over night to look for seepage.

got it for snow plowing the driveway so worst case i will bars leak it for the winter and rebuild in the summer, or maybe i will try to get a head gasket in the next couple days, looks VERY easy under there in terms of swapping.

heres a couple videos of the wife driving it around the yard before i tore it down

[video=youtube_share;YMiTUZJgL0E]http://youtu.be/YMiTUZJgL0E[/video]

[video=youtube_share;4M9cA6JqweQ]http://youtu.be/4M9cA6JqweQ[/video]

Looks to be in nice condition Kyle. I'd try some silver seal in it before bars leak. Not near as much mess to clean out later and has always done just as good a job. Meaning, to my way of thinking, if the silver seal doesn't do the job (couple of tubes worth at most) then it needs a teardown and serious repair.
Good luck.

Looks to be in good shape. It's about the same size as the Farmall Cub I grew up with, which I think was a 49 model. It had a whole 12 HP and top speed of 12 MPH.

Do you know HP and MPH specs on the AC?

Don

ac b had give or take 19.5hp drawbar and 22hp off the pto
1st gear 2.5mph
2nd gear 4mph
3rd gear 7.8mph
governed at 1500 rpm 4cyl 1-2-4-3

After watching the videos again I was beginning to wonder if your AC was bigger than the Cub. Your specs definately show it to be bigger, probably closer to the Farmall A which is the next size up from the Cub. The Cub and A both had the motor offset to the left of center which made them good for cultivating as you could look straight ahead and down to watch the cultivators.

I have a lot of memories using that Cub around the place.

Don

yes this machine is bigger than a cub, i was looking at 3 tractors farmall cub, allis b, and john deere m

i am satisfied with the b thus far. got her running today and put some stop leak in the radiator to get me through the winter and i plan on doing a full overhaul this summer.

Nice looking tractor,i had a 48 AC- B just like it in my younger days,i had a lot of fun with it once i got it going,i tore it all apart and bolted it back together.
That old thing put me on the road to become a mechanic.

heres a video from yesterday. then took her out earlier today and did a little yard grading with the snow plow just to see how well she pushes. could definitely use some front weight for steering and considering filling the rear tubes with some anti freeze unless i find chains cheap. but she pushed very well considering she only weighs about 2000-2200 with me in the seat.

[video=youtube_share;yItb_bRHKc4]http://youtu.be/yItb_bRHKc4[/video]

The old girl sounds and looks good.

I like the old tractors, they are simple to fix most often.

Might want to put some decent skids on the plow before you start pushing snow Kyle.
The old 'B' sounds good though! :thumbsup:

the plow though heavy, i don't feel is heavy enough to need skid shoes. i don't think it is heavy enough to damage the driveway at the slow speeds of the tractor and as far as wear it will only be hitting 2 maybe 3 driveways. it should outlast my stay in the snowy northeast. 14 years 10 months 29 days and counting til i can retire and start a new career some place much warmer than here.

somebody with more plowing experience have any insight?

somebody with more plowing experience have any insight?

:hello:
You will be glad you did if you add skids. A cutting edge might be nice too but I doubt if it's really needed.

I have a 54" blade on my JD318 and I plow a mix of gravel, asphalt and concrete with it and have for 25+ years. If you want me to take a few pics of the blade and skids I can. Here's a couple of pics that might show a bit of what it's like.

JD318 Front.jpg JD318 Rear.jpg

it probably weighs in just about 175-225# (hard to tell because it is so awkward to lift)and it does have a cutting edge on it (tough to see in the video) and yes it does angle though in order to use the anglle i am definitly going to need a little front weight to stop the front tires from scrubbing from side to side with heavy snow

my luck.... motor is toast. block is sleeved hence rebuildable. head is toasted beyond repair i think. trying to decide on what to do with it.....

Back