• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

all right, what the heck plug is this?

trouttrooper

Big Blocks ROCK!!!
Reaction score
With our moving around and successful yard sales I finally broke down and replaced our 32" tube TV with a 32" LCD. I was really getting tired of hauling that friggen 150lb thing everywhere.

I'd like to consider myself knowledgeable in the electronic world, but I've been stumped and I'm getting no help from the owners manuals or the idiots at the stores. I want to connect my laptop to the TV. Picture was no problem, using the VGA plug to get that working. Sound is another issue. I thought the plug on the TV was a standard 3.5mm audio plug like any headphone set etc so I bought a male to male cord and was going to connect the headphone jack on the computer to the TV jack. Apparently not as the hole is too small. Went to Office Depot and the guy said it's probably a 2.5mm port, but they discontinued those awhile back. Being slightly annoyed that my new TV had an old port I went and bought a 2.5 to 3.5 mm adaptor. However, it won't fit either. It goes in the hole just fine, but it is obviously not meant for that plug.

So what kind of cable is suppose to go in this hole??? It says PC/DVI Audio in.

IMG_0650.jpg

Need the TV make and model, Mike.

PC/DVI connections are a little strange; for some reason, there is a ton of possible configuration options, which means lots to go wrong.

Jim

Insignia NS-32L121A13

According to the owners manual it's suppose to have a 3.5mm PC audio input. I'm assuming this is the one since I can't find anything else, but a 3.5mm plug is too big. There's a 3.5mm output for headphones that I tried, but obviously it's the wrong direction for the signal that I want.

well I figured it out. Thanks for everyone's help :D :D :D Apparently I wasn't aggressive enough when trying to push the 3.5mm cable in. It's almost like it has a rubber boot sealer or something on the outside. I got it to work, but wow you sure have to push hard to get the plug in.

You got me.. :dunno:

Does your laptop PC have an HDMI out? Plumb that into the TV, it has both, A/V..

Or does the TV have a pair of RCA type audio INs ? (to use the 1/8 line out or headphone jack on the laptop with adapter pigtail)

My old Dell Inspiron 6000 has S-Vid, I use this with the above audio hookup..

edit: TT figger'd it out all by herself :rof:

I called a buddy and he looked on Technet (ot the TV equivalent). He swears that it says it has a 3.5" Phone plug, just under the HDMI ports on the side. He also says you should be able to hook it up to the back panel audio inputs, using a standard 3.5" phono to 2xRCA cable.

Hmm .. I should have dialed faster, huh?

Glad you got 'er working, and that it was something simple.

thanks guys. I don't know if the molding on the rubber/plastic for the jack was deformed from the factory or something, but I really had to push hard to get the plug to go in. I was real leery about breaking something on our new TV. Works now though.

Don't have many options with the laptop for connections. It was a lower end price as we were in a bit of a pickle awhile back needing a fully functioning laptop but no money to really be buying one. We dropped our TV package when we moved to save money and I thought it would be nice to stream some free movies/tv for the kids once in awhile.

I've been using optical audio from my DVD player to surround sound system for a number of years. Makes watching movies 10 times better than any sound system at a movie theater. Now I've got the picture quality to go with it :D . Only glitch I have is apparently my amp doesn't properly recognize Blue ray audio format as I can't get the true digital surround sound when I bought a new blueray plater. Gone through all the settings and I can only get simulated surround. As soon as I put in the DVD version of a movie in the player the digital surround comes back. The amp is getting to be pretty old by technology standards. I don't think Blueray had really come to the market when I bought it.

Back