• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Air filter

Will L.

Reaction score
My air filter is different dimensions so I am looking for brand not part numbers. Having been grossly underpowered in my n/a lead brick, I previously opted for the k&n oil filled unit that helps power slightly at the expense of more fines getting to the cylinders. Changed my mind (now that a turbo is added).

Does anyone have testing they have done with different air filters and oil samples to show silicone variances?

It's all over the net. Google K&N filters and see what you come up with. In short, steer clear of them. They're garbage. Spicer did some testing back in 2003 and the results have been posted for 10 years now. A bunch of us helped him with it back in the day.

AFE, S&B and Volant are my top pics. AFE because they offer some good filters, with an optional 7 layered called the Pro7R. S&B offers an 8 layered filter that's popular amongst diesel drivers and Volant, because they have an optional Donaldson filter instead of an oiled media. I personally have run all 3 butfor your application, you'd be interested in an AFE Pro7R filter or an S&B.

I agree, the k&n sucks. Big pain in the ass with cleaning and oiling and buying the cleaning kits.

I simply run a napa gold paper filter, made by wix. I like it, it does the job

6086.jpg6085.jpg

K&N filters are not what they used to be; "revolutionary" and "great".

I tried many, and S&B works best for me. It's the biggest dual cone one from their catalog that I could fit, bigger than the one in their CAI. My currnt setup transmits less vibration noise than stock, as it it supported by the turbo via rod and a big hose clamp on the end.

Sorry I don't have testing data, but I noticed the performance differences quickly
and didn't put up with the inferior ones long enough for a significant silicone particle difference in the oil.

Each motor is a bit different (like people), and you should find what works for you.

I plan to move the battery and make a cold air intake with a straighter air path.

The limited room under your doghouse will be a tough obstacle, IMO.

If you're curious about the air filter on my coolant overflow line, its there because I run Evans waterless coolant and a no-pressure cap. The filter prevents dirt from being sucked in as the coolant contracts. I do a lot of dirt driving, so I seal and filter as many orifices as possible, I used to run the Baja races, so I learned a bit about fine dust.

Back