• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Aftermarket Injectors

bowtiebrian

Reaction score
I'm thinking about replacing my injectors. The dealership says my truck does not qualify for the recall after thier diagnostics and now I am over in mileage for the recall, so I was wondering, what are some of your recommendations for aftermarket injectors? Perhaps ones that would offer better performance (might as well hot rod it up since I'm at it right?). Thanks for all the imput

Brian, why not fill in your sig so we all know what you have? Welcome to the forum btw!:thumbsup:
If you have an LB7, the injector warranty is 7yr/200k.
For replacements, there are plenty of horror stories about other than the OEM Bosch units. I'm sure plenty of our guys have opinions about them...):h

Hey Mike,
Is it 200k? for some reason I thought it was 150k ... whew .. as much as I would like to do the swap myself, time is just not on my side these days! LOL I've been reading some of the posts on here and nobody really seems to talk about any aftermarket ones ..just wondering it there was a raeson why - especially since I've read a few complaints on the OEM injectors

While the OEM injectors are lacking in design which has never been fixed...aftermarkets are just rebuilt OEM's with nothing better in them than the OEM's...and quality control is lacking in the aftermarket industry with their rebuilds... I would especially advise you to stay away from PensacolaDiesel ...we have a member here that will fill you in on his horror story if need be...

Right now... the OEM's are the best you are going to get...

more details are needed on the symptoms and what the dealer found that voided the warranty on them. here at the dealer in ct we havent turned one set down unless it was out by time or mileage. even then some of them got through with a call to gm.

Stay away from PENSACOLA diesel. the price is tempting, but it's sort of like russian roulette. The big problem is that BOSCH has the patent on the parts to rebuild the LB7 injectors, and they will not allow anybody but them to rebuild them. The only parts that they will sell to fix them is the nozzles and plungers, and there is a whole lot more goes into a remanufactured injector than that. So the aftermarket guys are buying up cores left and right on EBAY and anywhere else they can and are simply goiung through them and replacing the tips and plungers and testing them. Some work fine and others don't, but eventually the supply of good used will run out as they use them up which will leave you with junk to rebuild. How can you take a failed injector and simply replace the nozzle and expect it to be as good as new? That is the question you need to ask yourself(and them). If they tell you differently they are lieing, I've had them side by side with a GM rebuild and there was NO ZERO NADA comparison between the two.

The local dealership ran the required diagnostic tests to detemine if the injectors needed replacement, but found that the balance rates were good (within tolerance). Lately, I am experiencing the light blueish smoke at idle. My fuel economy has not gone down, and last time I did the oil there was no smell of diesel in it. Mind you, this has been going on since August.

Oh, also let me add that I bought the truck used in Florida, and when the local dealership in Michigan ran the tests, they found that the injectors had already been replaced at like 50,000 miles (I'm at 150,000 now). I don't know what injectors were installed, but I'd like to think that since it's in the Chevy computer system a chevy dealership did the work and that they'd install good injectors and not something aftermarket.
I had the water pump gaskets replaced last winter and have not lost any coolant since then.

Balance rates are not part of the test. The special policy has a very specific set of tests, starting with the rail pressure. It has to fail them in order or the policy does not apply.

i think what bud was getting at was the balance rate will kinda give you a gauge on how the injectors are doing, weather or not to take a further detailed step to diagnose them

Balance rates are a helpful diagnostic tool basically it tells you which cylinders are acting differntly howeve a high balance rate can come from a number of things which all relate back to injector issues or compression losses . I used to use Pensacola injectors till I found out gm parts direct wasn't a rip off for once and it was only 100 bucks more to buy from them.

The reason nobody talks about upgrading lb7 injectors is because they don't need it. They easily support 700hp and more. So unless you have got 25,000 laying around to build the rest of your truck to take that power. Don't waste your time on upgrading them. Besides it costs about a grand to have your injectors extrude honed and balanced and that's after you already have a good set of injectors.

Yep, the LB7 injectors hav bigger nozzles in them than the LLY and I believe they are also bigger than the LBZ's right from the git go. GM went to smaller injectors later on to help quieten them down, they just used longer pulsewidths and higher rail pressures to get the same amount of fuel in.

I am just dealing with the smoke....I do get a lot of stares while I am at the red light, ricers will roll up their windows when I am close to them and women drivers just stare at my truck.....not sure what they are thinking but who cares. When it gets really bad, like smoking going down the road I hope to have enough money saved to get it done.

OK, so who has the best price on LB7 injectors? my 01 with 101k just lost it, balance rates are fair but comand rail pressure won't go over 83k and I set P0093 large fuel leak :(
damn Bosch junk.

Really? Dealers around here sell them for 330 each. My discount still only gets me down to 240 each.

GMpartsDirect is $1625 shipped to your door...there is an $800 refundable core charge though...but it won't cost you more than $17 for a priority mail flat rate box to send them back...

so $1642 total comes to $205.25 each... and no sales tax either...

GMpartsDirect is $1625 shipped to your door...there is an $800 refundable core charge though...but it won't cost you more than $17 for a priority mail flat rate box to send them back...

so $1642 total comes to $205.25 each... and no sales tax either...

Thats the route I am going, Maybe I can talk with some friends out in tthe gulf coast area to see if we can have a GTG/Injector replacement party, heck one weekend we ought ot be able to do 2 trucks....):h

Thats the route I am going, Maybe I can talk with some friends out in tthe gulf coast area to see if we can have a GTG/Injector replacement party, heck one weekend we ought ot be able to do 2 trucks....):h

that would be one heck of a party if we could get a few others involved...):h

Back